Ceeb culture: A relic of the past or the glue that holds a society?

What’s your opinion on Ceeb Culture?

• Total voters

Internet Nomad

✪͓̽W͓͓̽̽i͓͓̽̽n͓͓̽̽t͓͓̽̽e͓͓̽̽r͓̽ ͓̽A͓͓̽̽r͓͓̽̽c͓̽✪͓̽
Ceeb culture is the immune system of a society. Without it will die out within a couple generations as all sorts of degeneracy will take hold.

The problem is when this ceeb culture is on hyperdrive and thwarts any type of personality or individualism. When ceeb culture goes after innocent things and people become frustrated with it and think there is no point of having it all. Without knowing all it’s doing behind the scene to help a society.

It like wanting to download software and it gets false flagged by your anti virus and instead of trying to fix the problem you uninstall the anti virus.

This quote perfectly explains the idea I’m trying to get across.

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up." - G.K. Chesterton​

The person who is frustrated with ceeb culture when they get demonised for something that was innocent will want to remove it as a reflex. However like the fence they don’t have the foresight for why this fence was put up in the past. There could be wolves in the forest that it was meant to block out.

We can only trust our ancestors on why they put these fences whilst meticulously altering the fences if they are outdated or wrong to our moral standards.

Basically liberalism vs conservatism.
Not in the political parties but in the truest form of these words.

The liberal doesn’t want these fences as they inhibit freedom of expression.

The conservative wants to conserve the fences(traditions of the past) as they think there is wisdom in it.

Internet Nomad

Ceeb culture for Somalis although not perfect is not something that urgently needs reform .

It’s when people start to abandon it that we see problems come to bite us back .
I feel like it does as we have people who eat khat openly commenting on a woman’s hijab or lack there of.

At least the woman without hijab could change her outfit and pray but an intoxicated person Salah is not valid.

When you pair that with the fact these people eat khat everyday they are in a constant state of impurity.

To me that’s far worse than a Somali woman walking around with a crop top but still prays her 5 daily salahs.

We have a hypocrisy problem.

I feel like it does as we have people who eat khat openly commenting on a woman’s hijab or lack there of.

At least the woman without hijab could change her outfit and pray but an intoxicated person Salah is not valid.

When you pair that with the fact these people eat khat everyday they are in a constant state of impurity.

To me that’s far worse than a Somali woman walking around with a crop top but still prays her 5 daily salahs.

We have a hypocrisy problem.

I’m pretty sure there is some form of hate directed to khat addicts from my experience when I was back home even though it was very rampant and lots of folks were addicted .

I acknowledged in my previous comment that it’s not perfect and has its flaws . But I seem to see where you’re coming from .

@Internet Nomad you changed my mind lol I forgot about the khat epedemic in Somalia .

It has its good but it definitely needs reform you’re right

E706EFB4-DC4E-417B-8F26-11FB67BFF695.png

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
Idc about ceeb culture in the homeland but the western one needs to go! Let me walk with a non Somali woman in peace nacala. The death stares are so menacing might as well countrymaxx to stay away from these noisy WhatsApp Haboyrs…

Internet Nomad

I’m pretty sure there is some form of hate directed to khat addicts from my experience when I was back home even though it was very rampant and lots of folks were addicted .

I acknowledged in my previous comment that it’s not perfect and has its flaws . But I seem to see where you’re coming from .
There is a stigma around it but it isn’t nearly what it should be.

I heard so many stories of grown men instead of spending the little money they get from their job on their family or children education they spend it on drugs.

Khat should be banned and pushed under ground like alcohol consumption.

The government need to create a skilled force of Somalis to burn down the khat farms.

Productivity would skyrocket a million percent.

Internet Nomad

Idc about ceeb culture in the homeland but the western one needs to go! Let me walk with a non Somali woman in peace nacala. The death stares are so menacing might as well countrymaxx to stay away from these noisy WhatsApp Haboyrs…
I understand where you’re coming from but these haboyars grew up in an insular community in Somalia and when they went to the west they still have that insular mindset.

Napoleon Bonaparte is quoted as saying “To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”​

Their brain and world view has fully developed in a different setting that you. You grew up in a cosmopolitan society where every ethnicity mingles and men and women have platonic relationships. This is alien to them.

This maybe a rude way of putting it but.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
I would rather say ignorance or cultural insensitivity than stupidity.

When people talk about ‘ceeb culture’ we’re talking about abusers and r?pists getting away with it since the family and society think it’s ceeb to mention it and now look down on the girl since she’s tainted in the eyes of society.

Ceeb culture doesn’t really exist for men as much. You can chew khat, laying on walls with stained teeth harrassing girls as they pass. You can be known as a deadbeat, a Zani and the list continues and you’d still have a social standing. Even violent offenses against women and children can be forgiven via xeer system with other men paying for your diya.

Look at the monster husband of Luul, he’s alive and kicking and his clan were protesting for him. Where is there sense of ‘ceeb’? Do they not feel ashamed that this man burnt his wife to a crisp? Of course not.

Ceeb is clearly gendered. We all need to have shame, but there isn’t enough shaming of those that need to be shamed. Somalis even have a saying about how men don’t bring ceeb.

Avalanche

Guul iyo Gobanimo
VIP
The only reason I am against ceeb culture is because of the hypocrisy. We don't stand firm with our values. No need to adhere to something not everyone follows to the same degree

Internet Nomad

When people talk about ‘ceeb culture’ we’re talking about abusers and r?pists getting away with it since the family and society think it’s ceeb to mention it and now look down on the girl since she’s tainted in the eyes of society.

Ceeb culture doesn’t really exist for men as much. You can chew khat, laying on walls with stained teeth harrassing girls as they pass. You can be known as a deadbeat, a Zani and the list continues and you’d still have a social standing. Even violent offenses against women and children can be forgiven via xeer system with other men paying for your diya.

Look at the monster husband of Luul, he’s alive and kicking and his clan were protesting for him. Where is there sense of ‘ceeb’? Do they not feel ashamed that this man burnt his wife to a crisp? Of course not.

Ceeb is clearly gendered. We all need to have shame, but there isn’t enough shaming of those that need to be shamed. Somalis even have a saying about how men don’t bring ceeb.
I 100% Agree with everything you said Ceeb culture is currently hypocritical and heavily biased.

I wish to change that we as a community need to place all those things that you mentioned under heavy stigmas.

However I am saying we do need ceeb culture the answer isn’t to completely remove it just because it’s hypocritical at the moment. The answer is to reform it.

Otherwise you’re gonna see us fall further into the degeneracy as a community.

Internet Nomad

The only reason I am against ceeb culture is because of the hypocrisy. We don't stand firm with our values. No need to adhere to something not everyone follows to the same degree
Your right but it’s needed just because a umbrella has 50% function it’s better than no umbrella in the rain.

Would be nice to bring it back but in a better way. It’s just that people see different things as ceeb. We should make only what is haram ceeb. Not normal conversations that will bring out the truth and will not shield abuse.

I think ceeb culture worked before we had social media. Now these attention seekers will be overjoyed getting views from those shaming them. It’s all about making money now. No amount of shaming will impact those types. Maybe ostracizing them could work but very few would do that to someone with fame.

Would be nice to bring it back but in a better way. It’s just that people see different things as ceeb. We should make only what is haram ceeb. Not normal conversations that will bring out the truth and will not shield abuse.

I think ceeb culture worked before we had social media. Now these attention seekers will be overjoyed getting views from those shaming them. It’s all about making money now. No amount of shaming will impact those types. Maybe ostracizing them could work but very few would do that to someone with fame.
Ceeb is ceeb. As simple as that.

Trending