I see more Somali men in the gym these days

Next up; stop listening to Madow hair/hairline beauty standards and embrace your natural features. Somali barbershops should feature/hire Somali models and use those images, not of mixed or Niger-congo descendants.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
Anyone else notice these or is it just me
I agree I met 2 somali guys 2 years younger than me in the gym last week, theres lots of somali guys hitting the gym nowdays. Soon the lugo baasto allegations will end with our generation.
1729540350202.jpeg

Khaemwaset

FrΓΌher of the Djibouti Ugaasate πŸ‡©πŸ‡―
VIP
Can’t wait until we beat the allegations
Allegations were dead on arrival lmao. Me and my brother been banging gym for years. All my male cousins are around my age in other countries in Europe and also go gym regularly. It's a stupid stereotype I never took seriously, and nobody every said that to my face I only see it online

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
I don't know too much about the gym, but i heard a few mentions that the lanky build of Somalis primarily just comes from iron deficiencies, due to excessive milk drinking where the calcium/casein in the milk bind with the iron to limit absorption or lack of red meat consumption. It also leads to protein loss in the gut.

The Consequence of Excessive Consumption of Cow’s Milk: Protein-Losing Enteropathy with Anasarca in the Course of Iron Deficiency Anemia

Too much milk can lead to iron deficiency anemia and protein loss from the gut.

Some are quick to ask why are Somalis either shorter and stocky or taller and lanky.

It might just be that the stocky more built Somalis just retain more iron and the lanky ones retain less and sometimes more calcium & maybe milk protein that contribute to their height growth. This confirmed by science studies

Tall and slim go together, genetic study

northern European countries tended on average to be taller and slimmer than other Europeans. He said the genes that resulted in greater height correlated strongly with genes that reduced body mass index.
"This suggests that differences in diet, for example, are more important than genetics in creating differences in BMI among nations."

Northern Europeans are usually the ones who consume a lot of milk and dairy. Countries that are taller is correlated with higher milk consumption
Drinking milk made humans taller - research
Milk consumption drove an increase in human sizes, researchers in the US and Belfast have found.

So it seems pretty obvious to me.

Next up; stop listening to Madow hair/hairline beauty standards and embrace your natural features. Somali barbershops should feature/hire Somali models and use those images, not of mixed niger-congo men.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Not all Somalis have big foreheads, its not a natural feature. I don't have one nor does my siblings and i have seen many Somalis with just normal sized foreheads and normal hairlines. I have also seen many Europeans and other Africans/Black people with big foreheads but they either wear hair styles, hats to take attention away from it. They don't trade mark it the way Somalis do that's the difference.

So i am guessing this also might also be related to iron deficiencies because East Africans like some Kenyans, South Sudanese are tall and slim as well. Habeshas, don't consume much milk, but they don't eat much meat either to supply iron , except on ocassions and just lack protein. I have seen them come out to trade mark themselves with foreheads as well under the umbrella of ''East African'' but i have seen many with normal and small foreheads so that is also odd to me

Now this is different from having a high set hairline, it usually is normal as long as it frames the face. Just to be clear.

So i would tell Somalis limit your milk consumption and up your red meat consumption if you want to be strong robust and healthy. Be more physically active walk or run, don't sit for a long time, we were more physically active that made our bones stronger and more sturdy in the past

Last edited:
Not all Somalis have big foreheads, its not a natural feature. I don't have one nor does my siblings and i have seen many Somalis with just normal sized foreheads and normal hairlines. I have also seen many Europeans and other Africans/Black people with big foreheads but they either wear hair styles, hats to take attention away from it. They don't trade mark it the way Somalis do.

I agree that not all Somalis have this feature, in fact, I've seen Somali guys with average sized foreheads, have it pushed back by barbers with this constant 'lining' up obsession. But you're right, Somali af-wayn are the ones who stereotype themselves, not long ago, they were even making lame videos with moos, like daanyeero. Anything for a cheap laugh.

I don't know too much about the gym, but i heard a few mentions that the lanky build of Somalis primarily just comes from iron deficiencies, due to excessive milk drinking where the calcium/casein in the milk bind with the iron to limit absorption or lack of red meat consumption. It also leads to protein loss in the gut.

The Consequence of Excessive Consumption of Cow’s Milk: Protein-Losing Enteropathy with Anasarca in the Course of Iron Deficiency Anemia

Some are quick to ask why are Somalis either shorter and stocky or taller and lanky.

It might just be that the stocky more built Somalis just retain more iron and the lanky ones retain less and sometimes more calcium & maybe milk protein that contribute to their height growth. This confirmed by science studies

Tall and slim go together, genetic study

Northern Europeans are usually the ones who consume a lot of milk and dairy. Countries that are taller is correlated with higher milk consumption
Drinking milk made humans taller - research

So it seems pretty obvious to me.

Not all Somalis have big foreheads, its not a natural feature. I don't have one nor does my siblings and i have seen many Somalis with just normal sized foreheads and normal hairlines. I have also seen many Europeans and other Africans/Black people with big foreheads but they either wear hair styles, hats to take attention away from it. They don't trade mark it the way Somalis do that's the difference.

So i am guessing this also might also be related to iron deficiencies because East Africans like some Kenyans, South Sudanese are tall and slim as well. Habeshas, don't consume much milk, but they don't eat much meat either to supply iron , except on ocassions and just lack protein. I have seen them come out to trade mark themselves with foreheads as well under the umbrella of ''East African'' but i have seen many with normal and small foreheads so that is also odd to me

Now this is different from having a high set hairline, it usually is normal as long as it frames the face. Just to be clear.

So i would tell Somalis limit your milk consumption and up your red meat consumption if you want to be strong robust and healthy. Be more physically active walk or run, don't sit for a long time, we were more physically active that made our bones stronger and more sturdy in the past
Honestly I think your correct

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
I agree that not all Somalis have this feature, in fact, I've seen Somali guys with average sized foreheads, have it pushed back by barbers with this constant 'lining' up obsession. But you're right, Somali af-wayn are the ones who stereotype themselves, not long ago, they were even making lame videos with moos, like daanyeero. Anything for a cheap laugh.

Somalis are odd in this sense, i would say that South Sudanese and Northern Europeans have higher occurrences of foreheads and pushed back hairlines but they never typecast themselves with it. But like being slim i don't think it's some ethnic specific feature.

Another thing is that you can also start to see it is linked to high milk consumption by the fact that babies live off milk in the first years and have big foreheads, pushed hairlines until it changes as they age which might be because they swop milk with solid foods. Milk spurs growth in the early years.

Anyways what stereotypes are out there is not important, only if Somalis allow it to hinder their own progression . Somalis are better off focusing on improving their health, socio-economic metrics and creating good habits and educating their own. That's how we've always operated.

And before you know it this will all be a thing of the past and that stereotype in 10-20 years from now will be replaced with something else.

Last edited:

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
Somalis are odd in this sense, i would say that South Sudanese and Northern Europeans have higher occurrences of foreheads and pushed back hairlines but they never typecast themselves with it. But like being slim i don't think it's some ethnic specific feature.

Another thing is that you can also start to see it is linked to high milk consumption by the fact that babies live off milk in the first years and have big foreheads, pushed hairlines until it changes as they age which might because they swop milk with solid foods.

Anyways what stereotypes are out there is not important, only if Somalis allow it to hinder their own progression . Somalis are better off focusing on improving their health, socio-economic metrics and creating good habits and educating their own. That's how we've always operated.

And before you know it this will all be a thing of the past and that stereotype in 10-20 years from now will be replaced with something else.

It also important to understand that most people in the western world are obese, or slim fat and have various metabolic disorders. The average white or black westerner is extremely unhealthy.

This why they live through fitness personalities on social media that attract huge followings because of it and have body complexes which they take various drugs and form a gym cultural obsession from it, its important stay away from this cultural trend as a Somali Muslim.

Fitness industry pretty much preys on the health epidemic and peoples insecurities.
This leads them to project stuff onto others and even bully people from what i've seen. And attach to much on body shapes and stuff.

It's better to focus on healthy sustainable habits and that make people productive, flexible and feel better overall and not be overly concerned with keeping outward appearances.

Trending