Are somali cities competing with indian slums ?

I don't think we have slums. But what about the idp camps?

Those are people temporarily displaced from their actual homes, due to conflict or environmental hazards. For example 3.7 million Ukrainians are in idps camps, you can google in any other conflict area.
Same thing in certain American states where hurricanes and floods displace people: 3 miliion infact.
https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/mo...natural-disaster-past-year-how-can-we-prepare

Otherwise those people live in normal houses.

80% of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (An Actual Slum)
SKvGSok.png

Borama, Somaliland @NidarNidar
1728790830841.png

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
I just watched a video about Garowe.. uhm where is the urbanplanning? This city has been built from scratch the last two decades, they had a great opportunity to build something that wasnโ€™t an eyesore ๐Ÿ’€ What happened? whats up with all the colours? Where are the trees? Sidewalks? Why are all the buildings so close?

reer puntland ?

where is the urbanplanning?

Urban planning in Garowe is probably the fourth best in Somalia after Mogadishu, Ceerigaabo and Burco. Garowe is actually very good by Somali standards. It has more paved road as a % of land area than any city in Somalia.

This city has been built from scratch the last two decades, they had a great opportunity to build something that wasnโ€™t an eyesore ๐Ÿ’€ What happened?
While Garowe itself was not a large town in 1991, all of the land that it was going to expand into was already spoken for. The city did not have the privilege of expanding into land that no one owned.

whats up with all the colours?
Somalis like bright colors.

Where are the trees?
This is a fair point. Puntland as a whole does not really plant enough trees in its cities. Huge problem.

Sidewalks? Why are all the buildings so close?
The lack of sidewalks is not a big problem on side streets (see Japan), but it is a huge problem on the main streets. Puntland has failed to construct sidewalks because landowners have built right up to the street's edge to maximize their land value. Buildings are very close to each other because landowners do not spare any of their plot. Landowners want to reach an FAR as close to 100% as possible. There is nor regulation limiting FAR.

Great questions.

AbdiFreedom

For NATO occupation of Somalia|Trudeau4Prison
Staff Member
Somalia's leaders have no vision for their country's future and are only there to loot the country's resources so urban planning is on no one's radar. You'll never hear one talk about their passions to make Somalia better. It's always about kursi doon to brag of their fake power to their clansmen. If anyone on here has any influence on Somalia's corrupt influential people, convince them to give lucrative contracts to enthusiastic white planners working for municipal governments in Amsterdam or DC or Copenhagen to start the work. Don't expect urban planner Farah from the diaspora to do anything. He would likely be irrelevant clan-wise to do anything and would be of just average IQ. They need a white man to do the work in perpetuity.

Although it's been several years since I've been to somalia i was there for several months and I don't really rember seeing somali beggars? Now that I think back on that it's quite unusual. A lot of the beggars were from ethiopia and possibly some from yemen.

Keep it a boqol

All Praise Be To Allah In Every Situation!!!
VIP
I remeber there was a viral tweet of a overview of xamar and itโ€™s city layout and the african people were impressed cuz it was better then thereโ€™s . (I think itโ€™s on this forum)

Regardless the standard should be above african expectation we shouldnโ€™t aim to be another favela

Xamar gonna have a massive slum like Lagos or Mumbai I can see it coming

Meanwhile the opposite is happening in reality.

Rebuilding Mogadishu: The Rise of Affordable Housing Estates in Somaliaโ€™s Capital​

Trending