Are Somalis chronically online or is there another reason why anything Somali related tends to attract a lot of attention?

It depends, most of somali is native but some words are derived from arabic which is normal. Every language has that tbh, somali pronunication is actually quite different from arabic you can watch a video and compare. English for example has a load of loan words from norman french

Maybe it's just certain words that remind me of arabic, like the ''kha'' sound, or the sound that derive from like, the middle of the throat if that makes sense. like when somalis say '
waan fiicanahay, it sounds like it comes from the same place the arabic letter ''kha'' would come from? kinda?

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
Conquered this, conquered that but the first Oromo language radio service was in Mogadishu, Somalia while Haile Selassie assassinated your leaders, musicians, poets and intellectuals left and right. They had to seek sanctuary in Somalia; is this historical amnesia? Somalis weren’t conquered by Ethiopia, even Menelik’s generals like Ras Makonnen, that were part of his push, suffered brutal defeats, despite the British imposing an arms-embargo on the locals;

867B47E6-C06F-4EAA-852C-9BCEDEFDD616.jpeg

The Dervish State likewise utterly dominated the Ogaden and harassed the Abyssinian garrison at Harar, where Abyssinians began to arm children to give the impression that the garrison was more formidable than it was. Indeed, Ethiopia benefited from the fact that the Somali people had to battle multiple European empires and were distracted. Haile Selassie, for his and his predecessors’ service to the British Empire, was awarded traditional Somali territory in a shady backroom deal, not through military might. The 77’ war showed that on a even battlefield, they would have permanently lost those ceded regions, and again a non-African superpower stood in our way not the mighty ‘Ethiopian conquerors’.

Your not conquered if your own language is the most dominant, if your own religion is the most dominant, if your people’s population is predominant (and the fastest growing at that), and if your ties with your greater Nation are the most dominant, it just means that your temporarily occupied. To be conquered is to delude yourself into buying the lie that you are part of the destructive brand of Amharo-Tigray Christian nationalism that wants to delete your people’s language, culture, religion and ethnicity and absorb you into their Habesha supra-ethnicity.

Conquered this, conquered that but the first Oromo language radio service was in Mogadishu, Somalia while Haile Selassie assassinated your leaders, musicians, poets and intellectuals left and right. They had to seek sanctuary in Somalia; is this historical amnesia? Somalis weren’t conquered by Ethiopia, even Menelik’s generals like Ras Makonnen, that were part of his push, suffered brutal defeats, despite the British imposing an arms-embargo on the locals;

View attachment 327195

The Dervish State likewise utterly dominated the Ogaden and harassed the Abyssinian garrison at Harar, where Abyssinians began to arm children to give the impression that the garrison was more formidable than it was. Indeed, Ethiopia benefited from the fact that the Somali people had to battle multiple European empires and were distracted. Haile Selassie, for his and his predecessors’ service to the British Empire, was awarded traditional Somali territory in a shady backroom deal, not through military might. The 77’ war showed that on a even battlefield, they would have permanently lost those ceded regions, and a non-African superpower stood in our way not the mighty ‘Ethiopian conquerors’.

Your not conquered if your own language is the most dominant, if your own religion is the most dominant, if your people’s population is predominant (and the fastest growing at that), and if your ties with your greater Nation are the most dominant, it just means that your temporarily occupied. To be conquered is to delude yourself into buying the lie that you are part of the destructive brand of Amharo-Tigray Christian nationalism that wants to delete your people’s language, culture, religion and ethnicity and absorb you into their Habesha supra-ethnicity.

I didn't deny that though. Any of that. But, what I said before was: The somalis within ethiopia were brought under ethiopia through conquest, exploitation of european interests, clan divisions, etc, while oromos were on both sides, some were brutally conquered and oppressed, while others were generals, elites, etc, going further back than haile selassies regime. Haile selassie himself was part oromo, some of his family being muslim oromo, in ethiopia, u have this in some places, christians and muslims marrying.
Haile selassie didn't even care about amharas or tigrayans, hence the reason why their regions remained poor like the other regions and why he brutally suppressed rebellions in the north too. He developed addis, harar, asmara, for the most part, only.
The 77 war, happened when ethiopia was fighting multiple rebel armies, including in eritrea, and dealing with instability within the govt and with arms suppliers (switched from us to ussr).
Not making excuses, but somalia picked the perfect time to attack then, no doubt, can't blame em'. It was smart and anyone else would've done the same,.

Three Moons

There are Palestinian commanders, generals, etc in the IDF too, yet most would find the characterisation that Palestinians are divided about their views on 🇮🇱 as absurd. I guess the same is not the case for the Oromo? You guys have fully drunk the Neftegna kool-aid?

What about your father, who once lived in Somalia, does he feel the same? (Genuine question).

There are Palestinian commanders, generals, etc in the IDF too, yet most would find the characterisation that Palestinians are divided about their views on 🇮🇱 as absurd. I guess the same is not the case for the Oromo? You guys have fully drunk the Neftegna kool-aid?

What about your father, who once lived in Somalia, does he feel the same? (Genuine question).

There are many differences though:
The Jews in Israel mostly came from Europe, the habesha and the oromo have been neighbors for centuries if not longer. We didn't only fight each other, we also married from each other, assimilated each other, etc, similar to some of our clans with somalis; we fought and took/lost lands from/with somalis, but also married them, assimilated them/got assimilated by them, etc.
Heck, I am not from the area bordering somalis, but as I've said, I get mistaken for being somali more than being asked if i'm ethiopian; even random white people say ''dude let me guess, you're somali?'' and random somali elders approach me at the masjid like ''
Sidee tahay, assalam alaykum?
I believe the almost legendary shaykh hussien, who helped spread Islam in parts of oromia, was somali.

In comparison to palestine/israle, We also have more land and more control over those lands, than the habeshas combined, the same cannot be said for palestine/palestinians. the habesha do not control anything in oromo land, the police are oromo, the militias are oromo, the commanders are oromo,Etc etc etc.
a lot of naftenga were oromo though, that's the thing, oromos conquered other oromos, in those times, in a lot of areas, people identified more with their province than an all encompassing oromo nationalism, or more recently amhara nationalism, or tigrayan nationalism.
example: an amhara in shawa, may feel closer to an oromo in shawa, than they would to an amhara from gojjam, and the same for oromos.

@Abba Sadacha You were also conquerors you are right until the end of Zeman Mesafint.

After that, any remaining Oromo elite was Amharaised and only maintained their position by converting to Christianity and adopting Amhara culture- they cannot be meaningfully described as Oromo. This is why they kicked out Lij Iyasu in that unceremonious fashion for daring to reclaim his religion and heritage as an Oromo and why Haile Selassie would hid the Muslim Oromo heritage of his mother until her death.

It is tokenism to claim post Zeman Mesafint assimilated leaders of Oromo heritage as Oromo when they denied their heritage and acted in service of a Habasha dominated empire! Or do you mean to tell me that until very recently Oromos had Amhara names and pretended to be Christian for a laugh?

Whilst the Somalis were encroached upon and raided, the Ethiopians never secured Somali Galbeed except by the British handing it over. There was no grand conquest.

Three Moons

There are many differences though:
The Jews in Israel mostly came from Europe, the habesha and the oromo have been neighbors for centuries if not longer. We didn't only fight each other, we also married from each other, assimilated each other, etc, similar to some of our clans with somalis; we fought and took/lost lands from/with somalis, but also married them, assimilated them/got assimilated by them, etc.
Heck, I am not from the area bordering somalis, but as I've said, I get mistaken for being somali more than being asked if i'm ethiopian; even random white people say ''dude let me guess, you're somali?'' and random somali elders approach me at the masjid like ''
Sidee tahay, assalam alaykum?
I believe the almost legendary shaykh hussien, who helped spread Islam in parts of oromia, was somali.

In comparison to palestine/israle, We also have more land and more control over those lands, than the habeshas combined, the same cannot be said for palestine/palestinians. the habesha do not control anything in oromo land, the police are oromo, the militias are oromo, the commanders are oromo,Etc etc etc.
a lot of naftenga were oromo though, that's the thing, oromos conquered other oromos, in those times, in a lot of areas, people identified more with their province than an all encompassing oromo nationalism, or more recently amhara nationalism, or tigrayan nationalism.
example: an amhara in shawa, may feel closer to an oromo in shawa, than they would to an amhara from gojjam, and the same for oromos.

This sounds a lot like the Mamluks or the case of the Janissaries, who were from Greek, Albanian, Serbian, etc Balkan backgrounds and also conquered their own peoples for the Ottomans, while some of them like the Albanians were even part of the ruling classes, and all of these ethnicities also lived with the Turks for centuries, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a Greek or a Serb that has anything good to say about the Ottomans or Turkey.

A lot of us here were under the impression that Oromos, as a whole, wanted to see the materialisation of an independent Oromia or Oromo Republic. You can take any Somali, from the unionists to the secessionists, old to young, man or woman, it doesn’t matter; if you presented them with a magical button that would result in the permanent collapse of Ethiopia, they would break their thumbs after repeatedly pressing on it.

What I gather from you is that this isn’t the case with the Oromos.

This sounds a lot like the Mamluks or the case of the Janissaries, who were from Greek, Albanian, Serbian, etc Balkan backgrounds and also conquered their own peoples for the Ottomans, while some of them like the Albanians were even part of the ruling classes, and all of these ethnicities also lived with the Turks for centuries, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a Greek or a Serb that has anything good to say about the Ottomans or Turkey.

A lot of us here were under the impression that Oromos, as a whole, wanted to see the materialisation of an independent Oromia or Oromo Republic. You can take any Somali, from the unionists to the secessionists, old to young, man or woman, it doesn’t matter; if you presented them with a magical button that would result in the permanent collapse of Ethiopia, they would break their thumbs after repeatedly pressing on it.

Probably a split between say Oromo from Shewa and near the Amhara (Evangelical Christian or Orthodox) vs the rest.

Now that Abiy's risen and done a coup in the army I guess the Oromo want to govern all Ethiopia.

@Abba Sadacha You were also conquerors you are right until the end of Zeman Mesafint.

After that, any remaining Oromo elite was Amharaised and only maintained their position by converting to Christianity and adopting Amhara culture- they cannot be meaningfully described as Oromo. This is why they kicked out Lij Iyasu in that unceremonious fashion for daring to reclaim his religion and heritage as an Oromo and why Haile Selassie would hid the Muslim Oromo heritage of his mother until her death.

It is tokenism to claim post Zeman Mesafint assimilated leaders of Oromo heritage as Oromo when they denied their heritage and acted in service of a Habasha dominated empire! Or do you mean to tell me that until very recently Oromos had Amhara names and pretended to be Christian for a laugh?

Whilst the Somalis were encroached upon and raided, the Ethiopians never secured Somali Galbeed except by the British handing it over. There was no grand conquest.

tewodros coming to power ended zeman mesafint, but even he, could not crush the oromo power, and he was at war with oromo clans, and other habesha groups too, for his entire 13 year reign. Even when he died, as british troops closed in, he was surrounded by oromo warriors on all sides, with escape being pretty much impossible; check this:

not to mention menelik depended on oromo generals, had his life protected by them at a time when he didn't have an army, and etc.
Basically, it is to say, there is no single perspective that sums up the oromo perspective on ethiopia, because it'd differ depending on the region and their relationship with the state.
fast forward to today, and i'd dare say, most would not want to secede, but rather see oromia remain automonous, with the somalis being autonomous, the afar, the tigrayans, etc.
there's 1 group that seems to be against this, and u know, and we know who they are..?

there didn't need to be a grand conquest because the somalis there were divided and didn't resist the ethiopian empire as much as they could. the clans there, some allied with ethiopia, to fight others who they were rivals with. in oromoland, it was like that too, and in some cases, there was fierce resistance that took years upon years to suppress (like in arsi).
The british, in 1948, did give ogaden to ethiopia, but what i mean to say is, ethiopias claim to the ogaden, whether fair or not, was established long before that. the british came to rule the ogaden after they led forces that kicked the italians out of ethiopia, (1941-1955 was britishogaden rule)
the haud was next, in 1955.

Yes, and we've been integrated as a whole, with some regions being integrated than others, into ethiopian society.
Same cannot be said for somalis. I think, of course, a lot of it can be attributed to proximity. we're closer to them, we directly border them in many areas, so of course we'd be influenced and also in turn, influence them. the oromo clans in the east, for example, have been influenced by somalis and vice-versa. well, no offense, but somalis think collapsing a country is a good thing, they did it to their own country, (snm established peace in SL though-props to them), so we're not surprised they wish the same evil for ethiopia, (not all of them), but the truth is, it'd just lead to more wars, more refugees flooding somalia (many of u cry about the refugees u have now; now multiple that by a 100!),

''The destinies of Abyssinia are for the present in the hands of the Gallas. If England is to have any more dealings with Abyssinia, they will be the other ''party,'' those fierce and daring Mohammedan tribes who have long occupied the fairest provinces intervening between Northern Abyssinia and Shoa, and who have made of Enarea and Kaffa, Galla republics and kingdoms. A long time ago, when Mr Plowden first went on his strange and fatal mission, he found it hard to understand and disentangle the records of the dismembered royalty of Ethiopia; and since then the barbarous, romantic episode of the conquests, the rule, the wild enthusiastic visions, the despair, and the death of King Tewodros, has been added to the bewildering history.''

[Every Saturday: A Journal of Choice Reading, Volume 6
page 508]

''The most important of the other races that occupy this portion of Africa is the Galla/Oromo. These Oromos have, at different periods, for some 100 years past, seized uon the most fertile provinces of the ancient empire of Abyssinia, and have spread themselves from the red sea and the blue nile to the equator. They are divided into numerous tribes, having the 1 common characteristic of being undaunted horsemen. So strong is this propensity, that the tribe of Azebu Gallas, who occupy a territory between teegray and the red sea, purchase horses from the colder provinces of warrahaimano and wallo, and mount 10,000 horse, in a district unfavorable to the existence of the animal, and where it is never bred.

Could these tribes, 50 or 60 in number, unite, nothing could withstand their numbers and impetuosity, and they would trample under foot, like a Scythian host, all the land as far as Khartoum; but, occupied as they are by intestine wars, there is little probablity of such a torrent, unless a chief should arise amongst them like Mohammed Gran, that famous warrior, who led the armies of Adal, renowned for strength and swiftness of foot, even to the vicinity of Gondar; and would, 350 years since, have extinguished the Abyssinian name and faith, but for the timely succour of Portuguese kill and valour.''

[Abyssinia and Its People; or, Life in the Land of Prester John, Pages 196-198; published in 1868]

''The ethnic substratum of the Garre and the Babille were Oromo who had been dominated and Islamized by the Somali. Although the ''Kotu'' culture in the eastern part of the Harar Plateau is marked by its uniformity and bilingualism frequently occurs, Somali ethnicity is the predominating one. This constellation is largely due to Islam, because Islamization is almost equivalent to ''Somali-ization'' in that area.''

[Islamic History and Culture in Southern Ethiopia: Collected Essays
By Ulrich Braukämper, Page 111.]

Yes, and we've been integrated as a whole, with some regions being integrated than others, into ethiopian society.
Same cannot be said for somalis. I think, of course, a lot of it can be attributed to proximity. we're closer to them, we directly border them in many areas, so of course we'd be influenced and also in turn, influence them. the oromo clans in the east, for example, have been influenced by somalis and vice-versa. well, no offense, but somalis think collapsing a country is a good thing, they did it to their own country, (snm established peace in SL though-props to them), so we're not surprised they wish the same evil for ethiopia, (not all of them), but the truth is, it'd just lead to more wars, more refugees flooding somalia (many of u cry about the refugees u have now; now multiple that by a 100!),
A peaceful dissolution of Ethiopia would be a dream come true for us and we aren't ashamed to say it. Ethiopia has been hostile to us ever since Tewodros rose to power and has for every decade since conspired against, fought us, massacred civilians, etc.

There would have been no 1977, no division of our land, no civil war, etc if that entity named Ethiopia didn't exist.

On the other hand, we don't care about Ethiopia outside of our people's territory, we are more than happy to live in peace with our neighbours as we did before the Habasha rulers got a bit too big for their boots. We don't have imperial designs. The same can't be said for Ethiopia's deep state.

As for the Oromo experience, you have those heavily Amhara influenced section, I imagine it was these people specifically that dominated in terms of Oromo figures.

''Finally, in 1865, Menelik, now 21 years of age, escaped (Magdala) and sought refuge with Workitu, Queen of the Wollo Oromos, determined at all costs to recover his inheritance in Shoa.
Now Queen Workitu had been compelled to give her son as hostage to Tewodros; so no sooner did the Emperor hear that Menelik was at her court then he sent her the following laconic message:
Either you protect Menelik and your son will be executed, or else you give up Menelik and your son will be restored to you.
The old men, her advisors, strongly urged her to surrender Menelik, firstly in order to save her son's life, secondly in order to save her own throne; but, contrary to all expectations, this brave woman firmly refused to do so. 'If I follow your advice,' she said, 'it would mean two victims, both my son and menelik; now God designs that one of the two shall be saved.' She therefore sent Menelik to Shoa under a strong (Oromo) escort, and Tewodros had her son executed; this was the first of three great occasions on which Menelik's life was preserved in an almost miraculous manner.''
[The Nineteenth Century and After, Volume 53, Pages 85-86;
Published: New York, Leonard Scott Pub. Co. ; 1901-1950]

Three Moons

You’re really good at passive-aggressive commentary, I have noticed this before. You obviously didn’t catch what I tried to convey with the magical button; across all lines in the Somali political landscape, there is no disagreement that it would be favourable to the Somali Nation and people to have a potential reality of an Ethiopia-absent Horn of Africa, and the emergence of multiple new friendly countries like Eritrea, most of us thought the Oromos, an historically oppressed people, felt the same.

There are wars already happening in Ethiopia, in-fact the most destructive ones, with the highest death tolls happened there multiple times in the last 50 years, including the highest death rate in the world in the last 5 years. What you revealed in this thread is basically that this ‘Cushitic’ brotherhood is actually just linguistic fantasy mumbo jumbo and we should consider the Oromos no different from say the Amhara or the Tigray, as you too have a high interest in the preservation and continuation of the Ethiopian state.

You’re really good at passive-aggressive commentary, I have noticed this before. You obviously didn’t catch what I tried to convey with the magical button; across all lines in the Somali political landscape, there is no disagreement that it would be favourable to the Somali Nation and people to have a potential reality of an Ethiopia-absent Horn of Africa, and the emergence of multiple new friendly countries like Eritrea, most of us thought the Oromos, an historically oppressed people, felt the same.

There are wars already happening in Ethiopia, in-fact the most destructive ones, with the highest death tolls happened there multiple times in the last 50 years, including the highest death rate in the world in the last 5 years. What you revealed in this thread is basically that this ‘Cushitic’ brotherhood is actually just linguistic fantasy mumbo jumbo and we should consider the Oromos no different from say the Amhara or the Tigray, as you too have a high interest in the preservation and continuation of the Ethiopian state.
Cushitic brotherhood doesn't exist

It's just used to screw us over as politicians pretend they don't want to stab us in the back. A lot of people are seduced by the Ethiopiawinet concept and see themselves as an Ethiopian ethnic group rather than a nation.

Last edited:
Ajnabis are just drawn to us for some reason. Check the rts of some of those tweets and you'd see loads of Ajanabi flags. Even in the videos which Somali is being spoken. Like what do they understand from the video?
I got ajanabi friends sending me dabcasar memes. they don’t even know what he’s saying they just like his expressions and sounds he makes

I swear it’s just an echo chamber/you get what you want pushed to you.

I watch a YouTube video on marriage and suddenly I’m seeing Muzzmatch & Salaam ads, wedding videos on TikTok.

You think it's a ''shame'' because you are ignorant of ethiopian history and the oromos complicated relationship with ethiopia. I can get why somalis feel that way, because they have only been on the conquered side (within ethiopia), but oromos have been on both sides, the conquered and the conquerors. Therefore, our situations within ethiopia are very different, hence why our perspectives would also, inevitably, be different.
Conquerors :hemad: y’all are cannon fodders for habeshas historically and now:pachah1:Oromo and conquerors can’t be in the same sentence:lolbron:habesha is literally ethiosemites, oromos are cushitised omites:mjlol:yall ain’t even pure cushites let alone semites:fantasia2:

Trending

Latest posts