Not open for further replies.

Bernie Madoff

Afhayeenka SL
VIP
@Realwarya what do you think?
200_s.gif

angrycat

not so sad after all
they misled by putting up a pic of a morbidly obese man. But being clinically overweight, (bmi of 25/26) is apparently healthy for older folks. Thats what I read, I dont know how true it is. knowing tabloid science theyll change their minds another ten yrs

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
Risk of death increases by 20 to 40 per cent for overweight people I think. Look it up. This article is some feel good shit for fatties to digest.

For the two posters above me, it's not tabloid but a actual study. Here's the journal: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2520627

:lol: Welcome to the world of statistics though. Things can become incredibly misleading without context. Like this study. If you read the article, or if you're familiar with how BMI works, you'd know that BMI is a really faulty metric to use when trying to determine who's overweight or obese. BMI only uses two factors, weight and height. So that doesn't account for muscle. You'll have a bunch of low body fat and muscular tall niggas clumped in with the fat asses. Another thing to note, people who are sick, or struggle with mental illnesses and people with addictions are usually pretty thin right? Think of a Alzheimer's patient, or a inmate at a mental health facility, or a heroin addict. Most of the time their underweight. So clumping those type of people in with the fit thin people and then making a conclusion of the mortality of that group is ridiculous. Correlation without context can be extremely misleading.

I don't want to discredit the researchers because in their journal it seems like they're just as confused as us. It seems like they just ran a empirical experiment and have yet to find the cause for their results. If anything let's blame National Post for sensationalizing all of this. From the conclusion part of the research journal:

Conclusions and Relevance Among 3 Danish cohorts, the BMI associated with the lowest all-cause mortality increased by 3.3 from cohorts enrolled from 1976-1978 through 2003-2013. Further investigation is needed to understand the reason for this change and its implications.

Last edited:

angrycat

not so sad after all
Oh yeah, youre completely right about that it makes sense. Putting up a pic of a fat guy with a donut is really stupid because most noticably fat or chubby ppl r considered obese by bmi, it seems like they want to lead someone straight to a heart attack

Status
Not open for further replies.