List of Somali Diaspora cities and their Somali Population

Diaspora is much smaller than I thought. We don't even top 2% of total population in each city we live in, except for St. Cloud at a humble 5%.

Last edited:

AbdiFreedom

Scientologist | Against Trudeau's antiBlack racism
Staff Member
I actually emailed the government a few months ago to give me data on how many people from Somalia and Djibouti ended up getting permanent residency and citizenship from the first year ever of recorded data to 2023. Our population is definently shrinking but those numbers are low. 70,000 Somalis entered Canada up until the 1990s. 55,000 between 1988 and 1996. 90% refugee acceptance rate between 1990-1993; 57% in 2015.

Where is Germany? There are many in Berlin and Munich
That and the Netherlands, apparently we're the largest African diaspora in the Netherlands

1710489225726.png

I actually emailed the government a few months ago to give me data on how many people from Somalia and Djibouti ended up getting permanent residency and citizenship from the first year ever of recorded data to 2023. Our population is definently shrinking but those numbers are low. 70,000 Somalis entered Canada up until the 1990s. 55,000 between 1988 and 1996. 90% refugee acceptance rate between 1990-1993; 57% in 2015.
Toronto easily has 80k somalis

That and the Netherlands, apparently we're the largest African diaspora in the Netherlands

View attachment 320317
The largest Black African nationality in the Netherlands is Somalis, though the Moroccan community is significantly larger.

Additionally Somalis are spread across the country, including in villages, not just concentrated in cities. It's thought that only in cities like Rotterdam and Tilburg might the Somali population reach around 5,000.

Trouble with the data:
  • Minneapolis population is under half a million, and St Paul is just over a quarter of million, and even if one accounts for the metro area incl. 5 cities with the highest population, it is under a million.
  • London metro is approx. ~20 million.

Trending

Latest posts