I have seen many times people claiming Harar to be the fourth holiest city in Islam. Why is this the case?

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
Probably it's early adoption of Islam pushed by the Dir, it became a centre for Islamic scholarship, religious legacy and tombs of saints, and it's important cultural and historical importance, especially for the spread of Islam in the horn.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
It’s a myth made up by travel agencies that work with Ethiopia to get people to visit their country.

It’s a myth made up by travel agencies that work with Ethiopia to get people to visit their country.
This was my first though too. If there was ever s fourth holiest city in islam it would be somewhere like cairo or damascus. Not some small medieval town in the horn.

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
This was my first though too. If there was ever s fourth holiest city in islam it would be somewhere like cairo or damascus. Not some small medieval town in the horn.
Sometimes it's not about being the brightest light in the sky, the oldest stars are usually the dimmest, it's not the present we're looking at but in the past, for 800 years, this city was home to some of the most learned men in the Islamic field, the trade that went through the region brought many riches, the Futah mentions the Muslim forces have several thousand knight fully kitted out in armour and regalia, including horses.

1727132788008.png