Khat Power: The Latest War On Drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maryam

Glad Khat is banned in Europe there were so many Somali unemployed crack head men back in the day with families they used to chew mid day in the Shisha bars

Apollo

VIP
Khat is terrible for the economy. It makes the most productive segment of society (adult men) highly unproductive. Khat alone can explain a quarter of why the Horn + Yemen is dirt poor. Shit needs to be banned.

VixR

Veritas
Chewing khat gives you a buzz like drinking strong coffee, it's very harmless.
Then why don't they sit around drink said strong tea/coffee, if it has the same effects? Your attempting to reduce it to coffee and tea smh.

Khat is to Somalis as Kava is to Pacific Islanders; a destructive substance.

Then why don't they sit around drink said strong tea/coffee, if it has the same effects? Your attempting to reduce it to coffee and tea smh.

Khat is to Somalis as Kava is to Pacific Islanders; a destructive substance.
It's cultural, we've been chewing khat for thousands of years. Just like people here go to a cafe to socialize, Somalis spend their recreation time chewing khat.

It's one of the least harmful drugs that you can take.

1000px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_(mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence).svg.png

Apollo

VIP
@merka

Appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy.

Appeal to tradition (also known as argumentum ad antiquitatem, appeal to antiquity, or appeal to common practice) is a common fallacy in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it is correlated with some past or present tradition. The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

VixR

Veritas
@merka

Appeal to tradition (also known as argumentum ad antiquitatem, appeal to antiquity, or appeal to common practice) is a common fallacy in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it is correlated with some past or present tradition. The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way."

This sums up the barrage of words I was typing.

@merka

I was answering her question on why Somalis chew instead of drinking tea/coffee. Look at the chart I posted, khat is the weakest drug that you can take.

In 1980, the WHO classified the plant as a drug of abuse that can produce mild to moderate psychological dependence (less than tobacco or alcohol), although the WHO does not consider khat to be seriously addictive.

Apollo

VIP
European/White men don't drink loads of alcohol in the middle of a working day and get drunk like madmen in the afternoon. Men in the Horn & Yemen chew Khat like there's no tomorrow and are totally unmotivated to work. I personally suspect Khat to have a stronger negative economic effect than alcohol.

I would ban Khat over Alcohol.

European/White men don't drink loads of alcohol in the middle of a working day and get drunk like madmen in the afternoon. Men in the Horn & Yemen chew Khat like there's no tomorrow and are totally unmotivated to work. I personally suspect Khat to have a stronger negative economic effect than alcohol.

I would ban Khat over Alcohol.
The problem is with job opportunities not khat. When there's no jobs they will obviously spend their time chewing.

Look at ghettos in the west and you'll see alcoholism when people have no jobs.

Apollo

VIP
The problem is with job opportunities not khat. When there's no jobs they will obviously spend their time chewing.

Look at ghettos in the west and you'll see alcoholism when people have no jobs.

There's always shit to do. Participating in voluntary work is also work.

Protestant work ethic + capitalism is what made the West so rich. Somalis lack that work ethic and I suspect Khat has a big part to do with that.

Apollo

VIP
Khat also makes no economic sense from Somaliland's government perspective. 10% or whatever of the country's annual income just goes to Ethiopia or Kenya with little in return.

It's a mass subsidy to foreign farmers.

Something is wrong with that shit. Men sitting and chewing khatt for hours. It has a negative effect on the somali community.The first I saw people chewing it had me like :susp:

Khat also makes no economic sense from Somaliland's government perspective. 10% or whatever of the country's annual income just goes to Ethiopia or Kenya with little in return.

It's a mass subsidy to foreign farmers.
The khat trade creates lots of jobs for Somalis. They are grown by foreign farmers but the exporting and distribution is all done by Somalis.

The ones who sell it are mostly single mothers. Would you want them to not be able to afford feeding their children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending