Half Somali half South African girl shares her experience ( reddit post )

Saw this post on Reddit thought it was interesting she shared her experience living in the Somali community in SA she wants to go to somalia to visit family but is unsure there’s a bunch of other mixed people in the comments giving their experiences as well what do you guys think ?

As long as your fathers Somali and you speak Somali, then there’s no issue you’ll face back home.
You’re right that it’s better for those who’s father is Somali but let’s not act like they’re welcome with open arms in the Somali community, I knew a guy who was half Yemeni (his father was Somali) and he still looked quite Somali (more like a barawani but still) people would look at him like he didn’t belong and wasn’t a part of the community, so it’s not all sunshine and rainbows for mixed Somali kids period.

They’ll be completely denied as Somali and rejected by the community if the mother is Somali and they’ll never really fit in and be seen as different if their father is Somali. We’re just a xenophobic people period.

Anyone who doesn’t look like us will get the suspicious looks period, we’ve always been this way, an inwards xenophobic people who don’t allow non-Somalis into our community, we literally use abtirsi to make sure there’s no fake Somalis in our circles lol. Just the sad truth.

You’re right that it’s better for those who’s father is Somali but let’s not act like they’re welcome with open arms in the Somali community, I knew a guy who was half Yemeni (his father was Somali) and he still looked quite Somali (more like a barawani but still) people would look at him like he didn’t belong and wasn’t a part of the community, so it’s not all sunshine and rainbows for mixed Somali kids period.

They’ll be completely denied as Somali and rejected by the community if the mother is Somali and they’ll never really fit in and be seen as different if their father is Somali. We’re just a xenophobic people period.

Anyone who doesn’t look like us will get the suspicious looks period, we’ve always been this way, an inwards xenophobic people who don’t allow non-Somalis into our community, we literally use abtirsi to make sure there’s no fake Somalis in our circles lol. Just the sad truth.
Ya It definitely ain’t all sunshine mixed people have a unique experience tbh

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

Saw this post on Reddit thought it was interesting she shared her experience living in the Somali community in SA she wants to go to somalia to visit family but is unsure there’s a bunch of other mixed people in the comments giving their experiences as well what do you guys think ?

I didn't read nothing. But just the thought of having a south african DNA makes my naasos leak caano :susp:

Some of these users in the same breathe will tell you if you look lightskin and somali you’ll be prized and then say stuff like this never feeling like they belong

which is it we praise lightskin or diverse features or we don’t ?

This is patently untrue, Somalis honestly could give less of a f*ck if you’re part-Arab.
:dead:
Well I was exxagerating but their (arabs and other asiatics) are clearly seen as more favorable to those mixed with bantu. It's why cadcads are ~40% Somali admixed on average while madhibaan and tumaals aren't

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
Well I was exxagerating but their (arabs and other asiatics) are clearly seen as more favorable to those mixed with bantu. It's why cadcads are ~40% Somali admixed on average while madhibaan and tumaals aren't

Madhibaan and Tumaal are ethnic Somalis?

I think you’re mistaking them with Bantu Somalis who are more recent migrants and also had societal barriers to intermarriage.

Could he speak Somali? Usually if the mixed person can speak the language, is integrated culturally and can pass for Somali look-wise they're fully accepted. I have half Yemeni cousins (father is Yemeni) and they're treated like regular Somalis. They married Somalis and are completely integrated into the community, you wouldn't think they're mixed either since their looks pretty much fit the Somali phenotype spectrum (we have plenty of natural lightskins).

Some of these users in the same breathe will tell you if you look lightskin and somali you’ll be prized and then say stuff like this never feeling like they belong

which is it we praise lightskin or diverse features or we don’t ?
It’s not just light skin, it’s if your facial features don’t look Somali, don’t get it twisted.

Someone like maya jama can pass but a half Cadaan who looks Arab or Mediterranean would still get looks regardless, let’s not lie to ourselves.

Last edited:
It’s not just light skin, it’s if your facial feature don’t look Somali, don’t get it twisted.

Someone like maya jama can pass but a half Cadaan who looks Arab or Mediterranean would still get looks regardless, let’s not lie to ourselves.
TBH Maya Jama looks racially ambiguous you’d never really be able to tell where she’s from if you saw her on the streets

Last edited:
irl i have friends who are half black half somali no one sees them as any less somali idk maybe bc shes in africa no one ik would really care or gossip abt that.