Bajuni people

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really interested in the non-ethnic Somali's living in Somalia and Bajuni people struck me people with fascinating history.

I know that they live mostly in the coast from Kiunga to Kismayo. They speak some form of Kiswahili and look distinctly different from Kenyans.

Who can share tales of the Bajuni people?

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
I'm pretty sure they are heavily mixed with middle easterners and they are mainly fisherman.

That's all I know about them from my mom.

I'm really interested in the non-ethnic Somali's living in Somalia and Bajuni people struck me people with fascinating history.

I know that they live mostly in the coast from Kiunga to Kismayo. They speak some form of Kiswahili and look distinctly different from Kenyans.

Who can share tales of the Bajuni people?
they not the only Swahili speaking people, the Baravanese speak Chimwiini. how the hell did this language arrive in somalia and how did it survive north of the Jubba river.

they not the only Swahili speaking people, the Baravanese speak Chimwiini. how the hell did this language arrive in somalia and how did it survive north of the Jubba river.

IIRC, they form a community pack and live in isolated places. The Bajuni people live mostly in the Islands and their numbers are few with estimates of 40,000.

IIRC, they form a community pack and live in isolated places. The Bajuni people live mostly in the Islands and their numbers are few with estimates of 40,000.
half the Bajuni life in Kenya, they are really trans-border culture with some somali influence but mostly similar to their kin in Lamu.

S

Shamis

Baanjuun waxay ku hadlaan af Baajuun lakiin in Somalia they are bi or tri lingual and they are as Somali as they come. The word Kismaanyo ends with maanyo which is badda and I don't even know if that Baanjuuni or Fartaag.

The distinction gets really blurred for me, when i hear Bajuni, Maay Maay and the 5 other more ethnic groups and dialects that are spoken in Somalia.

Would anyone know if this is Af.Maay?

S

Shamis

He's just speaking af Soomaali with an accent and the rest is Somali Bantu.

Baanjuun waxay ku hadlaan af Baajuun lakiin in Somalia they are bi or tri lingual and they are as Somali as they come. The word Kismaanyo ends with maanyo which is badda and I don't even know if that Baanjuuni or Fartaag.
Abayo, Jubba land somalis have several weird words, like Wamoo to define themselves, and Kismayo sound too none somali.

S

Shamis

Abayo, Jubba land somalis have several weird words, like Wamoo to define themselves, and Kismayo sound too none somali.

There are a lot of place names that we haven't researched yet.

@nucleus Its a word we we all know and use and I was just wondering. They don't speak Swahili so everyone needs to stop calling them Swahili just because there is a Kenyan Baajuun island archipelago. Swahili came to Lamu via the trade winds and have surnames like Shirazi lol Baanjuun are Arabised Africans if they are indeed Arabised and I suspect that not all are.

HalyeeyQaran

Citizen of Southwest State
Again, there is no language called Somali Bantu. They weren't speaking Mushunguli in the video, they were speaking Af Maay, which is a Cushitic language. I don't know what you intended by posting a Wikipedia link because it wasn't pertinent to my post in the slightest.

Apollo

VIP
Again, there is no language called Somali Bantu. They weren't speaking Mushunguli in the video, they were speaking Af Maay, which is a Cushitic language. I don't know what you intended by posting a Wikipedia link because it wasn't pertinent to my post in the slightest.

The Mushunguli dialect of Zigula can be considered the ''Somali Bantu'' language.

HalyeeyQaran

Citizen of Southwest State
@Shamis you also made another mistake by saying Bajunis don't speak Swahili. Af Bajuni, otherwise known as Kibajuni, is a Swahili dialect.

Status
Not open for further replies.