Is this an Afar knife?

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
I remeber going to djibouti when I was younger and me and my brother got this traditional knife (a fake wood version) . I thought it was somali but I've been searching the Internet about Djiboutian culture and I found out that it is actually Afar.
images (12).jpeg

Yaraye

VIP
I'm confused. I thought dijboutians are a sub group of the somali ethnicity or are they an ethnicity on their own?

Khaemwaset

VIP
I'm confused. I thought dijboutians are a sub group of the somali ethnicity or are they an ethnicity on their own?
Djibouti is a colonial invention.
We are majority Somali but have a large afar minority that is about 30% of the population. I'm ciise somali and we are the majority there (right?)

There is no Djiboutian ethnicity or language. We are just a country made up of primarily Somali and Afar who got put into one country because of colonial borders. We somalis in Djibouti tried to join somalia straight after independence in 1977 but France rigged the elections by blocking somalis from voting and deporting them whilst bringing in afars from Ethiopia to vote becuase the afars are pro French which is why in 1967 we tried voting but remained a part of France thanks to the afar vote.

Yaraye

VIP
We are majority Somali but have a large afar minority that is about 30% of the population. I'm ciise somali and we are the majority there (right?)

There is no Djiboutian ethnicity or language. We are just a country made up of primarily Somali and Afar who got put into one country because of colonial borders. We somalis in Djibouti tried to join somalia straight after independence in 1977 but France rigged the elections by blocking somalis from voting and deporting them whilst bringing in afars from Ethiopia to vote becuase the afars are pro French which is why in 1967 we tried voting but remained a part of France thanks to the afar vote.
so djibouti is a country invented by france and made up of 2 ethnicities (somali / afar) who are originally from 3 other countries (somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea)? when did dijbouti form? and whose land was it originally?

Khaemwaset

VIP
Djbouti was called French somaliland prior
Yes it was French Somaliland but some time after we were forced to stay with France due to an election forced by the rise of Somali nationalism.
France changed our name to french territory of afar and issa. They named us by our clan so we would feel distinct from other somalis and wouldn't fight the french government however we were still nationalists and with the help from Somalia proper we managed to gain independence

CALMONE20###

Roots in Somaliland + Somali Region ✝️
Yes it was French Somaliland but some time after we were forced to stay with France due to an election forced by the rise of Somali nationalism.
France changed our name to french territory of afar and issa. They named us by our clan so we would feel distinct from other somalis and wouldn't fight the french government however we were still nationalists and with the help from Somalia proper we managed to gain independence
Xaasidsanaa faransiiska. Yurub ha burburto

Khaemwaset

VIP
so djibouti is a country invented by france and made up of 2 ethnicities (somali / afar) who are originally from 3 other countries (somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea)? when did dijbouti form? and whose land was it originally?
Djibouti is French Somaliland.
No different to Italian somaliland and British somaliland. We just never got incorporated into somalia because of French interference and afars
20230408_193404.jpg

CALMONE20###

Djibouti is French Somaliland.
No different to Italian somaliland and British somaliland. We just never got incorporated into somalia because of French interference and afarsView attachment 272865
Yes you guys were a part of us (somaliland). France messed up many other African Muslim countries. I couldn't blame Malians for stepping on the french flag during their protest last year.

CALMONE20###

It boggles my mind how Afars are pro French. Why?

CALMONE20###

was the entire Northern part of somalia (somaliland) split between italy, UK, and france?
Britain colonised somaliland. Djibouti used to be a part of somaliland too. Italy colonised somalilamd for a little bit from 1936-1941.

Yaraye

VIP
Britain colonised somaliland. Djibouti used to be a part of somaliland too. Italy colonised somalilamd for a little bit from 1936-1941.
so was somaliland split between all three countries at the same time, or did they colonize somaliland one at a time during different periods in history?

Djibouti belongs to Somalis, the majority of Afar were brought in by the French to rig the 1958 referendum preventing then French Somaliland from joining the soon to be created Somali republic.

CALMONE20###

so was somaliland split between all three countries at the same time, or did they colonize somaliland one at a time during different periods in history?
With french colonisation french SL became Djibouti the italians only colonised SL for a few years during 1936-1941. The brits colonised SL from the late 19th century until the early 60s. Overall,our main coloniser was Britain, as Djibouti had already become its own country during french colonisation. Hope this made sense.

Khaemwaset

VIP
It boggles my mind how Afars are pro French. Why?
They are pro French I'm guessing because they feared that we Ciise would immediately annex ourselves into somalia where they would become a tiny minority which is correct because we are and were somali nationalists. I guess the saw staying with France as their only option of maintaining a voice and not being swallowed up by Somalis.

CALMONE20###

They are pro French I'm guessing because they feared that we Ciise would immediately annex ourselves into somalia where they would become a tiny minority which is correct because we are and were somali nationalists. I guess the saw staying with France as their only option of maintaining a voice and not being swallowed up by Somalis.
That's refreshing to hear ,as the few Djibouti somalis I've come across say "I no somali I speak French,I'm Djiboutian". It's funny.

Khaemwaset

VIP
That's refreshing to hear ,as the few Djibouti somalis I've come across say "I no somali I speak French,I'm Djiboutian". It's funny.
Lol they are an embarrassment. We still consider ourselves Somalis, we still know we are a seperate country of course but we are still proud of our somali identity and would join somalia in a heartbeat if it got its shit together