Beira Port, Mozambique:1901 Somali &Ethiopan miners uprising

A batch of one hundred and thirty-six Abyssinians and Somalis, imported on board the German liner ' Herzog' for labour in the Rhodesian mines, refused to land, having been told by the firemen that they would have to work in chains. The Portuguese police and soldiers were called in, and the natives proving recalcitrant, a serious fight ensued, in which nine of the police were wounded, while one Somali was killed, twenty-six were wounded, and eighty-six are re- ported missing, "having jumped overboard." This painful episode shows how extremely difficult is the problem of native labour in South Africa. We may remark, however, that if the Chartered Company had not allowed a system of what was practically forced labour to be carried out in Rhodesia in the years following the conquest, there would probably be no need now to import native labour.

Back story to how they ended up there can be read here

Recruiting Labour in the Horn of Africa for the Southern Rhodesian Market, 1899 - 1901: The Futile Exercise!

Some of the more interesting comments on the Somalis who were brought to work there :

Edward Dicey stated that:
the Somalis are unfitted for either surface or underground work. They have absolutely no energy, and little or no idea of how to exert their strength which at best is very poor, and very few wish to work underground, even with the prospect of receiving a higher wage. They apparently do not value money
and are perfectly satisfied as long as they have sufficient to eat. 56

🤣🤣🤣

Also, The resentment towards the Somali workers grew when they refused to eat the fufu rations and asked bariis and ghee instead :🤣🤣🤣🤣

33D13EA7-97BF-40DE-8A0D-2FCDF035F562.png

F4BD6A9C-4846-4C45-B61E-6754D261B921.png

RIP to the martyrs 🙏

Last edited:
How do you find this stuff man another great post!
The other day when I came across the Somalis in South Africa during colonialism, I was trying to see any evidence of Somalis going there for trade etc (I don’t believe many Somalis fought in Boer war as the author was claiming, though we can’t really judge as we haven’t read the book).

The mad thing about this in incident is the fact Somalis generally remember these kind of events in poetry and they get passed down through the generations. I or you have never heard of this incident which is bizarre considering somalis generally remember atrocities committed by cadaans. Maybe it’s due to the incident happening so far away. It would be great to see if we can perhaps verify if the colonial authorities kept names of the miners, which villages they came from, etc……