Anyone interested in a weekly Somali programming meetup group?

I am interested in creating a small group consisting of Somali programmers, online only.

we can work on a project together or just have weekly meetups to talk about or share our own personal projects.

The ground rules being
  • Men only
  • Its entirely your choice to remain anonymous

You should not just see this as just another "programming group", but one specifically for Somalis, with our non-PC culture intact.

If you are interested please list your current area (if any) and what group project, if any, that interests you

If you are just getting started, I think that will be fine too,

My area is embedded systems but I am also heavily into windows systems (c#, .NET, PowerShell Core etc etc).
I am open to working on a open source project.

If you are interested, please let me know either in this thread or via a private message.

@attash
That's so cool, I am glad you are interested.

I had no hope of coming across another Faraax that is interested in programming hardware on here, imao.

We can definitely get up to some mess with Arduinos, which uses a slightly modified C++ but its missing the standard library.

Do you have any experience with Raspberry pies or Arduinos?

I was disappointed with the initial low responses I will post projects I am working on, in the hopes of getting more people to join in.

Here is a early prototype for a camera tripod mount that is meant to be operated from a PC/Phone. The plan is to drive all the axis of the tripods ballhead with a controller. Allowing for high precision and eliminating any guess work.

I wanted to reuse components found in every day devices, so I decided to use the guts of my old mouse, which has decent components:
  • A low latency Bluetooth component
  • Hyper scroll wheel (for Y axis)
  • Logitech's 2D tracking HERO processor for the X and Z axis
  • Pretty good battery

JLY3IRR.jpeg

DjTL1tp.jpeg

I am regretting going with the the mouse I went with, I have so far fried the processor 3 times during desoldering and 2 times during the soldering process. The stupid thing costs an arm, and I cant find any second hand units, as it is discontinued. I am crying:

test.gif

attash

Amaan Duule
@attash
That's so cool, I am glad you are interested.

I had no hope of coming across another Faraax that is interested in programming hardware on here, imao.

We can definitely get up to some mess with Arduinos, which uses a slightly modified C++ but its missing the standard library.

Do you have any experience with Raspberry pies or Arduinos?
Yeah, I worked with an Arduino mega 2560 and breadboards.
I was disappointed with the initial low responses I will post projects I am working on, in the hopes of getting more people to join in.

Here is a early prototype for a camera tripod mount that is meant to be operated from a PC/Phone. The plan is to drive all the axis of the tripods ballhead with a controller. Allowing for high precision and eliminating any guess work.

I wanted to reuse components found in every day devices, so I decided to use the guts of my old mouse, which has decent components:
  • A low latency Bluetooth component
  • Hyper scroll wheel (for Y axis)
  • Logitech's 2D tracking HERO processor for the X and Z axis
  • Pretty good battery

JLY3IRR.jpeg

DjTL1tp.jpeg

I am regretting going with the the mouse I went with, I have so far fried the processor 3 times during desoldering and 2 times during the soldering process. The stupid thing costs an arm, and I cant find any second hand units, as it is discontinued. I am crying:

test.gif
I have to work with a $35 budget unfortunately. I was planning to build racing drones for a while now, but I got hit with a wave of money troubles, so I have to scale things down for now. :francis:

@attash
It sounds like you have been very adventurous or were going to be anyway.

I was just asking, in any case things have come a long way, nowadays you can pretty much virtualize most of the development process, including breadboards, signal processing etc . This is mostly intended for learning, tinkering and small make it projects where collaboration is the point.

Its where I learnt most anyways, as useful as hands on engineering can be, it can also be prohibitive, not just financially.
Also second hand Arduino and Raspberry pies can be found dirt cheap.

I'm interested. Working as a software engineer and have done some arduino projects back in uni. Let me know what projects you'll be working on!

@albarnamij

Glad to have you on board abow. Me personally, am up for anything, even outside my area.

Once we move on the organisation stage, we will definitely find out most people want to work on, or collaborate on, and pick from there. We can always pick something else next time around too.

@abdi_
I'm not that active on here (literally just created this acc just to post this) but i think u should create like a discord or something. We can then discuss what projects we want to work on there when u got a few other ppl.

Same here also up for anything (as long as i'm learning) lol.

@albarnamij
Oh I did not know, in that case then, wellcome!
but i think u should create like a discord or something. We can then discuss what projects we want to work on there when u got a few other ppl.
Yes, it seems like that things are headed that way. I will create a discord account shortly.
Same here also up for anything (as long as i'm learning) lol.
Glad to hear!

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
I made a few soil moisture/temp sensors with an Arduino for my plants, some female jumper wires, nails and ohm resistor, using a cheap soldering kit, it's been a few years was planning on setting up an aquaponics system but got busy with work and exams moved into an apartment so lost my work area.

I've moved away from programming and into networking since due to work/life balance.

@NidarNidar
Sounds like you was having a lot of fun!

But you traded in a house with a garden for an apartment? I am in the reverse situation lol, nothing like having an open garden.

I've moved away from programming and into networking since due to work/life balance.
Nooooh...We lost a faraax.
Jokes aside, networking is all the buzz and its not slowing down at all, and you are still in proximity to programming, so who knows.

I wish you all the best in you endevour and studies brother.

i’m trying to learn python any tips ?
You may be interested in the following thread, which specifically deals with things such as getting started on Python, Programming - A guide on getting started.

I also monitor it and am willing to help with issues, errors etc etc a begginer might encounter.feel free to post issues there as you move along. Feel free to post issues there as you move along.

Also, you should consider enlisting yourself to this thread as well, it might be just what you need,

Last edited:
I do system admin for non profit org. I have knowledge on linux server side.

Plus im learning more from Senior staff members. Im available and want to contribute something useful.

My next goal is to learn py/js

Sometimes I wish I was nerd as well 😔
They say its never too late, in your case I guess its never too early.😂 . Maybe consider joining us lol, it will be crazy shindings.

Also these days, nerd = consumer, as in just going to see Marvel and owning an iPhone means you are a nerd...

Trending

Latest posts