Eid celebrations in Mogadishu, 1939

Khanderson

Coping through the 1st world

Nice historical video. Beside that I really wanted to know how the Arabs and Indians were treated in those days. I know Somalis are dominated by clan systems. I really wanted to know how they were treated and how they cope up with the treatments and the clan system.

Seems like there was a lot of Arab and Asians? How come?

If time traveling was possible I’d go back to that time period and try to find my granddad and his family. He was a teen then. I feel like Somalis those days were so different.

Last edited:

Khanderson

Coping through the 1st world

If time traveling was possible I’d go back to that time period and try to find my granddad and his family. He was a teen then. I feel like Somalis on those days were so different.

Mogadishu was the centre of trade for centuries. There were a lot of clan minorities and minorities in general living in Mogadishu.
What I wanted to know is how they were treated.

Somalis have become extremely radicalised after the Barre administration and everything went loose. These people from the early 20th century would be shamed if they get to chance to what Somalia have became while fighting against their colonials.

If time traveling was possible I’d go back to that time period and try to find my granddad and his family. He was a teen then. I feel like Somalis on those days were so different.
Somali society has radicaly changed post 1991

Mogadishu was the centre of trade for centuries. There were a lot of clan minorities and minorities in general living in Mogadishu.
What I wanted to know is how they were treated.

Somalis have become extremely radicalised after the Barre administration and everything went loose. These people from the early 20th century would be shamed if they get to chance to what Somalia have became while fighting against their colonials.
They were treated with respect.

If time traveling was possible I’d go back to that time period and try to find my granddad and his family. He was a teen then. I feel like Somalis those days were so different.
The minorities ran the city and the religious life in Xamar

mogadishu + the southern coast + other coastal areas have always been more open to foreigners.
The area is also more fertile And northern coastal humidity means it’s harder to sustain larger populations.

There so few Indian traders in Berbera though. Some of them left when the Dervish
kicked off.

Some Somalis in the North were recorded as being fluent in Hindi probably due to contact with Indians in Aden or travelling to Bombay.

Some Indians were also living in Jigjiga when the trade started growing there.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

What is that devil costume thing they are wearng? I have seen arabs in tik tok wear furry devil looking things and dancing too!

Also they look horrid. I am sure they didn;t have shoes.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

My bad got confused with the migrant part . You’re good

EB484084-BAE8-4A43-82B3-97A5BB32B01C.png

Not a single person in that video is currently alive . They didn't lie when they said this world is an illusion
Not true, people in that vid can definitely be alive. They’d be in their late 80s and 90s. My grandparents were alive when this vid was filmed and they didn’t die too long ago.

World

VIP

Mogadishu was a prosperous urban city in the indian ocean connected to the silk road and attracted traders from arabia, south asia, malaysia, indonesia, sri lanka, persia, so thats why you see a lot of indians and arabs in xamar, it was also the same in yemen. Aden, Mocha two of their port cities in the 19th century were 25 % somali.

Small community of arabs lived across south somalia back then, not just in xamar. According to the Italian census in 1931:

About 4500 Arabs lived in Jubbaland, and they were 2.6 % of the total population mainly in kismayo and jamaame, with the rest in bardhere, jilib and luuq.

Kismayo:
1719588414421.png

1719589643334.png

Jamaame:
1719589561221.png
1719588896577.png

In the Hudur district of bakool, there was a small community of arabs:
1719587765004.png

In lower shabelle, there was a small arab community in awdhegle district on the river:
1719585997496.png

1719586212317.png

in afgoye district, there was a small yemeni community living there:
1719586262473.png

beledweyn in hiiraan:
1719590097716.png

Around 10,000 Arabs lived in Somalia(excluding Somaliland) according to italians, and the total population was 1 million.

Last edited:

Trending