How many children do you plan on having?

How many children do you plan on having?

Votes: 1 5.6%

Votes: 5 27.8%

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 4 or more

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
For those who plan on having children, pls answer poll, research purposes. also do take into consideration your own financial situation and work life etc before answering.

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
4 or 5, maybe 6. I would want my house filled with laughter and talking, not silence.

Cambar

peace is the key
4 or 5, maybe 6. I would want my house filled with laughter and talking, not silence.
I agree, I hate empty houses but not 6 though. Maybe 4, easy to support and I love kids. As a teenager, I always thought I was never gonna get kids, being the oldest was so draining and I was sick and tired of them

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Most will have 2-3, the fertility rates of somalis has dropped dramatically in the west..
From what I have seen, thats not the case (yet).

Most women desire atleast 4 children and from what I have seen, nearly every married somali woman born or raised in the west has 4 kids alxamdulillah.

Tiyeglow

A Laandheere always pays his debts
Anyone who says 2, willingly, fair enough. I initially wanted a dozen, but happy with anything from 6 to 12 inshaAllah. The more the merry. For those quality over quantity folks, why isn't every single child household flourishing, Ivy league graduates, confident, prosperous? The reality is siblings bring an intangible benefit which money simply cannot replace and yes that benefit is marginal after say 6th child (just my observation, admittedly arbitrary number), but it still has immense benefits. Children pass on heuristics and skills down to one another, the support system of siblings is invaluable and its the greatest confidence builder / people to check you when you fall out of line. My neighbour got smacked up so hard by his older brother when he started smoking, I remember he just had to take it. When you are a teen, not too many people can talk to you given your inflated ego and your in peak thug life mode, especially as a boy.

Anyone who says 2, willingly, fair enough. I initially wanted a dozen, but happy with anything from 6 to 12 inshaAllah. The more the merry. For those quality over quantity folks, why isn't every single child household flourishing, Ivy league graduates, confident, prosperous? The reality is siblings bring an intangible benefit which money simply cannot replace and yes that benefit is marginal after say 6th child (just my observation, admittedly arbitrary number), but it still has immense benefits. Children pass on heuristics and skills down to one another, the support system of siblings is invaluable and its the greatest confidence builder / people to check you when you fall out of line. My neighbour got smacked up so hard by his older brother when he started smoking, I remember he just had to take it. When you are a teen, not too many people can talk to you given your inflated ego and your in peak thug life mode, especially as a boy.
Anything more than 2-3 is unrealistic if you live in the west. More people are marrying in their late 20s due to higher education/work, having their first child at least 2 years later. + I’m assuming both parents in the household will be working fulltime. Also you have to factor in divorce. Alot of couples around me pop out 1-2 kids then get a divorce, those who re-marry wait a couple of years before they get married again. If they’re lucky they’ll have 1 or 2 more children.

You just dont have enough time to have as many kids as the past generation.

Gojo Satoru

Staff Member
From what I have seen, thats not the case (yet).

Most women desire atleast 4 children and from what I have seen, nearly every married somali woman born or raised in the west has 4 kids alxamdulillah.
I don't think this is true. It's more like 2-3 kids. The days of somalis popping out more than 4 kids in west is over as everything is too expensive now.

Tiyeglow

A Laandheere always pays his debts
Anything more than 2-3 is unrealistic if you live in the west. More people are marrying in their late 20s due to higher education/work, having their first child at least 2 years later. + I’m assuming both parents in the household will be working fulltime. Also you have to factor in divorce. Alot of couples around me pop out 1-2 kids then get a divorce, those who re-marry wait a couple of years before they get married again. If they’re lucky they’ll have 1 or 2 more children.

You just dont have enough time to have as many kids as the past generation.
Fair enough, I think the greatest factor inhibiting and precluding a large family is the cost of living. Everything else, including age of women marriage is overblown (most of our parents fled civil war and thus got married later, we still have a large family in the West).

Control cost of living is the best incentive for a state to encourage child birth. Given it is literally below the replacement rate in all Western nations, its in their interest to do so - and the reason behind immigration, they aren't do it out of altruism but genuine fear of demographic collapse.

Gojo Satoru

Staff Member
Yeah 2-3 is more than enough in this economy
Unless you're well off or move back home having more than that in the west is not realistic. Even back then it was hard but the cost of living in our parent's generation was much less and housing was even cheaper so they could get by supporting several kids. Doing that now is pretty much impossible