Are somali cities competing with indian slums ?

I just watched a video about Garowe.. uhm where is the urbanplanning? This city has been built from scratch the last two decades, they had a great opportunity to build something that wasnโ€™t an eyesore ๐Ÿ’€ What happened ? whats up with all the colours? Where are the trees? Sidewalks? Why are all the buildings so close?

reer puntland ?

wonyluvr

prima hablood ๐œ—๐œšโ‹†โ‚Šหš
VIP

the first part of this video is what majority of this city looks like
The planning isnโ€™t great but comparing it to Indian cities is crazy. Thereโ€™s next to no waste buildup in any of those clips
Thereโ€™s little urban planning in Somali cities nowadays itโ€™s incomparable to slums in India though
F4D5B4BA-F4FC-4F18-9204-DFA642AE5EEA.jpeg

India but lamagodle version
India if they believed in waste management

Attachments

• IMG_6285.jpeg
    IMG_6285.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6286.jpeg
    IMG_6286.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 42
I've actually been to Garowe, and it has sidewalks, and it's very clean. The pictures you provided are of residential streets and they are normal houses, not corrugated shacks or anything resembling a slum residency.

The only 'issue' I see from your complaint, is that there are residential homes that need to have their rooftops repainted, that's just normal wear and tear. Nobody even really notices wear and tear or chipped paint on a rooftops unless they are a drone operator.

But indian slum?? What?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wTRC04TEzn0

Last edited:
I just watched a video about Garowe.. uhm where is the urbanplanning? This city has been built from scratch the last two decades, they had a great opportunity to build something that wasnโ€™t an eyesore ๐Ÿ’€ What happened ? whats up with all the colours? Where are the trees? Sidewalks? Why are all the buildings so close?

reer puntland ?
Why donโ€™t u compare Dhuusomareeb to bombay, Literally has Dhuuso in its name
:drakelaugh:

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Garowe and all puntland is far better than xamar or somaliland. Xamar live in non paved muds. Hargeisa have no better roads. Majertania is a white mind

wonyluvr

prima hablood ๐œ—๐œšโ‹†โ‚Šหš
VIP
Itโ€™s fair game, OP tried compare Garowe with a slum and Iโ€™m 80% certain ik where theyโ€™re from themselves
You shouldnโ€™t just assume.OP watched some vid and made an unfair assumption .Garowe is beautiful especially the outskirts

Dooyo

Inaba Caadi Maaha
Garowe from what Iโ€™ve seen (which I suspect itโ€™s the same road) has a decent layout. Itโ€™s a midsize city, theyโ€™ve started out well and have the space and time to improve.

100x better than Hargeisa, which has absolutely disastrous layout. They just build. Traffic is horrendous for a city you can drive through from east to west during Duhur in like, 20 mins, 40 MPH. I assume Muqdisho has the city layout and masterplans from the Italian colonial era and the subsequent governments in the 1960-80s that they still use.

There are no real slums in Somalia, or any Somali inhabited Somali area. Garowe is a new town that only started developing recently. So it's a bit irregular and sparsely populated , that's about it.

Definition of what a slum is:
A slum is an area characterised by poor buildings in physical state of disrepair, degraded environment in insanitary conditions, and absence of basic and essential facilities such as electricity, potable water, drainage system, schools, health facilities, and recreational grounds.

None of this applies to any Somali city.

If you want to see what actual slums competing with Indian slums looks like you just have to google other African cities.

Here is a post where i showed examples of the capital Nairobi in Kenya and Addis in Ethopia. Compare this to Garowe or any other Somali city.
70% of Kenyans live like this in Nairobi and other ares but jump on social media to complain and moan about Somalis building proper houses and properties in their own living quarters.
1024px-Nairobi_Kibera_04.JPG

Kibera_Nairobi_Kenya_slums_shanty_town_October_2008.jpg

file-20181012-119132-evml7c.jpg

Not even the marginalized Garrissa in NFD looks like this.
Ethiopia is the same in inner parts of Addis
SKvGSok.png

open-sewers-and-poor-housing-in-a-slum-area-of-addis-ababa-ethiopia-AHYGCE.jpg

While alot of ethiopians living like this , you know what their leadership is doing? Taking the money and building 10 billion dollar vanity project like a grand luxury satelite city for the government officials to live in.

Might i add Puntland region has better development metrics than both countries despite having a lower GDP, non-typical of slums. Most of the population (80%+) have access to clean water, electricity, plumbing, sanitation systems, schools, health facilities etc .

Puntland has lower poverty rate than neighboring Ethiopia and Kenya as well, despite those countries generating more wealth annually with higher growing GDP. 70% of the population has access to clean water, electricity, basic services and education.

This is from a 2017 paper, it was at 27% rate then, twice as less than Mogadishu and Somaliland.

People living in North East, where poverty is less widespread and deep, have highest levels of employment, educational attainment, and access to improved water and sanitation systems.

Since then the poverty rate has gone lower across the country and you can see it in the expansion of a middle class, so it probably less than that now in 2024.

The most significant finding is that the marginal gap between the rural and urban population
In line with other relevant non-monetary indicators, such as education and employment, households living in North East show a relatively low degree of inequality in access to an improved source of water between urban and rural areas.

cZsj3vG.png

This is the biggest evidence against what @Bison trying to insinuate about Somalis, there is not a big gap, only with the displaced.

This is what prevents slums from forming, economic activity, the distribution of wealth and services by local communities.

I've actually been to Garowe, and it has sidewalks, and it's very clean. The pictures you provided are of residential streets and they are normal houses, not corrugated shacks or anything resembling a slum residency.

The only 'issue' I see from your complaint, is that there are residential homes that need to have their rooftops repainted, that's just normal wear and tear. Nobody even really notices wear and tear or chipped paint on a rooftops unless they are a drone operator.

But indian slum?? What?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wTRC04TEzn0

That video is kinda older, its from 2021

This is a newer one that shows the new side walks and roads they have built out and they are making way for more. They are also starting to tear down older houses and building making way for modern ones.

Last edited:
There are no real slums in Somalia, or any Somali inhabited Somali area. Garowe is a new town that only started developing recently. So it's a bit irregular and sparsely populated , that's about it.

Definition of what a slum is:

None of this applies to any Somali city.

If you want to see what actual slums competing with Indian slums looks like you just have to google other African cities.

Here is a post where i showed examples of the capital Nairobi in Kenya and Addis in Ethopia. Compare this to Garowe or any other Somali city.

Might i add Puntland region has better development metrics than both countries despite having a lower GDP, non-typical of slums. Most of the population (80%+) have access to clean water, electricity, plumbing, sanitation systems, schools, health facilities etc .

This is what prevents slums from forming, economic activity, the distribution of wealth and services by local communities.

That video is kinda older, its from 2021

This is a newer one that shows the new side walks and roads they have built out and they are making way for more. They are also starting to tear down older houses and building making way for modern ones.

I don't think we have slums. But what about the idp camps?

Trending