How prevalent was poaching in Somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
First time I went to Somalia I actually saw Giraffes, Elephants and other beautiful animals they were caged tho. From what I've been told Somalis were killing beautiful animals like the elephant and cheetahs and now we hardly have a wild life.

Picture from Somalia 70s

2987385267_684843abf3.jpg

Somali man playing with two cheetahs.

Somali_man_playing_with_two_cheetah_cubs.jpg

Giraffes in Somalia, I think this pic is recent.

Reticulated-Giraffe_624.jpg

The lack of a diverse fauna has more to do with pastoralism than poaching. My awoowe told me in badiye they used to have a lot of carnivorous animals around back in the day but they had to chase them away because they would keep fucking with our xoolo. Many of these animals are now in Kenya or Ethiopia. He was also telling me animals like elephants and other herbivores would migrate during the abaar (dry) season and many of them never came back because Kenyans would steal them and put them in their parks. Either way reer badiye people are really happy with the situation right now because their xoolo don't have to worry about competing over grazing food/plants with other animals cuz there isn't many.

I think if you go really South you'll see a lot of different animals because they have more green/grassy areas that animals could have a decent habitat to live in.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
When/where did you see giraffes in Somalia?
:wtf:
Why you lying? They long gone
You prolly saw ostriches and thought it was giraffes.

Land of Punt

Punt is an cushtic empire located in the horn
lol, "First time I went to Somalia I actually saw Giraffes" , i stopped reading after that..

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP
Poaching maxa ah they fled when the first bullets where fired in 91. I hear bare bahals are still fleeing, the other day I heard 3 ostriches, 2 elephants & a zebra were caught tahriibing on a boat in the coast of Aden fleeing Somali, war the people are fleeing animalska markas inta joogan.

Al Dhoobe

Dr. Dhoobe
While poaching did exist, Somalis like to blame others for everything. We ate all the wild animals during the civil war, that's where they went.:eminemdamn:

Apollo

VIP
but look where that subspecies lives now

That map looks like bullshit to me. How can Giraffes know exact political borders? That subspecies originated in Somalia so surely there are some still living in Somalia, especially the Jubba region.

Night

Issa Warrior
Map looks like bullshit to me, how can Giraffes know political borders. That subspecies originated in Somalia so surely there are some still living in Somalia, especially the Jubba region.

i agree, there are some that enter juba sometimes, but for the most part the Giraffes in somalia have been wiped out, the very few last ones have been hacked to death by terriost groups and locals

Apollo

VIP
Unlikely, Somalia is a big country with a low population density. Aint nobody got time to hunt down every single one of them.

Hemaal

VIP
i agree, there are some that enter juba sometimes, but for the most part the Giraffes in somalia have been wiped out, the very few last ones have been hacked to death by terriost groups and locals

There are few cases like the one which the Elephant named Morgan travelled all the way from Kenya to Somalia but the truth is that Somalia's only wildlife that's left is the antelopes

Apollo

VIP
These animals just follow greenery. You cannot eradicate them. Kenya has many and thus they will keep pouring into Somalia. There is no barrier between Kenya and Somalia.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
When/where did you see giraffes in Somalia?
:wtf:
Why you lying? They long gone
You prolly saw ostriches and thought it was giraffes.

I saw them in cages. CAGES. I was around 6 years old. Long time ago. My uncle wanted me to see something nice in war torn Somalia.

Hemaal

VIP
Unlikely, Somalia is a big country with a low population density. Aint nobody got time to hunt down every single one of them.

It's not even about hunting, We Somalis didn't even like to hunt wildlife, it was seen something a person of a low class (wealth wise) would do! Why hunt when there's plenty of camel meat available.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.

why the f*ck did they kill them?

Status
Not open for further replies.