Light skinned Somalis

Emir of Zayla

π•Ήπ–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“ 𝖔𝖋 π•»π–”π–Šπ–™π–˜
I've been arguing with someone online over how Somalis look and I hate the misconception that Somalis all look the same. I told them Somalis come in a variety of skin tones and hair types and they insist that 90% of Somalis are all very dark skinned with curly hair and the only light ones are Reer Xamar. Does anyone have pictures of lighter skinned Somalis? Not trying to turn this into a colorism thread but I want to highlight the diversity of appearances of Somalis. I myself am dark skinned but my hoyoo is light skinned herself. I'm sure many here also have family members that are a mix of dark and light skinned as well
True, Somalis come in diverse complexions like mariin reddish-brown, cad lightskin/olive, and black.

Bari

Garabsare
Why are all these ajnabi looking Somalis majerteen lmao I can’t be the only one who noticed this trend
These guys are all full blooded Somalis from North East Somalia(Bari/Sanaag),grew up and lived there and still retain a light/reddish tone. We do have naturally lightskin Somalis and its more common in kids with both parents being lightskin. Jawahir is also from the Same region, Iskushuban Bari Somalia
1725798665700.png

1725799065666.png

1725799286603.png

World

VIP
If she is an ethnic Somali, she does have a Somali phenotype. Anyone who is Somali, has a Somali phenotype. Unless you are mixed, which she is not.
@World

Somali features are complicated. Not every ethnic Somalis looks the same. Some Somalis can pass as any ethnic groups in the world. But at the same times maintain the Somalis features. The reason why you consider her an outlier is because she doesn’t fit in with the sub-Saharan appearances. She looks mixed because she’s light. You’ve subscribed to the sub-Saharan ideal. If Somalis had the same world wide market value as the white people. You wouldn’t question her Somali identity.
I would say it’s rare to find a somali that looks like her. It’s not necessarily her skin tone but her facial features, she would look like a european woman if she was white.

I would say it’s rare to find a somali that looks like her. It’s not necessarily her skin tone but her facial features, she would look like a european woman if she was white.
European? She looks more Middle Eastern and you could say the same for a lot of Somalis. We are just dark skinned caucasians for the most part
gettyimages-80989773-612x612.jpg

gettyimages-51361995-1024x1024.jpg

1618825641675.jpg

Small eyes
button nose
small lips
Small forehead

All come in Somali features.

It's just how her features came together that can throw some people off.

We tend to forget that we have different experiences. I've seen such a huge variety of Somali women in my life. I've seen one that looks South Sudanese walahi, with very long hair down her back. Varieties of skintones, features, you name it. I am not shocked by anything. We underestimate our ethnic group's variety.

Let's agree to disagree

The danger is, that we 'otherise' features that we are not familiar with. We have to accept that our features are more diverse than we give credit to;

High forehead- more common
Small forehead- less common but normal

Small nose- common
Slightly wider nose- rare, but normal

Maariin/Dark-more common
Light skin- normal, not as frequent

Full lips- common
Smaller lips- also common

Almond eyes- common
Small eyes- less common

3A to 3C hair- most common
Type 2 hair- normal
Type 4B + hair- rare

Now, imagine that each Somali carries the genes for these features, and blend it. You can end up with someone who has for example;

Small eyes
slightly wider nose at the tip
4B hair

Does that mean this person is not Somali? Or that these features aren't Somali?

Come on guys.

rayxn3

πŸ§šβ€β™€οΈ
Whats wrong with them thinking most somalis are dark skin? The dark 1s are way more then the lightskins.
Well 1. It’s not true and 2. They use it to stereotype us.

They literally tell light skin Somalis that they can’t be Somali because of their skin tone. Ajnabis (mainly mathows) also lie and say the differences between habeshas and Somalis is that they’re all light skin and Somalis are all dark when we know it’s not true

Jawahir looks Somali to me. She obviously doesn’t look like a typical Somali but her phenotype is in the range of what a Somali/horner looks like.

I find this forum strange. They’re the first to think light skin or Somalis that might not look very typical don’t look Somali straight up.

Jawahir looks Somali to me. She obviously doesn’t look like a typical Somali but her phenotype is in the range of what a Somali/horner looks like.

I find this forum strange. They’re the first to think light skin or Somalis that might not look very typical don’t look Somali straight up.

She married a guy (maybe D&M), who looks similar to her father, her children will also be called 'Non-Somali' looking.

:dead:

Ultimately, we all have different experiences of people we've seen. Many of us are diaspora raised. Many of you probably haven't gone to mixed weddings, and even those aren't attended by enough Somali women to give you real insight into our true diversity.

Whenever you see a 'different' looking Somali, at least don't join in on the chorus of 'you aren't Somali' nonsense.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Jawahir looks pretty Somali, it might just be the lack of hijab that throws people off.

Isaaqs and Darood (especially people from Somaliland and Puntland decent) are the only light skin ethnic Somalis where they’re mostly visible. Still a minority but they exist more than the southern Somalis. But this doesn’t change the fact we’re a minority compare to the dark skin Somalis. But we exist.
I don’t think there’s a higher ratio of light skins in the northern regions compared to the south.

Trending

Latest posts