Did you know that there was a mosque in Damascus that only Somalis could be the Imam of?

".. Our friend the scholar Abd al-Samad al-Jabarti al-Hanafi took the imam position then he died and Ibn Ma’ruf al-Jabarti took his place.. then its a condition that the imam be from the blessed Jabarti race and he be a Hanafi and have 10 students of his own kind to teach them Qur’an.. If there is no Hanafi jabarti imam then a Yemeni and if there is no yemeni then a Hijazi"

- This is about a mosque in Damascus. The writer says that it’s a condition that the imam is Jabarti, this contains a very important statement that clarifies that the Jabarites are Ajami not Arabs. This book was written in the 927 hijri/1521 ad and this happened in 1485 ad. I've linked a picture of the masjid in question and its name is المدرسة الصابونية.

Source: الدارس في تاريخ المدارس

GRQMiZrXIAAXLh6

image0.png

Last edited:

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
- This is about a mosque in Damascus. The writer says that it’s a condition that the imam is Jabarti, this contains a very important statement that clarifies that the Jabarites are Ajami not Arabs. This book was written in the 927 hijri/1521 ad and this happened in 1485 ad. I've linked a picture of the masjid in question and its name is المدرسة الصابونية.

Source: الدارس في تاريخ المدارس

GRQMiZrXIAAXLh6

image0.png
brutal day for Ana Arabs

What an Amazing find . I love these types of historical curious of somali presence. It does make me wonder when hanfafis dies out in somalia and why that happened.

What an Amazing find . I love these types of historical curious of somali presence. It does make me wonder when hanfafis dies out in somalia and why that happened.

In the 12th and 13th centuries most of the Somali lands was Hanafi, the Shafi'ism was spread through the peninsula by the Walashma Sultans, as the province of Awfat was the only Shafi province and the rest of the provinces including Awdal was Hanafi according to Al-Umari.

By the 15th-16th centuries at the very least the Shaafi Madhab had as much infuence as the Hanafi madhab.

Isn't Jabarti another name for Muslims in the Horn? How do we know for certain this is Somali?

No it was a name for North-Western Somalia. It meant the burning country aka guban plains.
y16zUTb.png

kTuM3Er.png

We know it was Somalis because they specify the region it was applied to, as our land was called Al-Jabartiyyah.
Islam et sociétés au sud du Sahara -
Jabart originally meant a region in Zayla ' and Ifât , but was later extended to refer to Ethiopian Muslims in general.

Somalis wore it as their nationality throughout the middle ages or nisba,
k4dAN4Y.png

it later transferred to groups we converted to Islam in the late 18th century who took it as a Muslim identity asal ahan camal, not a regional name and as we abandoned it for Al-Somalliyah.
Miniature Empires: A Historical Dictionary of the Newly
A minority, called the Jabarti , are ethnic Tigreans converted to Islam in the eighteenth century .

Even Richard Burton breifly commented on the names usage in the 19th century:
Some travellers make Jabarti or Ghiberti ... others “Strong in the Faith” (El Islam). Bruce applies it to the Moslems of Abyssinia: it is still used, though rarely, by the Somal, who in these times generally designate by it the Sawahili or Negro Moslems.

Last edited: