American kids try Ethiopian food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Not self-hating. I love Somali food. I think it tastes better than Ethio food. But I don't think it's unique to us. The only real Somali food is muqmad, sool, camel milk, etc. Bariis and Hilib is Yemeni, Baasto is italian, Sabayad is indian, etc.
Rice is Yemeni :mindblown:
Lamb is Yemeni, a piece of livestock we have had for thousands of years :snoop:
Civilisations borrow and add to bits of the other's culture. At this point these "Indian" and "Yemeni" foods are Somali. We prepare them in a unique way, and we eat them. By your logic, bread is Iraqi since wheat originates from that region.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Say wallahi
:banderas:
You can't beat Qoraxlow's bariis iyo chicken.
:ahh:
Haye I'll see you in June make them reservations for us sis.
:yousmart:
Yes but it's some underground reservations. Basically the waiter will give you the food meant for the customer before you and let them wait for another 30 minutes while you enjoy their bariis.

200.gif

Rice is Yemeni :mindblown:
Lamb is Yemeni, a piece of livestock we have had for thousands of years :snoop:
Civilisations borrow and add to bits of the other's culture. At this point these "Indian" and "Yemeni" foods are Somali. We prepare them in a unique way, and we eat them. By your logic, bread is Iraqi since wheat originates from that region.

Ductape, the bariis and hilib dish comes from the Yemeni Kabsa dish. Sabayad is CLEARLY an Indian bread. Do your research. We just took it from them and made it our own. The only thing Somalis use to eat were sool, camel meat, muqmad, etc.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Ductape, the bariis and hilib dish comes from the Yemeni Kabsa dish. Sabayad is CLEARLY an Indian bread. Do your research. We just took it from them and made it our own. The only thing Somalis use to eat were sool, camel meat, muqmad, etc.
I'm looking at kabsa, and while it is a rice dish, there are a load of other ingredients mixed in.
Given the sheer number of rice dishes out there, I don't know if Somali bariis and hilib (which is much simpler) derives from this.
I'm also not seeing any links to Somalis or Somalia in the article. Do you have any links showing that it's from Kabsa?

Also, my point was that these foods have been a part of our cuisine for so long they might as well be considered Somali. They're an integral part of our cuisine. Chicken tikka masala is regarded as a British dish (yes, despite the name) even though the dish originates in Pakistan, purely because of the British people's love for and history with the dish.

Yes but it's some underground reservations. Basically the waiter will give you the food meant for the customer before you and let them wait for another 30 minutes while you enjoy their bariis.

200.gif
Say no more.

I've been craving that bariis iyo baasto federation.

Unfortunately we don't have Somali food here. I never thought I'd miss xalwad iyo biskuud
:mjcry:

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Somalis took that dish from the Khaleeji "Kabsa" dish. It's lamb and rice too. We just made it our own dish.

And the Yemenis took rice from the Chinese and meat from the first carnivores, fish.

Yemenis copied Nemo sxb

and rice is not native to arabia either, and italians apparently got pasta from the chinese, people travel, people pick up new ideas

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
What's funny is the Yemenis actually got Injera and coffee from the Habesha and Laxoox from the Somalis. They even make malawax. Do these sound like Arabic words?

:ayaanswag:

Surely their other Arab neighbors would have similar dishes if it were indigenous and not from the Horn?

:ayaanswag:

Status
Not open for further replies.