Do you guys know any information about bajuni people?

I found out a few years ago my grandma was bajuni . She died while my mom was an infant so we dont really have much information about her . I just had one picture of her and i always assumed she was arab / south Asian cuz my mom told me she wasnt somali and she looked really arab.

So i just wanna know are bajuni people bantu or mixed or somali ? Were they also slaves because someone said their bantu and from tanzania but my grandmum doesnt look bantu . So do yall know anything about their history /culture? She was from lamu in kenya to be precise too

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
I found out a few years ago my grandma was bajuni . She died while my mom was an infant so we dont really have much information about her . I just had one picture of her and i always assumed she was arab / south Asian cuz my mom told me she wasnt somali and she looked really arab.

So i just wanna know are bajuni people bantu or mixed or somali ? Were they also slaves because someone said their bantu and from tanzania but my grandmum doesnt look bantu . So do yall know anything about their history /culture? She was from lamu in kenya to be precise too
Not “Bantu slaves” or from Tanzania

They vary in phenotype sometimes chinese/arab looking sometimes more Bantu or Somali like. They are a religous people who are more accepting and they had access to the whole swahili coast + Benadiri towns hence why they have so much different people.

They nowadays marry into certain Ogaden/Majeerteen subclans who border them. You’ll find them scattered from Buurgaabo to Garissa and along the JL coast past Kismayo until Raas Kambooni and then some.

They settled the islands and have a fishing/sailing culture aswell as other crafts like stonemasonry they started living inland after the Gaalo-madow wars in Jubbaland. The islands they live on are very beautiful aswell although they have problems getting supplies, medicine, and fresh water.

Met a Somali bajuni at work . Dude looks 100% like a typical Somali, but can't speak Somali at all . If I remember correctly he said they speak swahili or their own language lmao.