is it just us ( my friends here in town ) or you guys are also discussing this

Status
Not open for further replies.

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
last Friday we came together to catch up. We are mainly guys who have been friends for ages now.

We have all agreed that, with a young families, we must settle in more desirable place in the U.S. away from any Somali enclave.

We took out our phones and did several researches. We looked at the unemployment rate, the number of companies
Based there, the land taxes, major sports teams, it there airport an international hub ( it is important because it means you can always find great vacation deals ) living cost, hospitals ( some wives are in the health sector), number of suburbs, fun things to do and how far it is from Somali enclaves ( just so we can visit and get some Halwo)

After all this consideration 2 cities are the overwhelming favorites.

A great place to live and raise family in the U.S and it is ...

CHARLOTTE, NC

And

PORTLAND, OREGON

runner ups were

Louisville, KY ( just go check it out before insulting this place , beyond incredible )

Milwaukee, WI ( underrated but folks who moved there are speaking of a little wintry heaven)

Nashville, TN ( so many universities in a small quarter with a vibrant country Music industry and numerous companies )

Dallas, TX ( no winter ...living cost disbelievable .many things to do)

Lightly considered

Coeur D'alane, ID..( if you are into nature...if you don't want to pay property tax...if you want a great tax relieve..want to raise your children in secluded quite peaceful place)

Long story short we are all planning to explore a life away from the enclaves

My own brother & two first cousins (plus a bunch of other relatives and friends) live in Raleigh, NC. They have been there for more than a decade. Most of them have families and they all work (unlike MN, there is no cayr there). I also know couple of people in Nashville & Memphis, TN. Those two states are actually the only two states in the US that I have been to (plus Virginia for a day) back 8 years ago.

But if I had to decide where to live in the US it would be LA, hands down. I would take my chances with earthquakes & drought but I wouldn't live anywhere else in the US.

:deargod:

menace

VIP
Have yoy considered the rush hours :comeon:

Waxaad ku jirtaa the Hollywood bila macni star struck crap..we talking about raising kids in a controlled environment

We have all agreed that, with a young families, we must settle in more desirable place in the U.S. away from any Somali enclave.
Problem is, each of you isn't gonna keep what you've discovered to yourselves. Word of mouth is gonna spread, and as a result, Somalis will flock to the place(s) you've discovered, and those places become the next Columbus, Minneapolis, Seattle, Virginia, etc.

menace

VIP
Problem is, each of you isn't gonna keep what you've discovered to yourselves. Word of mouth is gonna spread, and as a result, Somalis will flock to the place(s) you've discovered, and those places become the next Columbus, Minneapolis, Seattle, Virginia, etc.

I completely doubt it ...meeshani ceyd ma laha without that variable in no way will they move there ...

Besides ..remember we got 50 states to choose from :damn::damn:

Have yoy considered the rush hours :comeon:

Waxaad ku jirtaa the Hollywood bila macni star struck crap..we talking about raising kids in a controlled environment

I understand you said you want a place where you can raise family but I talked about where I would wanna live if I ever decide to move to the US. For me, I don't wanna have kids so I don't have that family concern personally.

I completely doubt it ...meeshani ceyd ma laha without that variable in no way will they move there ...

Besides ..remember we got 50 states to choose from :damn::damn:
There are many hardworking Somalis; not all are after ceyd. So, expect many Somalis to flock to the next Utopia you and your friends discover.

I've also read that Minneapolis is the most livable city in the United States. Clearly, we already have a large Somali population there---so there's no need to move anywhere.

:denzelnigga:

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
The more I look into Portland, Oregon, the more impressed I am and it'd probably be my #1 place to move to if I ever moved to America.

Reasons

1. Least religious place in USA
2. The house prices are remarkably more affordable than Seattle, San Francisco etc.
3. Progressive politics. The Democratic party and Green Party are the only choices for the locals.
4. All four seasons. I need all my seasons.
5. Portland Timbers. Their soccer culture is very European-esque.
6. It's a relatively small city, and I'm a small city boy. Everytime I spend a weekend in Hamburg or Munich I come home and thank the Lord I don't live in those cities.

Milwaukee is the latest caydh destination saxiib, scratch that off your list.

I was considering SLC for a while but reading the forum at city-data.com dissuaded me (an excellent resource btw).

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
Milwaukee is the latest caydh destination saxiib, scratch that off your list.

I was considering SLC for a while but reading the forum at city-data.com dissuaded me (an excellent resource btw).

What were they saying about SLC?

Sultana

On Hiatus
Portland is great right now, but lots of people from California are moving there because of the drought, which will make the house prices skyrocket.

menace

VIP
I forgot to name the other considered cities...Salt Lake City...Denver...Oklahoma city...Omaha, Nebraska

Besides Portland, Oregon I wouldn't consider anywhere else on that list. WI is okay but if you're going to live that far up north why don't you just live in Minnesota?NC, TN, and KY have long history of racial disparities and all are red states. TX is also a red state but that won't matter if you're living in Dallas or Houston as there are large immigrant populations that and plenty of jobs. Now, with ID, don't let the tax breaks and scenery fool you, it's not very ideal. Most roads there are often shut down in the winter and you'll be stuck in the woods with conservatives armed by the NRA who often don't see blacks and immigrants in person their whole lives. I once drove from Minneapolis to Seattle and I didn't even stop to get fuel in that state, albeit it's only just an hour and a half to get across on the I90. Which brings be back to Portland, Oregon, the only other city in America besides Seattle that I would recommend.

What were they saying about SLC?

Shit about Mormon classes in public schools (not on the property but they have a period where they cross the street to an LDS church), in general non Mormon kids hated growing up there, weaker beer, give it a look if you're interested

menace

VIP
Besides Portland, Oregon I wouldn't consider anywhere else on that list. WI is okay but if you're going to live that far up north why don't you just live in Minnesota?NC, TN, and KY have long history of racial disparities and all are red states. TX is also a red state but that won't matter if you're living in Dallas or Houston as there are large immigrant populations that and plenty of jobs. Now, with ID, don't let the tax breaks and scenery fool you, it's not very ideal. Most roads there are often shut down in the winter and you'll be stuck in the woods with conservatives armed by the NRA who often don't see blacks and immigrants in person their whole lives. I once drove from Minneapolis to Seattle and I didn't even stop to get fuel in that state, albeit it's only just an hour and a half to get across on the I90. Which brings be back to Portland, Oregon, the only other city in America besides Seattle that I would recommend.

Few years ago I drove from Seattle to Calgary. Ilaah baan ku dhaartee that winter landscape was out of this world ( it was during winter). I rented a pickup truck to do this journey. I drove for 12 hours. I went through Spokane, Pullman WA and then drove through the panhandles of Idaho right into the edge of BC and then on to Alta. majority of the time is was on the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Incredible.

Sultana

On Hiatus
SLC is way too white, one of my teachers from high school (who's white himself) felt like it was unnatural. But yeah, if I had to chose, it's either Portland or Dallas. Charlotte would be third.

The much touted Portland, Oregon isn't what it seems to be. According to the link, it has:
-6.0% Unemployment Rate
-Cost of living is too high (125.70 vs 82.10 Columbus, OH)
-Violent Crime/Property Crime is 62.1/63.1 vs 41.4/43.5 national average
-It often is cloudy and rains a lot, which can affect one's health, productivity, psychology, etc
-Cost of studio is $664, 1 bedroom $773, 2 bedroom $920
-77.52% of people are white, 6.47% are black, 7.24% are Asian
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/oregon/portland

The reviews of many who lived there aren't encouraging:
http://www.bestplaces.net/comments/city/oregon/portland

Air quality is subpar, particle pollution 24hr is fail:
http://www.stateoftheair.org/2015/states/oregon/multnomah.html

Status
Not open for further replies.