Healing in the Heart of Bossaso

A short story that follows a woman on a profound journey of healing, returning to her roots in Somalia after the echoes of lost love reverberate through her heart. As she navigates the sun-baked streets of her homeland, she confronts memories and emotions, seeking solace in the familiar landscapes that shaped her.

Please enjoy, all feedback is appreciated 👏

Title: Healing in the Heart of Bossaso

As I sink into the living room sofa in my apartment on this windy October evening, I can’t help but smile as I reflect on this past year. I’m truly proud of myself. Though not much has changed outwardly, something deep within me has shifted. I don’t mean to say I’ve forgotten everything or that I’m fully healed; far from it. Wandering the streets of London and bustling about in my little apartment, I no longer see his ghost. And when I catch a glimpse, it hardly bothers me; he’s just another character in the story of my life, a chapter that’s now turned. I feel like myself again, and for that, I’m grateful. It’s a blessing I could hardly imagine just ten months ago, when that very same blessing brought me so much pain.
To understand where this story is headed, let me take you back to where it all began. A year ago, I packed my bags and moved between two countries, feeling like nothing more than a shell of my former self. I was an empty vessel, the essence of who I was shattered and scattered on the floor. I had cried; bled for so long that I felt utterly depleted. To be honest, when I moved from one undeserving person to another, what did I really expect? Disappointed and frustrated by the first, only to be hurt and abandoned by the second. Some might say I was asking for it, and to be truthful, I would agree with them too.
My first relationship blossomed like spring, filled with promises and sweet nothings whispered during late-night calls that seemed to stretch on forever. But like petals fading too soon, it quickly wilted under the weight of betrayal. I still remember the day I accidentally opened the wrong message on his phone. In that instant, the air felt heavy, and for a moment I thought my heart had stopped. Hot tears filled my eyes as I read the words exchanged. When he turned to face me, his eyes wide with panic, we both knew that moment had marked the loss of something precious between us. From that day on, the scent of deceit lingered, a persistent reminder that no fragrance could mask and no heartfelt conversation could erase. It wasn’t just the act of betrayal; it was the shattering of my belief in love itself.
Then came my second relationship; it felt like a desperate escape, a way to fill the void left behind. We took trips together and played house for a while, indulging in a kind of role-playing where we both ran away from our realities, each hoping the other could fix them and fill the emptiness in each other’s lives. For a while, I must say it was a wonderful diversion, a fleeting bliss that masked my confusion and despair. But as reality crashed in with its relentless questions and challenges, I knew deep down it would never work. What I had mistaken for passion revealed itself to be a chaotic spiral. I found myself laughing at all the wrong jokes, enduring conversations that felt hollow, desperately convincing myself it was okay. I walked on eggshells, convinced that if I made myself small enough, everything would somehow fall into place. Yet, amid that chaos, I began to glimpse signs of my own growth. I felt my wings starting to emerge, and I realized the cage I had put myself in was becoming far too small. I understood that I had been holding on tightly, trying so hard, and running away from confronting my own pain and the healing I desperately needed. In clinging to a love that was crumbling, I had lost another piece of me. And on one cold winter night, as snow lashed against my window, and I finished my Isha prayer, the truth struck me like lightning: I was erasing myself to fit into someone else’s world. That realization ignited something within me, a fire to reclaim my identity. I packed my suitcase with a few clothes and a heart that was broken yet determined to heal and fled across borders, ready to live my life on my own terms and finally confront myself and the journey of healing that lay ahead.
Months drifted by in a heavy haze as I navigated my new life back home in Somalia. Family and relatives surrounded me, yet the country felt like a thin veneer of familiarity, barely masking the years of absence. I could sense the worry in my family’s eyes; how could they not be concerned? Their gazes lingered on my slumped shoulders as I trudged through chores and conversations. Bossaso held its own ghosts, crumbling buildings and old friends who had moved on yet amidst this, I found a surprising clarity. Solitude, contemplation, and the challenges of returning to my hometown became my allies. Strolling along the beach, engaging in conversations with my family, and immersing myself in my new job, I felt as though pieces of myself were slowly coming together again.
In the heart of Bossaso, I found a surprising sense of peace that began to seep into my very being. Surrounded by familiar faces and the warmth of a community that embraced simplicity, I learned to let go of the frenetic pace I had grown accustomed to in the Western world. Here, life was not defined by deadlines or the relentless hustle; instead, it was about connection, laughter, and the beauty of everyday moments. The carefree spirit of my hometown invited me to breathe deeply and take my time, allowing my soul the space to heal. I realized that the essence of Bossaso, its vibrant sunsets, the rhythm of the waves, and the laughter of children playing in the streets, taught me to unlearn the pressures that had weighed me down. In this new environment, I began to rediscover the joy of simply being, and with each passing day, I felt the fragments of my heart slowly coming together again.
As the months trickled by like melting wax, I found myself reflecting on my upbringing in a Somali household that valued toughness and resilience above all. I had always been taught to move on quickly and avoid dwelling on pain. But this time, returning home, I made a conscious decision to sit with my feelings and experience them fully. I realized that the only way through my pain was to walk right through it. And in this new approach, prayer and meditation became the transformative practices that helped uncover wounds I had buried beneath layers of defense. While I still recalled memories that caused me pain, I started to weave new narratives, stories of resilience and self-love. I learned to listen to my own needs and redefine what love truly meant for me. For the first time, I was learning to embrace my feelings while actively healing. It became clear that it wasn’t just the relationships that had broken me; it was my struggle to navigate my own self-worth, mistaking love for dependency. Through laughter and quiet moments of reflection, I began to rediscover myself, carefully piecing together the shards I once thought were lost forever.
Now that I’m back in London, in the apartment I once shared with him, full of memories and shadows, I find myself reflecting one October evening. As I sit in the dimly lit living room, vibrant leaves swirl outside my window, and I feel a shift within me. The winds seem to whisper secrets of renewal. I remember a moment I had with myself earlier that week when I took a long walk along the riverbank. The crisp autumn air was invigorating, and for the first time, I didn’t feel like I was walking toward my past; I was moving toward possibility. Children laughed, dogs barked, and couples strolled hand in hand, awakening a familiar longing in my chest. This time, though, it was a yearning for life itself, not for validation.
And now, as I sit on the sofa, the wind howling outside, I bask in the newfound strength pulsating through my veins. I am not naïve enough to think it's all over; life is a tender mess and a beautiful gift. But I have shed enough of my past to understand that healing is not a destination; it is a journey, a constant unraveling that leads to self-discovery and authenticity. It is a journey that I am proud to be living. I smile again, deeply, because I know that behind me lies a year of transformation, and ahead of me awaits the boundless possibilities of all the chapters yet unread.
---
With love, M

Does every story a gen z somali diasporan writes have to be about shuukansi, FaceTiming to shuukansi. Or reminiscing about a failed dating stage. What of bosaso? What of the local people? What of the history? What of the past? Think outside the box, touch on the culture, the mannerisms, the weather, the geography, the current hour, anything and everything.

there’s so much you could write about

A short story that follows a woman on a profound journey of healing, returning to her roots in Somalia after the echoes of lost love reverberate through her heart. As she navigates the sun-baked streets of her homeland, she confronts memories and emotions, seeking solace in the familiar landscapes that shaped her.

Please enjoy, all feedback is appreciated 👏

Title: Healing in the Heart of Bossaso

As I sink into the living room sofa in my apartment on this windy October evening, I can’t help but smile as I reflect on this past year. I’m truly proud of myself. Though not much has changed outwardly, something deep within me has shifted. I don’t mean to say I’ve forgotten everything or that I’m fully healed; far from it. Wandering the streets of London and bustling about in my little apartment, I no longer see his ghost. And when I catch a glimpse, it hardly bothers me; he’s just another character in the story of my life, a chapter that’s now turned. I feel like myself again, and for that, I’m grateful. It’s a blessing I could hardly imagine just ten months ago, when that very same blessing brought me so much pain.
To understand where this story is headed, let me take you back to where it all began. A year ago, I packed my bags and moved between two countries, feeling like nothing more than a shell of my former self. I was an empty vessel, the essence of who I was shattered and scattered on the floor. I had cried; bled for so long that I felt utterly depleted. To be honest, when I moved from one undeserving person to another, what did I really expect? Disappointed and frustrated by the first, only to be hurt and abandoned by the second. Some might say I was asking for it, and to be truthful, I would agree with them too.
My first relationship blossomed like spring, filled with promises and sweet nothings whispered during late-night calls that seemed to stretch on forever. But like petals fading too soon, it quickly wilted under the weight of betrayal. I still remember the day I accidentally opened the wrong message on his phone. In that instant, the air felt heavy, and for a moment I thought my heart had stopped. Hot tears filled my eyes as I read the words exchanged. When he turned to face me, his eyes wide with panic, we both knew that moment had marked the loss of something precious between us. From that day on, the scent of deceit lingered, a persistent reminder that no fragrance could mask and no heartfelt conversation could erase. It wasn’t just the act of betrayal; it was the shattering of my belief in love itself.
Then came my second relationship; it felt like a desperate escape, a way to fill the void left behind. We took trips together and played house for a while, indulging in a kind of role-playing where we both ran away from our realities, each hoping the other could fix them and fill the emptiness in each other’s lives. For a while, I must say it was a wonderful diversion, a fleeting bliss that masked my confusion and despair. But as reality crashed in with its relentless questions and challenges, I knew deep down it would never work. What I had mistaken for passion revealed itself to be a chaotic spiral. I found myself laughing at all the wrong jokes, enduring conversations that felt hollow, desperately convincing myself it was okay. I walked on eggshells, convinced that if I made myself small enough, everything would somehow fall into place. Yet, amid that chaos, I began to glimpse signs of my own growth. I felt my wings starting to emerge, and I realized the cage I had put myself in was becoming far too small. I understood that I had been holding on tightly, trying so hard, and running away from confronting my own pain and the healing I desperately needed. In clinging to a love that was crumbling, I had lost another piece of me. And on one cold winter night, as snow lashed against my window, and I finished my Isha prayer, the truth struck me like lightning: I was erasing myself to fit into someone else’s world. That realization ignited something within me, a fire to reclaim my identity. I packed my suitcase with a few clothes and a heart that was broken yet determined to heal and fled across borders, ready to live my life on my own terms and finally confront myself and the journey of healing that lay ahead.
Months drifted by in a heavy haze as I navigated my new life back home in Somalia. Family and relatives surrounded me, yet the country felt like a thin veneer of familiarity, barely masking the years of absence. I could sense the worry in my family’s eyes; how could they not be concerned? Their gazes lingered on my slumped shoulders as I trudged through chores and conversations. Bossaso held its own ghosts, crumbling buildings and old friends who had moved on yet amidst this, I found a surprising clarity. Solitude, contemplation, and the challenges of returning to my hometown became my allies. Strolling along the beach, engaging in conversations with my family, and immersing myself in my new job, I felt as though pieces of myself were slowly coming together again.
In the heart of Bossaso, I found a surprising sense of peace that began to seep into my very being. Surrounded by familiar faces and the warmth of a community that embraced simplicity, I learned to let go of the frenetic pace I had grown accustomed to in the Western world. Here, life was not defined by deadlines or the relentless hustle; instead, it was about connection, laughter, and the beauty of everyday moments. The carefree spirit of my hometown invited me to breathe deeply and take my time, allowing my soul the space to heal. I realized that the essence of Bossaso, its vibrant sunsets, the rhythm of the waves, and the laughter of children playing in the streets, taught me to unlearn the pressures that had weighed me down. In this new environment, I began to rediscover the joy of simply being, and with each passing day, I felt the fragments of my heart slowly coming together again.
As the months trickled by like melting wax, I found myself reflecting on my upbringing in a Somali household that valued toughness and resilience above all. I had always been taught to move on quickly and avoid dwelling on pain. But this time, returning home, I made a conscious decision to sit with my feelings and experience them fully. I realized that the only way through my pain was to walk right through it. And in this new approach, prayer and meditation became the transformative practices that helped uncover wounds I had buried beneath layers of defense. While I still recalled memories that caused me pain, I started to weave new narratives, stories of resilience and self-love. I learned to listen to my own needs and redefine what love truly meant for me. For the first time, I was learning to embrace my feelings while actively healing. It became clear that it wasn’t just the relationships that had broken me; it was my struggle to navigate my own self-worth, mistaking love for dependency. Through laughter and quiet moments of reflection, I began to rediscover myself, carefully piecing together the shards I once thought were lost forever.
Now that I’m back in London, in the apartment I once shared with him, full of memories and shadows, I find myself reflecting one October evening. As I sit in the dimly lit living room, vibrant leaves swirl outside my window, and I feel a shift within me. The winds seem to whisper secrets of renewal. I remember a moment I had with myself earlier that week when I took a long walk along the riverbank. The crisp autumn air was invigorating, and for the first time, I didn’t feel like I was walking toward my past; I was moving toward possibility. Children laughed, dogs barked, and couples strolled hand in hand, awakening a familiar longing in my chest. This time, though, it was a yearning for life itself, not for validation.
And now, as I sit on the sofa, the wind howling outside, I bask in the newfound strength pulsating through my veins. I am not naïve enough to think it's all over; life is a tender mess and a beautiful gift. But I have shed enough of my past to understand that healing is not a destination; it is a journey, a constant unraveling that leads to self-discovery and authenticity. It is a journey that I am proud to be living. I smile again, deeply, because I know that behind me lies a year of transformation, and ahead of me awaits the boundless possibilities of all the chapters yet unread.
---
With love, M
Sxb shorten this I've been doing assignments all day. I can't read anymore:childplease:

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
Should of ended it with her getting "happily" re-married to some old oday and becoming the 4th wife.
Trash Throw Away GIF by Jomboy Media

Overall 2.5/10 I liked the poetic style of writing.