Collceted essays of souther ethiopia

@Idilinaa look at this shit I acquired his souther ethiopia collceted essays. But how he was able to come to this ridculous conclusion is mind boggling. How oromos who he mentioned a couple pages earlier only expanded in the post 1500s could have somehow been all over northern somalia and even more ridculous is the afar somehow being pushed out. Keep in mind that he probaly had acess to ibn battutas travelogues and the other arab historians which he quotes.
Screenshot_20241024_220400_Samsung Internet.jpg

@Idilinaa look at this shit I acquired his souther ethiopia collceted essays. But how he was able to come to this ridculous conclusion is mind boggling. How oromos who he mentioned a couple pages earlier only expanded in the post 1500s could have somehow been all over northern somalia and even more ridculous is the afar somehow being pushed out. Keep in mind that he probaly had acess to ibn battutas travelogues and the other arab historians which he quotes.
View attachment 346347
“Somalis expanded from the coastline into the interior” what a load of drivel

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
lmaao yeah its prolly based on a fabricated narrative started by Enrico Cerruli/I'M Lewis of a Somali expansion from the Yemeni /Northern coast relying on misinterpreted oral info but its been debunked really by utlitizing historical sources: There is no indication of an expansion or migration, all you see is a stable Somali population across

Read this summary of historical refrences:
When you look at the historical written sources available to him you wouldn't draw any of these conclusions that he did from it.

0lge3EE.png

hGuN1PH.png

c0ThUuH.png

EAZwIqk.png

And Awdal/Awfat was not multi ethnic, it was just a collection of Somali clans. Those Somali clans mentioned are not ethnicities.

And all the Somali clans mentioned in Futuh were not periphery either, the whole chronicle just opens up with them. How can it open up with a periphery group gathering? and they are mentioned live to in a far area bordering Abyssinians even. Most clans mentioned are more or less the same ones that live in and around harar or further west:

Clan map distribution:
Why is this important and how does it relate to the Futuh al-Habasha? Well, before I get to that, I want you to look at the 1800s writings of Richard F. Burton who travelled all across northern Somalia and Galbeed; meeting Hawiyes, Isaaqs, Daroods and Dirs as he went.

I want you to now keep in mind that Burton and the Futuh actually relate very, very well in that they largely capture the near exact same tribal makeup in that general area of Galbeed near and in Harar and show a general tribal continuity for 300 years between them and then continuity with what we knew of the tribal make up of the area as recently as the 1990s:

1KiwMxA.png

These are mostly the same people for 500 years and in Burton's day

What i found even more remarkable is there is zero mention of Harari in either Futuh or any historical text and there is zero evidence that ties this recently constructed identity to any historical group. So he is essentially making connections out of thin air

Read this analysis:
This is my source written in 2023 after recent studies were done in Ethiopia. The current population of Hararis have zero connection to Harar of the 16th century.
img_0973-jpeg.338775

The same goes for Afar, they are ot mentioned in any texts connected to Awdal/Awfat and when they are mentioned its in area further north by the by Eritrean seashore allied with Abyssinia, independent from Awdal.
AN4OnzQ.png

DClHZyO.png

KO846kn.png

VU6w5gK.png

Last edited:
lmaao yeah its prolly based on a fabricated narrative started by Enrico Cerruli/I'M Lewis of a Somali expansion from the Yemeni /Northern coast relying on misinterpreted oral info but its been debunked really by utlitizing historical sources: There is no indication of an expansion or migration, all you see is a stable Somali population across

Read this summary of historical refrences:

And Awdal/Awfat was not multi ethnic, it was just a collection of Somali clans. Those Somali clans mentioned are not ethnicities.

And all the Somali clans mentioned in Futuh were not periphery either, the whole chronicle just opens up with them. How can it open up with a periphery group gathering? and they are mentioned live to in a far area bordering Abyssinians even. Most clans mentioned are more or less the same ones that live in and around harar or further west:

Clan map distribution:

What i found even more remarkable is there is zero mention of Harari in either Futuh or any historical text and there is zero evidence that ties this recently constructed identity to any historical group. So he is essentially making connections out of thin air

Read this analysis:

The same goes for Afar, they are ot mentioned in any texts connected to Awdal/Awfat and when they are mentioned its in area further north by the by Eritrean seashore allied with Abyssinia, independent from Awdal.
AN4OnzQ.png

DClHZyO.png

KO846kn.png

VU6w5gK.png
I wonder what the academic consensus is now becuase I still occasionally see variations of this narrative being pushed. Thankfully when it comes to social media and the internet . The excerpt posting trend that started here has spread like wildfire on twitter and tiktok. So the avg somali youth who's intrestd in this stuff has so much to read. This new narrative is basically on all the somali online spaces.

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
I wonder what the academic consensus is now becuase I still occasionally see variations of this narrative being pushed. Thankfully when it comes to social media and the internet . The excerpt posting trend that started here has spread like wildfire on twitter and tiktok. So the avg somali youth who's intrestd in this stuff has so much to read. This new narrative is basically on all the somali online spaces.

It makes it all more fragmentary. We really need to gather and go over primary sources in one organized way and make those corrections more widely known.

It would be more useful if we had more Somali academic writers in the English language pick this up and publish it as well.

Last edited:
It makes it all more fragmentary. We really need to gather and go over primary sources in one organized way and make those corrections more widely known.

It would be more useful if we had more Somali academic writers in the English language pick this up and publish it as well.
I think their starting to look that one puntland paper where he catalogued a lot of towns in puntland. Or the guy who's paper was in an edition volume of essays on anicnet history.

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
I think their starting to look that one puntland paper where he catalogued a lot of towns in puntland. Or the guy who's paper was in an edition volume of essays on anicnet history.

Yeah Said Shidaad has done some good work, hopefully more will follow suit. There is so much more to cover.

Trending