Extracts from Ibn Battuta - On Somalia

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
1725754779164.png

1725753159430.png

Zayla' is a large city with a great bazaar. but it is the dirtiest most abominable. and most stinking town in the world. The reason for the stench is the quantity of its fish and blood of the camels that they slaughter in the streets. When we got there, we chose to spend the night at sea, despite than in the town, because of it's filth. On Leaving Zayla' we sailed for fifteen days and came to Maqdashaw [Mogdishu], which is an enormous town. Its inhabitants are merchants and have many camels, of which they slaughter hundreds every day [For food]. When a vessel reaches the port, it is met by Sumbuqs, which are small boats, in each of which are a number of young men, each carrying a covered dish containing food. He presents this to one of the merchants on the ship saying "This is my guest", and all the others do the same. Each merchant on disembarking goes only to the house of the young man

1725753504754.png

Who is his host, except those who have made frequent journeys to the town and know its people well ; these live where they please. The host then sells his goods for him and buys for him, and if anyone buys from him at too low a price of sells to him in the absence of his host, the sale is regarded by them as invalid. This practice is of great advantage to them. When these young men came on board our vessel, one of them approached me. My companions said "This man is not a merchant, but a theologian" whereupon the young man called out to his friends "This is the qadi's guest." Amongst them was one of the qadi's men, who went to tell him of this, so he came down to the beach with a number of students, and sent one of them to me. When i disembarked with my party, I saluted him and his party, and he said "In the name of god, let us go and salute the Shaykh." Thereupon I said "And who is this Shaykh?" He answered "The Sultan" for they call the sultan 'The Shaykh'. I said to him "When I have settled down I shall go to him," and he replied "It is the custom that whenever a theologian, or sharif, or a man of religion comes here, he must see the Sultan before taking his lodging." So I went to him as before they asked. The Sultan, who's name is Abu Bakr, Is of Berberah origin, and he talks in the Maqdishi language, though he knows Arabic. When we reached the palace and news of my arrival was sent in, a eunuch came out with a plate containing betel leaves and areca nuts. He gave me ten leaves and a few nuts, the same to the qadi, and the rest to my companions and the qadi'a students, and then said "Our master commands that he be lodged in the students' house." Later on the same eunuch brought food from the 'Shaykh's' palace. With him came one of the wazirs, who's duty was to look after the guests. and who said "Our master greets you and bids"---

1725754323627.png

--"Bids you welcome." We stayed there three days, food being brought to us three times a day, and on the fourth, a Friday, the qadi and one of the wazirs brought me a set of garments. We then went to the mosque and prayed behind the [Sultan's] screen. When the 'Shaykh' came out i greeted him and he bade me welcome. He put on his sandals, ordering the qadi and myself to do the same, and set out for his palace on foot. All the other people walked barefooted. Over his head were carried four canopies of coloured silk, each surmounted by a golden bird. After the palace ceremonies were over, all those present saluted and retired. I embarked at Maqdashaw[Mogadishu] for the swahili country...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The fish butchering he mentions giving Zayla the stench, we now know was being processed and shipped into the interior of Galbeed to complete their diet. @Emir of Zayla posted the study of it:
At Harlaa researchers also found evidence of marine fish imported from the Red Sea some 120 kilometres away. These had all been processed prior to being sent to Harlaa, either in dried or salted form to preserve them. This was indicated by the complete absence of fish heads showing these had been removed, probably at the Red Sea coast. No local freshwater fish species were found suggesting the people eating the fish were used to a sophisticated diet.

It sounds like it was a place where they processed and exported a lot of food. It's a shame he didn't stay there much and preferred to sleep on the boat, he could have given us more valuable insight into the city workings aside from mentioning it's great market place.

Another interesting thing is how he mentions mango's when listing the diet of Mogadishu and calls it by the Somali name ''Cambe'' and the Shaykh goes from talking to Ibn Battuta in Arabic and talks to one of the students in the local language

He also calls the boats ''Sambuq'' , which shows that the dhow was present in that time in the 1300 and it wasn't introduced to the Indian ocean communities by the Portuguese as some have suggested.

Last edited:

Khaemwaset

VIP
The fish butchering he mentions giving Zayla the stench, we now know was being processed and shipped into the interior of Galbeed to complete their diet. @Emir of Zayla posted the study of it:

It sounds like it was a place where they processed and exported a lot of food. It's a shame he didn't stay there much and preferred to sleep on the boat, he could have given us more valuable insight into the city workings aside from mentioning it's great market place.

Another interesting thing is how he mentions mango's when listing the diet of Mogadishu and calls it by the Somali name ''Cambe'' and the Shaykh goes from talking to Ibn Battuta in Arabic and talks to one of the students in the local language

He also calls the boats ''Sambuq'' , which shows that the dhow was present in that time in the 1300 and it wasn't introduced to the Indian ocean communities by the Portuguese as some have suggested.

Khaemwaset

VIP
I'm sure you would be able to find it somewhere, judging by how ibn battuta is well known and is seen as a prized national figure by Morrocans.

Also I'd go looking around other Arab texts held in libraries and archives in places like Yemen Egypt Syria and Oman. There are definitely many texts about Somalia. We have found quits a few already.

The language spoken by the Sultan is actually mentioned twice. Many people have discussed the first, yet you rarely see the second reference to the language being spoken by the elites being brought up.

When Ibn Batuta lands in Muqdisho, he is welcomed by a Qadi by the name of Abu Burhan al Masri. Some of the western translators lazily translate this as an “Egyptian”. While he certainly may have been of Egyptian descent lineage wise, it could also be a nickname (due to his travels or studies, or some other reason what have you). On the day of the Jumuah, the Sultan arrives and speaks to the Qadi, about which Ibn Batuta writes:

الشيخ من باب المقصورة سلّمت عليه مع القاضي، فرحّب و تكلّم بلسانهم مع القاضي، ثم قال باللسان العربيّ:

When the sheikh came out of the door of the chamber, I greeted him with the judge, and he welcomed him and spoke in their language to the judge, then he said in the Arabic language

As you can see, the Qadi Al Burhan Al Masri also spoke in the local “Maqdishi” language, so two of the most elite people in the town are conversing in a local language despite the prestige Arabic held and the presence of an honourable Arab-speaking guest.

Last edited:
Enuech how can you even tell
His cock and balls were cut off so he probably looked kinda feminine with a high-pitched voice. Powerful men all around the world came to the same conclusion that you cannot have a male slave with working gentiles around their female family members. :mjlol:

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
His cock and balls were cut off so he probably looked kinda feminine with a high-pitched voice. Powerful men all around the world came to the same conclusion that you cannot have a male slave with working gentiles around their female family members. :mjlol:
friday movie GIF

thats fucked up lol cant imagine any somali culture doing that wild times

When Ibn Batuta lands in Muqdisho, he is welcomed by a Qadi by the name of Abu Burhan al Masri. Some of the western translators lazily translate this as an “Egyptian”. While he certainly may have been of Egyptian descent lineage wise, it could also be a nickname (due to his travels or studies, or some other reason what have you). On the day of the Jumuah, the Sultan arrives and speaks to the Qadi, about which Ibn Batuta writes:

الشيخ من باب المقصورة سلّمت عليه مع القاضي، فرحّب و تكلّم بلسانهم مع القاضي، ثم قال باللسان العربيّ:

When the sheikh came out of the door of the chamber, I greeted him with the judge, and he welcomed him and spoke in their language to the judge, then he said in the Arabic language

As you can see, the Qadi Al Burhan Al Masri also spoke in the local “Maqdishi” language, so two of the most elite people in the town are conversing in a local language despite the prestige Arabic held and the presence of an honourable Arab-speaking guest.

Judge Ibn Al-Burhan is of Egyptian origin.

ولما وصلت مع القاضي المذكور وهو يعرف بابن البرهان المصري الأصل إلى دار السلطان خرج بعض الفتيان فسلم على القاضي

When I arrived with the aforementioned judge, known as Ibn Al-Burhan, of Egyptian origin, at the Sultan's house, some young men came out and greeted the judge.

Judge Ibn Al-Burhan is of Egyptian origin.

ولما وصلت مع القاضي المذكور وهو يعرف بابن البرهان المصري الأصل إلى دار السلطان خرج بعض الفتيان فسلم على القاضي

When I arrived with the aforementioned judge, known as Ibn Al-Burhan, of Egyptian origin, at the Sultan's house, some young men came out and greeted the judge.
Thanks, I missed that bit. This “Egyptian” is still speaking the local language which would mean he was born there or came there at an early age. It could also mean that his “Asal” was of Egyptian origin but his people moved to Muqdisho and married into the locals. This should not be ruled out because we know there was continuous waves of Arab Migrants settling in Muqdisho; his family could have arrived several centuries earlier. I lean towards the latter because Ibn Batuta notes the “Berbers” Sultan speaks Arabic as a second language, then when he mentions the second encounter he refers to them speaking in their tongue. He doesn’t mention the Qadis ability to speak a second language, which would have been the case if the Qadi was a migrant from Egypt. He would have had some roots in the local area to have been made a Qadi and have spoken the local language fluently. I don’t think he was a straight up Masri imported to assume a high ranking position.

The important point here is the confirmation by an eyewitness of local elites speaking a local language in the medieval period. Given the importance of Arabic as a religious literary language amongst the elites at the time, one can assume the local Somali population had a substantial role in forming the culture and socio economics of the City. We also have an earlier inscription which alludes to the usage of the Somali east Cushitic calendar in Muqdisho. The language being spoken at that time and ibn Batuta clearly stating the Sultans heritage as being from Berberi goes against the Somalis “didn’t have much influence in the city” narrative. Such an argument makes no linguistic, cultural or economic sense. This is similar to other claims about Muqdisho being named after Maqd As Shah or Xamar being named after the Arabic colour red. Some of these claims are taken as fact when they’re just theories. An equal argument could well be made for both those terms having a Somali origin.

Enuech how can you even tell
Wild times :damedamn:

Learned something new, the Eunuch he mentioned was most likely an Ethiopian slave as they were very common throughout the Muslim world.
hJgQ997.png

The legacy of Ethiopian slavery in Mogadishu is reflected on (Xabash) being synonymous with a slave and it's persistence in the southern dialects both on the benadiri coast and in the interriverine interior. Which still continue to call slaves Xabash.

PEIfFKU.png

Somali dictionary synonyms:
kSSU5iv.jpeg

I also remember reading that Portuguese mentioned Ethiopian slave in Mogadishu, but i can't really find where i read it.
So if anyone could help me out and find it, it will be good.

It will offer strong proof against the false notion that Southern Somalia had Bantu plantation slaves during the medieval period.

Last edited:
Thanks, I missed that bit. This “Egyptian” is still speaking the local language which would mean he was born there or came there at an early age. It could also mean that his “Asal” was of Egyptian origin but his people moved to Muqdisho and married into the locals. This should not be ruled out because we know there was continuous waves of Arab Migrants settling in Muqdisho; his family could have arrived several centuries earlier. I lean towards the latter because Ibn Batuta notes the “Berbers” Sultan speaks Arabic as a second language, then when he mentions the second encounter he refers to them speaking in their tongue. He doesn’t mention the Qadis ability to speak a second language, which would have been the case if the Qadi was a migrant from Egypt. He would have had some roots in the local area to have been made a Qadi and have spoken the local language fluently. I don’t think he was a straight up Masri imported to assume a high ranking position.

The important point here is the confirmation by an eyewitness of local elites speaking a local language in the medieval period. Given the importance of Arabic as a religious literary language amongst the elites at the time, one can assume the local Somali population had a substantial role in forming the culture and socio economics of the City. We also have an earlier inscription which alludes to the usage of the Somali east Cushitic calendar in Muqdisho. The language being spoken at that time and ibn Batuta clearly stating the Sultans heritage as being from Berberi goes against the Somalis “didn’t have much influence in the city” narrative. Such an argument makes no linguistic, cultural or economic sense. This is similar to other claims about Muqdisho being named after Maqd As Shah or Xamar being named after the Arabic colour red. Some of these claims are taken as fact when they’re just theories. An equal argument could well be made for both those terms having a Somali origin.
What's known and claimed by reer xamars is that Xamar is from Ximyar and that Muqdisho is from Maq'ad Shaah, you won't see any reer xamar saying it's from the maxatiri word muuq disho. People of Xamar know xamar better than any other people, vast majority of history of xamar is known through the manuscripts held by Reer Xamars

What's known and claimed by reer xamars is that Xamar is from Ximyar and that Muqdisho is from Maq'ad Shaah, you won't see any reer xamar saying it's from the maxatiri word muuq disho. People of Xamar know xamar better than any other people, vast majority of history of xamar is known through the manuscripts held by Reer Xamars

Yeah, some reer Xamar wrote in a manuscript that Muqdisho comes from Maqadshah and that Xamar comes from the word Arabic-red, so know we must take it as fact and explore no other alternatives. 🤣So when was the Persian King ruling Muqdisho and when was the first recorded mention of muqdisho being named after the shah? When was the first record connection of the word Xamar being derived from Arabic? 🤣

Khaemwaset

VIP
Not at all, this first hand Arab account disproves the bs your kind love to put out there. Keep meatriding Somalis Reer Hindi

Khaemwaset

VIP
Yeah, some reer Xamar wrote in a manuscript that Muqdisho comes from Maqadshah and that Xamar comes from the word Arabic-red, so know we must take it as fact and explore no other alternatives. 🤣So when was the Persian King ruling Muqdisho and when was the first recorded mention of muqdisho being named after the shah? When was the first record connection of the word Xamar being derived from Arabic? 🤣
Also why haven't Arabs and Iranians layed claim to it in their records? These two people's are known for recording it all, we have concrete proof for Arabs taking parts of southern Italy but not a city right below Arabia? Even worse for reer hindi, detailed Arabic sources about Mogadishu and Somalia claim that it is a land of Ajami (non arabs) ruled by a King who spoke Arabic as a second language with his first being the local tounge. Just give up lil bro @Banadiri Warrior

Trending