Barkhad Abdi To Be In New Movie!

Only way to fight this is by getting our own Michael B Jordan.

That's the only way.
Never going to happen. USA Somali population is too small and religious, somalis back home don't care about looks but what food they're going to bring to the table and the government is too corrupt, European Somalis are jobless and extremists.

A bunch of grown men worried about another niggas looks :birdman: wallahi you niggas got sugar in your tank

you say this as if our claim to cultural relevance isn't Captain Phillips.

idc what he looks like, i do care that he is our representative for some strange reason. not to mention the fact that he was only paid 65k for the performance that has tarred our rep with "look at me, i'm the captain now".

probably one of the cheapest slander campaigns ever.

What's with these tags? I feel like the film will be about Somali tahriibayal going through croatia or something to get to Europe. This wecel will deliver another Massive blow to our image in exchange for scrapes. I could care less if the film doesn't involve Somalis.
Somali kids got bullied because of the day. All he had to do was go gym and put on weight 🤣

You know why they're mad, because these little qajacs go on cadaan websites, to ask other men to rate their looks, and they also cry about their features (whilst looking perfectly normal). Waa wax jiran oo kalsoonida ka maqanyahay, ilaahay ha caafiyo. I wish we had a normal government, and they were forced into military training. That would sort their issues out very quickly.

Sending love to Barkhad even though I do wish all Somalis stayed out of that demonic Hollyweird. But I hate how insecure Somalis dogpile on him, as if all Somali males have to look like supermodels. Shaqo yeesha oo ninkaan islaameed nabad galiya.
Wait I thought this was a joke do people actually do this???

Somali kids got bullied because of the day. All he had to do was go gym and put on weight 🤣
This is a great point. Its a low blow to go after the brothers looks, but why not buff up in the gym and try to you know… give a good impression atleast? Honestly not a big demand

7Rinx

Somalia Hanoolato
I don’t watch his roles because I find the portrayals of Somalis in Hollywood to be cringe but you guys should know Brakhad is a genuinely nice human being. If any of you ever met him, you wouldn’t be making such mean comments. If you dislike the role then also dislike the political and social problems that put people in the situations where they become pirates or desperately going down that tahriib path.

Do I like these roles or that he’s doing them? No but I don’t personally have any malice twords the man as a human being. He’s trying to make a life for himself as an actor in a cruel world, do you think if he denies these roles he could be cast in the same roles as Timothée Chalamet or Denzel Washington? Most likely never. I agree that acting or Hollywood fame is not really a goal most should have for themselves as western media is a propaganda tool, even Black Panther had an agenda subversive to black people.

I think a better idea might be indie films produced, written and directed by our own people, for those who take liberal interpretations of Islam that would allow such a thing. Regardless, even if you are completely against acting or entertainment, the outcome of Somalis doing this in a more polished way will have a better impact on society then giving others the license to tell our story.

Of course traditional Somali cinema/theatre has its own history & context in the Somali language. When I was growing up it existed on DVDs & now it’s on YouTube (also at social gatherings in person). If we are talking about producing films that are more palatable to diaspora/non-Somalis in the English language with western cinematic themes/styles, then why don’t all these educated & successful Somalis start their own production companies (if they haven’t already)? Instead of writing endless spoken word pieces about Dhagdeer & Araweelo maalinwalba. Do what Spike Lee does, he makes is own movies for an audience of his own people & hires them as the actors.

In real life Barkhad is a gentleman, always has a smile on his face, a really nice guy who is kind to others & doesn’t deserve all the vitriol he gets over his looks. He like everyone else is trying to make his way in the world the best way he knows how & I certainly don’t begrudge him for not wanting to be a limousine driver for the rest of his life. He just wants to help his family and those around him get a better life through his acting career. I wouldn’t have made the same choice but that doesn’t mean he deserves to be bashed constantly for his appearance.

Last edited:
This is a great point. Its a low blow to go after the brothers looks, but why not buff up in the gym and try to you know… give a good impression atleast? Honestly not a big demand
At the risk of sounding rude, don’t you think his look helped him get the pirate role?Somalis have confidence regardless of their looks. He was probably oblivious to what was being said about him. I think he should have got himself fit even for the sake of career progress. His physique alone will rule him out of a lot of action roles. Cadaan will have him playing stereotypical roles duel

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
I wish he went on a 3000+ calories diet, consisting of at-least 200 to 250 grams of protein and worked out four times a week with heavy weights. He would look completely different after six months.

He is basically on a subpar diet, the kind that made a jacked person like 50 cent look like a terminally ill patient.

4B352CE7-9B78-4F91-9946-D6D0A4BB67C6.jpeg

Another good example of this terrible diet would be Christian Bale in the Machinist and how he transformed himself for Batman Begins. If Barkhad enlisted a nutritionist and a personal trainer he could make the greatest comeback in Hollywood history 😄

08E04E82-3756-42C4-8126-DF72A41F6CF2.jpeg

This man is a great example for all you niggas that ain’t got shit but excuses. To make it big in hollywood and barely speak english…the true definition of acting talent and dare I say….laandheerenimo
watching you tom hanks GIF by BAFTA

Bazed

Tired.
VIP
Good on him and I wish to see him in more films.

I enjoy seeing him in Blade Runner also:

He was also in a film called good times with Robert Patterson as a security guard. He could easily be a good indie actor if he dedicates himself, but he also needs to brake out of these typecast roles he gets.

This man is a great example for all you niggas that ain’t got shit but excuses. To make it big in hollywood and barely speak english…the true definition of acting talent and dare I say….laandheerenimo
watching you tom hanks GIF by BAFTA
Put your hand on your heart and say he didn’t get a lucky break as he fitted the stereotypical profile of a pirate white liberals were looking for. His acting is average if not trash.

Bazed

Tired.
VIP
Barkhad is a good guy the problem is he isn't pushing to be in different roles. Anytime he is in a project the characters he plays are too similar. He needs to go into the indie scene and play a character far different to what he's use to. Perhaps a goofy comedy or a thriller, shit even a horror would be cool. If he's serious about acting then he should be looking for roles that expand his abilities and push rather than playing to his comforts.

Note: this also goes to any somalis that want to go into acting. I would be nice to see more Somalis in film.

Trending