Do you sometimes think about this about your family ..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Do you wonder who'll go first ? Go first in the sense of death!

I mean the sequence of passing away. It's not always the parents to go first but siblings can die first. It can be you to go first.

They are all important but how do you feel about your hooyo. If she dies today do you think you'll hit rock bottom?

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
if my mom died today, my family would crumble at the seams. and i mean my immediate and outside family. we fucking all depend on her.

the poor woman. legitimately holding up 50 people at once. never even once complaining :tocry:

but anyway in a perfect world my parents would die after my kids have reached a pretty decent age. maybe in their early teens so they can have genuine time with them and actually get to know them. i never met any of my grandfathers so i'd like my kids to know the man that raised me. especially the son i actually name after my dad (the first prolly). he needs to know Mahad Sr.

But as far as my siblings are concerned. I'm a coward and I wanna die before them because the turmoil of being the last of my family would emotionally break me and I'm a fuulay like that :salute:

The idea of outliving my sisters... nah. That would suck.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
if my mom died today, my family would crumble at the seams. and i mean my immediate and outside family. we fucking all depend on her.

the poor woman. legitimately holding up 50 people at once. never even once complaining :tocry:

but anyway in a perfect world my parents would die after my kids have reached a pretty decent age. maybe in their early teens so they can have genuine time with them and actually get to know them. i never met any of my grandfathers so i'd like my kids to know the man that raised me. especially the son i actually name after my dad (the first prolly). he needs to know Mahad Sr.

But as far as my siblings are concerned. I'm a coward and I wanna die before them because the turmoil of being the last of my family would emotionally break me and I'm a fuulay like that :salute:

The idea of outliving my sisters... nah. That would suck.

Don't effing make me cry !

Walahi it's like you talking about my hooyo. She's the peacemaker, the advice giver, the consoler in chief, the care giver, the guiding light of the family and most importantly the nurser of the sock of the family when someone is sick. We might've moved away and have our own families but she can be relied on if you need a babysitter. Never complains and always happy when you do good in life. She's always aware of the weakest amongst us while we don't notice. She's a NGO within our family by coming to the assistance of one of us by demanding we donate to that person. Ever since our dad died she's become even more important. She collects money for the needy relatives back home and sends money without knowledge. She gives too much money to the Mosque and to odayaal that claim to be "sheikhs" to come over to the house to read Quran in her house while she asks that we are blessed (these guys come for the food and money, I dislike them".

If she was to pass away I'm afraid a lot of my siblings would go in their separate way. Not to mention that some of us would clinically be depressed. I'm afraid for my younger sisters because they are absolutely close to her. Very close to her.

Horta why is father's passing is not as catastrophic as hooyos. Don't get me wrong cause I miss my father a lot but I accept his death bc he suffered a lot with that sickness.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
where would we be without our hoyos :friendhug:

May allah shower them with eternal bliss. They are truly the ultimate heroes.

That being said I'm cutting her a ticket right now to go to her son's wedding. I also need to cut her a massage therapy.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
and no matter how we try to slice it, our households are matriarchies. hoyos holding the vast majority of spending and childrearing input, and fathers being more or less breadwinners with less input.

i mean obviously the religous doctrine that hovers over us and the individual rights women and men have through the Somali lens AREN'T leaning towards matriarchal concepts, but inside the house, that's just the way it is.

like you fear aabo's belt, but you fear hoyo period. also doesn't help that most somali dads are less involved with their kids day-to-day lives. that's why aabo's death wouldn't cripple you the way hoyo's death would. not that you love one more than the other, but that one is pretty much your support system.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
not to shit on dads though. my dad's the greatest man i ever met and i wouldn't be where i am today without him.

he's also a way more involved father than the dads of most of my friends (even the white ones).

VixR

Veritas
I don't think the average person really thinks about death until they've had someone they love die. Once that happens, in my experience, it becomes a passing thought any time anything unsual happens, or when you're really and truly worried about a situation, or when a family member has a health scare, or even in moments when you're at your happiest and you have that stray thought, "I could lose this person some day".

I don't want to see anyone else die, but I know, of course I will. For instance, my parents are quite healthy, but pretty old. Not something I ever want to think about, but, yes, I have had that dreaded thought. I've have that thought every time my dad travels home, too, even though it's peaceful. Ever since my mom told me she was traveling home this November, which was back in December 2015, I've been having that thought all these long past months of, "What if something goes wrong?", even though it's peaceful.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
and no matter how we try to slice it, our households are matriarchies. hoyos holding the vast majority of spending and childrearing input, and fathers being more or less breadwinners with less input.

i mean obviously the religous doctrine that hovers over us and the individual rights women and men have through the Somali lens AREN'T leaning towards matriarchal concepts, but inside the house, that's just the way it is.

like you fear aabo's belt, but you fear hoyo period. also doesn't help that most somali dads are less involved with their kids day-to-day lives. that's why aabo's death wouldn't cripple you the way hoyo's death would. not that you love one more than the other, but that one is pretty much your support system.

I am in no way and shape and form relegating aabo's contribution. I wish I was half of my father's attributes. He raised us with a military wages and I must tell you that we are over 10 children.

My father, at the age of 18, left miyi in the hawd (Somali region of Ethiopia) and joined the army. He spend 30 years in the army.

My father was a tall figure in my imagination. Very old school, no emotion and no softness anywhere near him but I knew his love was based on how hard he worked and took care of us. He was a spiritual man. Anytime the neighbors came to complain about one of us causing something he'll punish us right front the neighbor. I only realized how important neighbors are in Islam. He wanted all of us to have what he never had. I mean this was a guy straight out of the miyi and who had a bullet dislodged in his ribs of tribal land fighting.

May he rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.