Anicent sufi shrines where?

I was thinking about what sort of Accenture has survived in somalia that is at least a couple centuries old. The first thing that occurred to me was the mosques in Mogadishu. The second was sufi shrines which I've seen the occasional picture of. Considering hwo much peopel go out of their way to protect them . How many old ones ones do we have? Like I'm talking 300+ years old. I know there is one in zeila. Also are there any old mosques still intact outside mogdishu/merca/barawe

Dooyo

Inaba Caadi Maaha
There’s the shrine of Sheikh Hassan in a town named after him in the Bale province of Ethiopia. He lived in the 13th century.

Many shrines in areas that were or still are in the control of Al-Kebab were destroyed.
A93CEDC8-1650-47EB-BBB3-C8D8E14C4690.jpeg

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
There’s the shrine of Sheikh Hassan in a town named after him in the Bale province of Ethiopia. He lived in the 13th century.

Many shrines in areas that were or still are in the control of Al-Kebab were destroyed.
View attachment 345087
Thats the place where some oromos do pilgrimage to and engage in kufr right?

TekNiKo

Loyal To The One True King of The Seven Realms
VIP
I was thinking about what sort of Accenture has survived in somalia that is at least a couple centuries old. The first thing that occurred to me was the mosques in Mogadishu. The second was sufi shrines which I've seen the occasional picture of. Considering hwo much peopel go out of their way to protect them . How many old ones ones do we have? Like I'm talking 300+ years old. I know there is one in zeila. Also are there any old mosques still intact outside mogdishu/merca/barawe
Theres one in Kismayu but Wahabi AS destroyed it.

These are the ones that i am aware of.

Ancient Sufi shrines Mausoleums and Tombs In Sanaag
Somalia028.jpg

GAs3g85WQAEKpq1

Close up of the one in the middle which is Shaykh Samaaroon (Imam Ali Siciid)
The_Tomb_of_Sheikh_Samaroon.jpg

Ancient mosque in Maydh Sanag
images

Ancient coastal mosque in berbera
Somalia052.jpg

Ancient Mosque in Berbera, they need to restore this.
EWqFbKg.png
154g1sm.jpg

berbera-somalia-v0-yvne755kejhb1.jpg

It was more intact just a few decades ago
tumblr_mmq2rvNjga1qbio34o2_500.jpg

Another ancient mosque in Berbera
images

Another one.
berbera-mosque.jpg

Sufi shrine and adjacent mosque of of Aw Barkhadle near Hargeisa.
images

Ancient Mosque between Garowe and Bosaso
36398706254_16c71a0213_b.jpg

I remember seeing another mosque picture floating around attributed to Hafun , haven't really found confirmation on that one.

The rest of the surviving ancient mosques and shrines that are like 300+ years old and so that are not in ruins seem to be concentrated in Harar. But we all know the story there, unfortunately. There might be a few in other places in Ogaden and around Bur/Juba area.

Among the old major coastal towns in the north like Zayla, Hafun, Bosaso, Maydh, and Berbera haven't fared well due to late 1800s and early 1920 bombardment by colonialists from the sea, and in the 1500s and partial abandonement or full abandonment with Zayla due to french railroad system. Same with other smaller settlements.

Last edited:

Trending