Is Abd al-Rahman al-Jabarti Somali?

amiirad

Gabar Majeerteen 💙🤍💚
I have been trying to find things on this and I can't find anything of him being Somali? Any History Lovers or Historians know about this?

It says he is Egyptian but comes from a Somali descent?

I have been trying to find things on this and I can't find anything of him being Somali? Any History Lovers or Historians know about this?

His father Hasan Al-Jabarti who was a prominent scientist was also an Egyptian with from Somali descent. Mukhtar Ali mentions him in the ''The Arabic Sources on Somalia'' and his granfather who managed a Riwaq reserved for Somali students.
YCO7z7o.png

A 2 sec search you find a number of books mentioning him being of Somali origin Cairo: A Cultural and Literary History - Page 144 , The State of Social Progress of Islamic Societies: - Page 677, Culture and Customs of Egypt - Page 21 , Great Cairo, Mother of the World - Page 173

His ancestral origins was from Somalia but he was Egyptian born and raised. So people refer to him mostly as Egyptian

Al-Jabartiyah , was what the name given to Somalia or Somali coast and Somalis carried the nisba ''Al-Jabarti' to denote their place of origin.
k4dAN4Y.png

Later on the nisba Al-Jabarti was abandoned for the nisba Al-Sumali and Jabart became pretty much an umbrella name for different Non-Somali Africans, especially in Yemen for example.

Last edited:

His father was apparently from Zeila but he was born in Egypt, he’s Somali by descent. That much is apparent, although admittedly I don’t know that much about his personal upbringing.

No he wasn't as Muslims from the lowlands near Abassinya ( highlands) was called Jeberti

No he wasn't as Muslims from the lowlands near Abassinya ( highlands) was called Jeberti

That's wrong. Thats a minority group that converted to Islam in the late 18th century. And they took on the name not as a nisba (origin) or a regional identity but as a Muslim identity, probably as a result of Yemenis & others who began to apply it as an umbrella term for Muslim Africans. Miniature Empires: A Historical Dictionary of the Newly
A minority, called the Jabarti , are ethnic Tigreans converted to Islam in the eighteenth century .

Historically Jabart was only the Northern Somali coast , Hawd/Galbeed and both Abdal-Rahman in his diariy and in other Arabic writings said it belongs to the region of Zayla. It was not the Highlands at all. Islam et sociétés au sud du Sahara -
Jabart originally meant a region in Zayla ' and Ifât , but was later extended to refer to Ethiopian Muslims in general.

Abdal-Rahman who was born in the mid 1700s, specified his family's place of origin in his personal writings. The Ottoman Empire: A Historical Encyclopedia
Al- Jabarti was born in 1753 or 1754 into an affluent family from al-Jabart, a village near the port of Zayla on the Red Sea. His father, Hassan, was a wealthy businessman who had studied mathematics and astronomy, as well as Turkish and Persian. He also enjoyed a close friendship with the Ottoman authorities and the ruling Mamluk families of the country.

Also the name Jabarti was the name that not only Habeshas and Arabs used refer to Somalis with but also some Oromo's who cut in between the two but continued to use it to call a few of their Southern Somali neighbors in the 20th century. Even though well before that point our regional/ethnic identity had changed to Al-Sumali/Somali among us and the nisba Al-Jabart fell out of use , only to be used by others.

Last edited:
That's wrong. Thats a minority group that converted to Islam in the late 18th century. And they took on the name not as a nisba (origin) or a regional identity but as a Muslim identity, probably as a result of Yemenis & others who began to apply it as an umbrella term for Muslim Africans. Miniature Empires: A Historical Dictionary of the Newly

Historically Jabart was only the Northern Somali coast , Hawd/Galbeed and both Abdal-Rahman in his diariy and in other Arabic writings said it belongs to the region of Zayla. It was not the Highlands at all. Islam et sociétés au sud du Sahara -

Abdal-Rahman who was born in the mid 1700s, specified his family's place of origin in his personal writings. The Ottoman Empire: A Historical Encyclopedia

Also the name Jabarti was the name that not only Habeshas and Arabs used refer to Somalis with but also some Oromo's who cut in between the two but continued to use it to call a few of their Southern Somali neighbors in the 20th century. Even though well before that point our regional/ethnic identity had changed to Al-Sumali/Somali among us and the nisba Al-Jabart fell out of use , only to be used by others.
Wow. I knew the thing about jabarti. But are you telling me these guys only c9nverted to islam in the 1700s ?

Wow. I knew the thing about jabarti. But are you telling me these guys only c9nverted to islam in the 1700s ?

I presume they are a minority among the Muslims there but that's what i read click on the Historical dictionary i linked to it.

Caadi iska dhig waa Soomali oo meliba Darood ayuu ku abtirsada why do some of us always give away our stuff to anyone and everyone?

Al-Jabarti didn't necessarily mean you were from Darood. It was more or less a nisba Somalis wore during the middle ages along with Al-Zayla, and Al-Barawi, Al-Maqdishi , etc it's a regional identity because they called the region Al-Jabartiyyah in Arabic sources. Could be they started to name the region after a dominant clan.

Names/terms change and take on new meaning/application, it's not about giving away stuff. We just need to pay attention to details and be as accurate as possible when discussing them.

Last edited:

Libaax-Joore

Beesha haplogroup e-by8081
VIP
@Bari you have identity problem my friend you are denying ydna well claiming unknown man ismail jabarti 😀 let’s say if u take dna 🧬 of ur son and came out that u are not the father will ur deny the dna say I don’t believe gaalo suugo science

The name Jabarti is not Darood ''Ismail Jabarti'. It was a regional identity, those Somalis who carried the niba in the medieval times could be from any clan.

Trending

Latest posts