Khat dealer given 18-year prison sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
:jcoleno:

Cotdamn that is a long sentence. Don't sell or do drugs folks.

BLOOMINGTON — A Minnesota man was sentenced to 18 years in prison Friday for delivery of khat, a plant material considered illegal in the U.S. but widely accepted in the defendant's native Somalia.

Mohamed O. Samantar, 60, was stopped by Illinois State Police in June 2015 on Interstate 55 near the Interstate 39 interchange. A search of the rented minivan driven by a second suspect, Awil Aden, turned up 150 pounds of the substance, which is deemed illegal for its cathinone ingredient. Aden pleaded guilty in September to possessing a controlled substance and received 24 months of probation.

With a translator at his side to repeat what was said at his sentencing hearing, Samantar took the opportunity offered by Judge Paul Lawrence to make a statement. Saying he did not agree with the outcome of the bench trial in August, Samantar asked for leniency from the judge.

Defense lawyer Todd Ringel asked for a 12-year sentence, the minimum term available for the Class X felony carrying a maximum of 60 years.

Samantar fled Somalia because of civil war, said Ringel, "and came to the U.S. in an attempt to make a better life for himself."

Ranked on par with heroin and cocaine by U.S. lawmakers, khat leaves are chewed by students and mixed for tea by men in Somalian cafes, said Ringel.

"It's basically our version of happy hour," said the defense lawyer.

Assistant State's Attorney Erika Reynolds sought a 30-year sentence for Samantar, arguing that the van load of drugs with a street value of $30,000 merited more than a minimum sentence. The prosecutor also pointed out Samantar's previous khat conviction in Iowa and his admissions to police that he was returning from a trip to Georgia where he picked up the drugs.

Samantar wanted to buy more khat but he was short on money, said Reynolds.

The defendant must serve 75 percent of the sentence and pay a $36,000 street value fine.

In his ruling, Lawrence considered Samantar's history as a refugee from a war-torn country and his cooperation with police. But at 60 years old with a prior conviction for possessing khat, Samantar should have known better, said the judge.

VixR

Veritas
We just need to get these white kids on khat. Once they find out their kids will go to jail they'll legalize it ASAP.

@VixR I'm counting on you. :yousmart:
BREAKING NEWS: A suburban female was arrested for the possession and distribution of an exotic plant called "kKHhhat" with the full intention of getting the local community hooked on the substance. Due to serve 18 years, she sorrowfully relayed how she got the idea from a vile, trolling site by the name of Somalispot where users emphatically urged her efforts on, particularly a co-conspirator police are currently tracking down in Canada by the screen name @merk---...

BREAKING NEWS: A suburban female was arrested for the possession and distribution of an exotic plant called "kKHhhat" with the full intention of getting the local community hooked on the substance. Due to serve 18 years, she sorrowfully relayed how she got the idea from a vile, trolling site by the name of Somalispot where users emphatically urged her efforts on, particularly a co-conspirator police are currently tracking down in Canada by the screen name @merk---...
:dead:

I was going to bring you to Canada so that you can be my drug mule. Snitch :pacspit:

Nin xun

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Selling khat in the suburbs could work you know. You focus on soccer moms, they're bored and are sitting on their husbands income. You tell them it's a drug from Somalia, where tribes there use it to reach a new level of conciousness and also you make sure that they pronouce it right, white people like being told to pronouce things right because it makes them feel more authentic. Also add some yoga and meditation while you're at it and you'll be rolling in dough.
:hemad:

VixR

Veritas
y:dead:

I was going to bring you to Canada so that you can be my drug mule. Snitch :pacspit:
:mjlol:I'm not a trap queen.
And I'm not a snitch :pacspit:Wallahi I only hinted at them the first four letters for a lighter sentence, the mofos were resourceful with the rest of it:icon lol:

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
leaves are chewed by students and mixed for tea by men in Somalian cafes, said Ringel.

:mindblown:

a 60 year old Somali driving around in a minivan living it up breaking bad style

:mjlaugh:

VixR

Veritas
Selling khat in the suburbs could work you know. You focus on soccer moms, they're bored and are sitting on their husbands income. You tell them it's a drug from Somalia, where tribes there use it to reach a new level of conciousness and also you make sure that they pronouce it right, white people like being told to pronouce things right because it makes them feel more authentic. Also add some yoga and meditation while you're at it and you'll be rolling in dough.
You could be onto something :mjlol:
:ohhh:

There may be hope for you yet
Snitching is street culture everyone pretends to avoid, but engages in when caught. In the burbs, we're coded, we hint and infer things:icon lol:

:mjlol:I'm not a trap queen.
And I'm not a snitch :pacspit:Wallahi I only hinted at them the first four letters for a lighter sentence, the mofos were resourceful with the rest of it:icon lol:
Four letters... might as well give them my address. :jcoleno:

And here I thought you had potential to be my trap queen. :francis:

giphy.gif

The future is bright my friend. :rejoice:

sax, the idiot should've known better.
if he wanted to sell khat why not do it in Somalia, why spread the garbage elsewhere.

why do Somalis spread the same garbage that made out country a mess to the rest of the world. if you travel to the other side of the world for a better life, then broaden your horizon and take advantage of the countless available opportunities instead of doing the same shit you could,ve done in Somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts