A victory for secularism?! WTH is going on in France?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Pork or nothing: how school dinners are dividing France

The battle over national identity is being played out on children’s lunch plates. Is scrapping a pork-free option a victory for secularism – or just an example of religious intolerance?

After years of French controversies over headscarves, pork has become the new battleground in the nation’s uneasy debate over national identity and the place of Islam. Bacon and sausage school dinners are being used by rightwing politicians to hammer home what it means to be French. Court battles and vicious political spats have erupted as protesters warn that controversial menu changes are sending a message to Muslim or Jewish children that to be truly French, they must eat roast pork. Politicians, as they go to war over the ham on school dinner plates, are fighting about the true meaning of French secularism and whether it has been hijacked and twisted by the right in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attacks.

Tabbakhe’s home town of Chilly-Mazarin – a town of about 20,000 people in L’Essonne, which nudges up against Orly airport to the south of Paris – is the latest of several run by rightwing mayors to announce they will scrap pork-free options in school canteens in the name of secularism. For 30 years, Chilly-Mazarin has provided non-pork alternatives to Muslim and Jewish children. But from November, that will stop. On days when the menu features dishes such as roast pork with mustard and courgette gratin, or Strasbourg sausage and organic lentils, or ham pasta bake, children whose families don’t eat pork for religious reasons will be offered nothing but the side dishes. The new mayor, Jean-Paul Beneytou, from Nicolas Sarkozy’s rightwing Les Républicains party, says this is a commonsense way to preserve public sector “neutrality”. But many parents, teachers and leftwing opposition politicians call it a deliberate stigmatisation of Islam that is cruel to children by playing politics with school lunches.
Full article

:wtfguccimane:

U

uncleruckus

France and many other European countries actually cross that Whole of Europe is a Shit hole, and France is one of the biggest shit hole
in Europe the only thing they got going is that lame Eiffel tower and the Louvre museum, apart from that is just one Big anus of a country full of run down Ghetto's.

France and many other European countries actually cross that Whole of Europe is a Shit hole, and France is one of the biggest shit hole
in Europe the only thing they got going is that lame Eiffel tower and the Louvre museum, apart from that is just one Big anus of a country full of run down Ghetto's.

THIS RIGHT HERE!

I went France couple months ago, Paris to be exact, the amount of graffiti vandalism I've seen was ridiculous. They got graffiti on monumental buildings.

:tacky: france is bolshid

S

Shamis

I think Muslims and Jews should just eat the veggie option. All this fuss over over stupid pork. Pork is a cost effective effective meat, two meat dishes would be too expensive and thats the bottom line. Eat bread and omelette or whatever it is that French veggies eat.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
I think Muslims and Jews should just eat the veggie option. All this fuss over over stupid pork. Pork is a cost effective effective meat, two meat dishes would be too expensive and thats the bottom line. Eat bread and omelette or whatever it is that French veggies eat.

Ew do you eat pork?

S

Shamis

No but I sympathise with the French on this issue, it is their country after all. Imagine if some minorities had a problem with hilib ari in a Muslim or African country? They'd get spinach with bread or rice.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
No but I sympathise with the French on this issue, it is their country after all. Imagine if some minorities tried to ban hilib ari in a Muslim or African country?

They didn't ban it, they just got rid of the non pork option. The children can either eat pork or go home to eat.
Muslims should leave that country in my opinion. The French are vile people and extremely racist to anyone non white. They also have an almost pedophilic obsession with North african girls.

U

uncleruckus

No but I sympathise with the French on this issue, it is their country after all. Imagine if some minorities had a problem with hilib ari in a Muslim or African country? They'd get spinach with bread or rice.

Sympathize with facist right wingers :what1: :lebronwtf:

S

Shamis

Bugger. I edited my comment.

All white men are pedophiles and we should always take steps to avoid them. I have no love for the French but Cuba also doesn't have a non pork option, where is the outcry? Most of the non French population are economic migrants so it's baffling why they kick up such a fuss when they could just go home to their poor but beautiful, tolerant countries. Or eat the side veggies with some bread and butter from home.

S

Shamis

Sympathize with facist right wingers :what1: :lebronwtf:

Pork is cheap and it's not forbidden to them so yeah, let them budget and serve crap to their people. The parents get packed lunches or hot homemade meals to their kids if they made the effort.

I would never sympathize with the French. Ever. If there was a people I could enslave and not feel one ounce of guilt for it, it would be the French (and I wouldn't hesitate for a second).

But I would also pack my own lunch... why eat their shitty cafeteria food?

U

uncleruckus

Pork is cheap and it's not forbidden to them so yeah, let them budget and serve crap to their people. The parents get packed lunches or hot homemade meals to their kids if they made the effort.

:lebronwtf::lebronwtf: lolz i'm going to take few shot's of whiskey and since it's friday waan ka qaleynaa :mybusiness:

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
I would never sympathize with the French. Ever. If there was a people I could enslave and not feel one ounce of guilt for it, it would be the French (and I wouldn't hesitate for a second).

But I would also pack my own lunch... why eat their shitty cafeteria food?

I'd enslave the Spaniards and Brits first. Fucking genocidal savages. The French would be 3rd in line.

I don't have much sympathy for Western Europeans in general. I'm sick of them.

This story reminds me of the days Hooyo use to pack me these delicious chicken sandwiches along with malawax (for before lunch time) :banderas::ohhhdamn::wow::wow1::letmeeat::rejoice::mjcry::meleshame:

LittleNileRiver

Keepin Southies in check since 1998
Currently munching on a delicious 1/2 pound bacon burger :2tjlv3e:

Back in elementary we used to get special pbj sandwiches because everything was xaraam. We skipped to the end of the line where the cashier had it hidden somewhere.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
The French are c'est très bizarre. I bet their next steps include forcibly pouring liquor down the throats of Muslims and forcing everyone to cohabitate before marriage. I wouldn't put it past them to impose their beliefs on others that are stalwart in their disagreement all in the name of 'secularism'.

Status
Not open for further replies.