“We have to avoid that Gaza becomes a new Mogadishu”

Despite the fact the civil war ended in 2012 and there have been even bigger, more recent conflicts in the East African/Arab world Mogadishu today is still seen as the gold standard when it comes to failure and lawlessness.

We need a damn PR team

World

VIP
Gaza is unfortunately much worse than Mogadishu ever was. We are talking 99 % of buildings flattened and a genocide that killed over 10 % of the population.

We don’t need a better PR, we actually need to get our shit together. Our major war ended decades ago and we’re still in a shambolic position. You can’t be mad that the world has noticed.

As for Gaza, the war as impacted them much worse than our war, the sheer brutality and the amount of people murdered in such a short space of time is disheartening to see. Only time can tell if they can quickly rebuild and get back on their feet.

We don’t need a better PR, we actually need to get our shit together. Our major war ended decades ago and we’re still in a shambolic position. You can’t be mad that the world has noticed.

As for Gaza, the war as impacted them much worse than our war, the sheer brutality and the amount of people murdered in such a short space of time is disheartening to see. Only time can tell if they can quickly rebuild and get back on their feet.
Get back on what feet? That demolished land will be rebuilt by new immigrant jews.

Mogadishu is sort of deceptive in that the city might look alright. But it's my understanding that there are a million idps who live in tents outside the city. I suspect most diaspora people who come to mogadishu don't leave the city except by plane

Give it another 30 more years Mogadishu Somalia will become the new Japan in Africa with its light train systems and beach front properties

That's our fault. We used to be known as the pearl of the Indian oceans , the lions of Africa. Due to us fighting each other and burning our country down our image is in the mud.

We were also known as '' The Land of Treasuries'' as well. Mostly by our immediate Eastern neighbors .

I kinda agree with @Angelina our PR doesn't matter, sorting ourselves out is more important.

Others can believe what they want about us or our country, whats important is for us to set the facts straight for ourselves so we have an understanding of ourselves and our situation.

Thats what i have been working towards. And thats what was part of the solution offered by Abdi Ismail Samatar in the video i shared in the other thread:

Check out what he says.

Mogadishu is sort of deceptive in that the city might look alright. But it's my understanding that there are a million idps who live in tents outside the city. I suspect most diaspora people who come to mogadishu don't leave the city except by plane

The IDPS are not from the city at all. They are displaced people from the country side, they are displaced from their homes. The camps are not their homes.

Last edited:
Gaza is unfortunately much worse than Mogadishu ever was. We are talking 99 % of buildings flattened and a genocide that killed over 10 % of the population.
100%. Mogadishu and Gaza can't be cited at the same place for similarities. Our mind can't fully comprehend the genocide happening in Gaza.

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
We just a better shithole. They should know now. At least 80% of are infrastructure is not destroyed and only half of Somalia population is facing a food crisis instead of the whole country

We are a far better shithole /s

Last edited:
We were also known as '' The Land of Treasuries'' as well. Mostly by our immediate Eastern neighbors .

I kinda agree with @Angelina our PR doesn't matter, sorting ourselves out is more important.

Others can believe what they want about us or our country, whats important is for us to set the facts straight for ourselves so we have an understanding of ourselves and our situation.

Thats what i have been working towards. And thats what was part of the solution offered by Abdi Ismail Samatar in the video i shared in the other thread:

Check out what he says.

The IDPS are not from the city at all. They are displaced people from the country side, they are displaced from their homes. The camps are not their homes.
Yeah that's true that it's not their homes. But the fact is that they rely on the city services and are a cheap source of labor and are exploited by the factions based in Mogadishu

Well 90% of Somalis claim they were fleeing Mogadishu and lie to get sharci. Meanwhile the diaspora is mainly filled with people from somaliland, Puntland and DDSI.

Obviously people are gonna think the city is in a constant state of strife if every country in the west is receiving refugees from there.

Neither Somalia or Mogadishu is a shithole. Though there are political challenges its recovering. Mogadishu believe it or not is actually doing much better now and has been rebuilding for the past few years and going through a real estate boom and return to normality.

See it for yourselves

On top of that there is a rise in affordable housing and the expansion of a middle class.

Rebuilding Mogadishu: The Rise of Affordable Housing Estates in Somalia’s Capital​

With that said, we have lot a work to do on the political, civic building and security front, but Mogadishu is far from some sort of dystopian hell hole others and people on this thread are trying to paint it to be.

If you visit the place you will open to beach resorts, big amusement parks, animal zoos/safaris, scuba diving and desert rides etc

What this actually shows is that real Somalis are not sitting around on forums and social media collecting bad opinion pieces about Somalia and Mogadishu, they are living in their own image and are actively trying progress their country forward. Alhamdulillah

Yeah that's true that it's not their homes. But the fact is that they rely on the city services and are a cheap source of labor and are exploited by the factions based in Mogadishu

They rely on services by NGOs actually , and relatives in the city not as cheap labor at all but for livelihood and support. They are displaced from their homes after all and many have begun to return, so hopefully will see more of it.

Last edited:

Despite the fact the civil war ended in 2012 and there have been even bigger, more recent conflicts in the East African/Arab world Mogadishu today is still seen as the gold standard when it comes to failure and lawlessness.

We need a damn PR team
Slightly related, but it reminded me of a passage I read recently by an American Afro-pessimist. Irrespective of their position, the thought of doing worse than a Black or African country taps into the ingrained fear of any association with subhuman blacks, who are seen as the lowest rung of humanity in their eyes…

Well 90% of Somalis claim they were fleeing Mogadishu and lie to get sharci. Meanwhile the diaspora is mainly filled with people from somaliland, Puntland and DDSI.

Obviously people are gonna think the city is in a constant state of strife if every country in the west is receiving refugees from there.
Still, the Hawiye warlord era is what ruined Muqdisho image. There was anarchy and moryaanism for more than 20 years which could have been prevented if the guys who took muqdisho made a simple agreement.

Trending