How are Cushites related?

This might be a dumb question, but hear me out. How are we all related if we have different paternal haplogroups. For example, Hawiyah and Darood have E-V32 while Dir have T-L208 and Afar with E-V6/J1-P58 and so on.

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
Paternal haplogroups don't matter much for determining overall ancestry.

For example if I moved into a Chinese family in Beijing and had male children and over the centuries they had children with other Chinese people their DNA would be 99% Han Chinese but their paternal haplogroup would still be Somali and might've at this point mutated to their own distinct subclade now indigenous to China.

It's the genetic equivalent of lineage. It just tells you the migration patterns your paternal ancestors took. Autosomal DNA (your overall genetic makeup) is what makes Cushites related to each other.

1721185557463.png

For example if I moved into a Chinese family in Beijing and had male children and over the centuries they had children with other Chinese people their DNA would be 99% Han Chinese but their paternal haplogroup would still be Somali and might've at this point mutated to their own distinct subclade now indigenous to China.

It's the genetic equivalent of lineage. It just tells you the migration patterns your paternal ancestors took. Autosomal DNA (your overall genetic makeup) is what makes Cushites related to each other.

View attachment 334711
Pardon me, but if I understand correctly chart , does it means that an moroccan or an algerian is closer geneticaly on average to a somali than a yoruba ?

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
Pardon me, but if I understand correctly chart , does it means that an moroccan or an algerian is closer geneticaly on average to a somali than a yoruba ?
Yeah they are. We share some of the same ancestors 10k years back. We diverged from Yorobus some 50k years ago

Yeah they are. We share some of the same ancestors 10k years back. We diverged from Yorobus some 50k years ago
Crazy cause we look closer to a Yoruba than amazigh . Does ethio Somali ancestry go back 10k years i thought it was 1000 to 2000 years ago

View attachment 334711
True but haplogroups can also have strong correlations with certain ancestries. For example, most E1b1b carriers have ton of Natufian ancestry

Conceptions of groups certainly extend beyond haplogroups. Every population has many different paternal and maternal origins that are unrelated. Usually, the criteria are the autosomal aspect shaped by an identity that reinforces mixing, coupled with years of ingroup exclusivity.

I have gone into this in the past. The merging of the T haplogroups people was likely a deliberate inter-tribal union that fits into a broader ancient Somali confederation process. These rules change diachronically or some part of it is lost, and new aspects are added. The early idea of integration could have been strategic instrumentalist in certain cases, subsequently assimilating into an ancestral system that existed simultaneously.

These are some of the ways tribal identity culture can have many complexities. I find the discourse rather over-simplified, a perspective that leaves us with a limited scope of understanding of the not-so-simple formations.

View attachment 334711
Dang, thats kinda crazy how Amhara and Agaw are more related to somalis than anfar

Trending

Latest posts