A Small Proof for How Far West Somali Territory Was

Do we know what Barara means

I will try find out.

Hawiye is just one clan among Somali i don't why you guys are trynna drag them into all directions. And the oromonized Somalis are not just Hawiye,

But yeah that statement isn't entirely wrong a lot of areas was inhabited by Somalis before the Oromo invasions, you can see it in the medieval sources and chronicles.

It does not however mean that those territories belong to us today.

Those Baabili guys are mostly Hawiye. I mentioned them because they live in Haadaamo which is 60km from the town and the milk that supplies Addis comes from Babile livestock market.

IMG_0313.jpeg

I will try find out.

Those Baabili guys are mostly Hawiye. I mentioned them because they live in Haadaamo which is 60km from the town and the milk that supplies Addis comes from Babile livestock market.

View attachment 328344

I know there is a oromonized Hawiye in Babile. It's not a mind blowing reveal or anything because they are mentioned in that area consistently, there is even a demographic study on it:
Reconstructing the identities of Afran Qalo Oromo: A case of Babile Tribe

You can't use that fact to drag them into other areas along a modern train route and try to equate them to a text where the Libration Front is advocating for the liberation of the territories of the Oromo Abbo and Warya and their southern areas.

Last edited:
I know there is a oromonized Hawiye in Babile. It's not a mind blowing reveal or anything because they are mentioned in that area consistently, there is even a study on it: https://www.ijsrp.org/research-paper-0320/ijsrp-p9998.pdf

You can't use that fact to drag them into other areas along a modern train route and try to equate them to a text of the Libration Front who was advocating for the liberation of the territories of the Oromo Abbo and Wariya in southern areas.

No one is dragging anyone anywhere. It’s the Hawiye that lived historically that far west. We literally supply the capital city today with protein.

IMG_4762.jpeg

I just stumbled across a source from a European explorer who saw a site that is still told in oral narratives today- a site where Imam Ahmad would tie his horses. The explorer mistakenly refers to Ahmed Guray as Muhammad

It is located in modern day Addis (known to the Oromos as Fin-Finne) and the area is still inhabited by Karrayu (of Karanle descent) and other Somali clans.
So, addis unuka leh?
1715372298718.png

This is something I know from people it's not a textbook thing but there might be books that mention it.
I saw this text long ago which mentions something similar, somalis living in the surrounding region of ankobar:
Screenshot_20240511-002552_Gallery.jpg

"inhabits the surroundings of Ankober."

ankobar is located right next to addis ababa:
Screenshot_20240511-002151_Google.jpg

@daljirkadahsoon I don’t really like taking information from sheekhs but this guy is righteous mashallah and well known.

Sheekh Xuseen Ilahi ha barakeeyo

He is 100% right I am glad to see there is more light being shed on this issue and increased historical awareness.

That post from the other day about Cadan and Somalis is spreading more than I thought it would (credits to the very dedicated historian who revealed it)

The Sheekhs who maintain their chains are btw some of the most well informed people we have and have many manuscripts

Reading about modern somali history is just one L after another . All our sncinet sites either bombed, pillaged or taken apart by ajanabis. You can't help but feel slightly depressed when you learn that bebera once had an aqueduct and mogadihsu was a city filled with a bunch of large buildings multiple stories high at one time. We're like the remnants of a fallen cvilization.

Sheekh Xuseen Ilahi ha barakeeyo

He is 100% right I am glad to see there is more light being shed on this issue and increased historical awareness.

That post from the other day about Cadan and Somalis is spreading more than I thought it would (credits to the very dedicated historian who revealed it)

The Sheekhs who maintain their chains are btw some of the most well informed people we have and have many manuscripts
Reading about modern somali history is just one L after another . All our sncinet sites either bombed, pillaged or taken apart by ajanabis. You can't help but feel slightly depressed when you learn that bebera once had an aqueduct and mogadihsu was a city filled with a bunch of large buildings multiple stories high at one time. We're like the remnants of a fallen cvilization.

There is no documented evidence or proof that Somalis ever lived in Addis or founded it as far as i am aware. Never heard about it
It does not matter what some fringe Sheikh from Djibouti says in 2024 on tiktok, lets stick to what we are certain of and can validate.

Everything else you mentioned about Somali settlement of Mogadishu or berbera is documented and pretty much standard knowledge in no way comparable, there is no Ajanabi plot to take over Somali history. No L's either. These cities with their ups and downs continued into the present day, not fallen at all.

Berbera and Mogadishu are coming a long nicely today. Berbera developing it's entire beachside even more with pedestrian walkways, 41 benches, 10 gazebos, 36 sunbeds, 3 swings, 35 recycling bins, 324 trees, and 203 solar-powered streetlights1 and expanded its port even more thanks to new investments . Mogadishu is rebuilding fast like i have shown in another thread. Both thriving just as they did in the past.

I saw this text long ago which mentions something similar, somalis living in the surrounding region of ankobar:
View attachment 328355

"inhabits the surroundings of Ankober."

ankobar is located right next to addis ababa:
View attachment 328356

Although this piece of information lase shared is worth looking into.

and what the story here is and the important context to this mention of Somalis

Last edited:
Adiss Ababa only grew the last few centuries and the Oromos claim it was originally. I would not be surprised if some Somalis were involved in the trade Down there before the Solomonic dynasty invaded. The sheikh needs to provide a source though.

Adiss Ababa only grew the last few centuries and the Oromos claim it was originally. I would be surprised if some Somalis were involved inthe trade Down there before the Solomonic dynasty invaded. The sheikh needs to provide a source though.

I think people like the Djibouti Sheikh in that tiktok video are conflating and mixing the settlements origins as a minor camp/village, with it's development into an large urban city that happened with the French initiated rail road that was built by Arab and Somali workers and traders connecting it into Djibouti in 1894 -1917. Before this Addis Ababa wasn't really anything to speak of or even a town.
A crew of Arab and Somali workers,[12] overseen by Europeans, began to press inland with the railway and its associated telegraph. Ethiopians were hired largely as security forces, to prevent the theft of materials on the line.
Chemin_de_fer_djibouto-%C3%A9thiopien-en.png

This may have led some Somalis to settle along this newly establish trade route in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

So we need to be wary of this when we look at these maps and mentions. Doesn't mean that Somalis founded or lived in these areas in previous history.

Last edited:

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
That's not a map of Galbeed.

It would be interesting if we were going to reconstruct Somali population distrubtion in the medieval times it would look different than our modern perceptions of what these historical locations were.

For example historical Bali is not the same as the current day Bali zone. Bali was far too the North and East of it near the shabelle river.
do you have a map that shows us the somali territories in galbeed during medieval times? likd an accurate map?

do you have a map that shows us the somali territories in galbeed during medieval times? likd an accurate map?
Accurate maps pin pointing single population groups settlement and territories in any context are a modern thing.

There is descriptions of location and territorial extant of polities and general mentions of cultural groups and names in sources, based on those sources Somalis was further west bordering Amharas clashing with them in Showa and their memories of us. Not so far west that we were near Addis though. What we can do with that information is reconstruct maps, and no we don't have those types of maps yet.

Although i did share an old medieval map (detail/accuracy pales in comparison to modern ones) and medieval descriptions of Awdals territorial extant. Take a look:
Not accurate at all. At least consult direct primary sources on that period if you are going to make maps out of it.
Awdal was not in Southern Somalia (No idea where OP got that from) and was not confined to that location shown in that map he posted.

It extended from the Djibouti-Zeila corridor to and over Cape Guardafui (Bari-Nugaal) Vassal and in the interior past Harar until it reached the Hawash/Showa river/plateu.

Portuguese description on Awdal's territory in year 1520:
AvYpUYB.png

Same is shown in internal/external Arabic sources, in fact the Arabic sources even taking a further and describing interior towns connecting it to the wider polity.

Heck even maps like these made a century after is more accurate:

Dutch%20School%20-%20Map%20of%20Africa%20from%20Nova%20Africa%20Descriptio%20published%20in%20Amsterdam%20in%20the%201660s%20by%20Dutch%20cartographer%20Frederik%20de%20Wit%20%20-%20%28MeisterDrucke-61894%29.jpg

Last edited:
I think people like the Djibouti Sheikh in that tiktok video are conflating and mixing the settlements origins as a minor camp/village, with it's development into an large urban city that happened with the French initiated rail road that was built by Arab and Somali workers and traders connecting it into Djibouti in 1894 -1917. Before this Addis Ababa wasn't really anything to speak of or even a town.

Chemin_de_fer_djibouto-%C3%A9thiopien-en.png

This may have led some Somalis to settle along this newly establish trade route in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

So we need to be wary of this when we look at these maps and mentions. Doesn't mean that Somalis founded or lived in these areas in previous history.
Adiss Ababa was founded recently but I would not completely rule rule Somali farmers, traders or others being around the area before it grew into a town. The Oromos called it Finefinee or something like that before. Somali traders were known to travel inside Oromo territories. A little of speculation does not hurt 😉

Adiss Ababa was founded recently but I would not completely rule rule Somali farmers, traders or others being around the area before it grew into a town. The Oromos called it Finefinee or something like that before. Somali traders were known to travel inside Oromo territories. A little of speculation does not hurt 😉
The settlement existed from the medieval period before but the modern urban city was initiated by Ethiopian leaders with the help European colonialists through the rail road project.

I don't think Somalis lived there much tbh , but they were involved in the building of the trade route and the rail road leading up to Addis in the late 1800s and early 1900s. And they didn't come as farmers or anything but as workers and traders helping out on a French rail road project leading to Djibouti city on the other hand and Dire Dawa in the middle passing through Somali inhabited areas.

Trending