Alternate reality: Somalia adopted osmanya script

Imagine if Somalia adopted the osmanya script back in the 70's instead of inferior current latin script we have that not suitable for our language
as we have would been third country in africa with our own unique script.

Here an example what our what Somali would look like today in 2023

Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka Soomaaliya would be written as π’ƒπ’–π’‘π’”π’“π’‡π’˜π’•π’–π’†π’†π’– 𐒍𐒗𐒆𐒗𐒇𐒛𐒐𐒏𐒖 π’ˆπ’π’‘π’›π’π’˜π’•π’–

The Somali passport would look like this

1680987410860.png

Somali news would would look like this today if adopted

1680987769591.png

Never would have happened. Choice was always between Latin or Wadaad. Osmaanya isn’t fitted to many Somali dialects, has no typewriters suited to it, and even in the region it was invented in Wadaad was preferred.

also it looks vaguely similar to evilthiopias script.

Last edited:
I have to be honest, after reading some Somali books and texts written pre-civil war, I actually started to like the Latin script. It fits really well with Af Somaali

I have to be honest, after reading some Somali books and texts written pre-civil war, I actually started to like the Latin script. It fits really well with Af Somaali

wadaad would have been best, but Latin is good as well, it needs some orthographic reforms to suit the language.

wadaad would have been best, but Latin is good as well, it needs some orthographic reforms to suit the language.
I think Latin is better for todays world due to programming and various other things but Wadaad looks aesthetically better.

Latin is helpful when learning English and sinilar languages while wadaad has existed for several hundred years. What practical advantage does osmanya provide besides muh ego

Never would have happened. Choice was always between Latin or Wadaad. Osmaanya isn’t fitted to many Somali dialects, has no typewriters suited to it, and even in the region it was invented in Wadaad was preferred.

also it looks vaguely similar to evilthiopias script.
That totally incorrect what you said it was between osmanya and latin and the reason for the adoption of Latin because of tribalism and costs aswell. I don't understand why we need a foreign letters to write our language. Greeks,Armenian and even a tribe called the Santali tribe in India have their own script which they created in 1925

Yaraye

VIP
Imagine if Somalia adopted the osmanya script back in the 70's instead of inferior current latin script we have that not suitable for our language
as we have would been third country in africa with our own unique script.

Here an example what our what Somali would look like today in 2023

Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka Soomaaliya would be written as π’ƒπ’–π’‘π’”π’“π’‡π’˜π’•π’–π’†π’†π’– 𐒍𐒗𐒆𐒗𐒇𐒛𐒐𐒏𐒖 π’ˆπ’π’‘π’›π’π’˜π’•π’–

The Somali passport would look like this

View attachment 265371

Somali news would would look like this today if adopted

View attachment 265372
reminds me of thai websites that i stumble on :deadpeter:

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
Osmanya is pointless. It has no continuity with historical texts since it was created in the 20th Century. At least with Latin, you provide some level of proficiency in other languages

Trending