Locust plague and Famine the cause of medieval collapse of the sultanates?

The two most prominent explanations given for the collapse is Oromo expansion and Portuguese maritime disturbance, both don't seem like very convincing explanations.

I am extremely doubtful of the Oromo invasion argument, firstly the portuguese noted that Awdalites weren't weakened by the war or loss of Gragn and were easily equipped to defend their territory. Heck Emir Nur carried it on, dubbed the second conqueror. And you can see consecutive Emirs of Awsa and Harar do punitive successful expeditions against them pushing them away , even Ugas Malik of Gadabursi in 1576 is recorded to land defeats against them

Same with the Portuguese bombing/disturbance argument, for one most of the army was away on conquest left the northern coast unguarded and the remaining stationed navy deviated to defend mecca and jeddah, so you have a mention of a famous Zayla Admiral partaking to defend it. When they sailed around Mogadishu much like Mecca/jeddah it was heavily guarded and didn't even bother initially. Even the places they did raze, like Barawa , the natives that deserted came back and quickly rebuilt the city and went back to activity, so how can that explain a collapse?

The Portuguese utterly failed to establish any dominion in the red sea. So how are they explaining that as a cause for Awdals collapse? Heck they couldn't even help Ethiopians in establishing a base on the coast so they continued to be landlocked and any time they landed on the Somali coast they got butchered.

A good study on their failure:
Conquistadores, Mercenaries, and Missionaries: The Failed Portuguese Dominion of the Red Sea

One interesting theme i noticed that is consistent and logically explains it is the famine and plague that are told in Southern/North West Somali traditions,
aExdZCz.png

An Introduction to the Economic History of Ethiopia,

A three years ' famine fol- lowed and was accompanied by an epidemic which carried off large numbers of persons , among them the Emir Nur .

local awdalite chronicles speak of it also during Emir Nur's time you are probably familiar with it which also probably reduced Harars population to the same number and then i saw someoene share this Arabic source mention it

If you are confused about ''Al-Mujahid'' , its what the Ottomans like Salman Reis called Awdalites who are conducting jihad against the christians. He calls Zayla this in another paragraph i shared before, but it nonetheless confirms whats known in local sources and traditions.
speaks of janasir and dakar and other places of the lands al-mujahid as being affliced by plague

Arabian Studies - Volum 4 -

Although the sources don't mention Locust, it's most the likely the cause of a massive locust swarm, because they mention plague and famine together.
Locusts have formed plagues since prehistory. The ancient Egyptians carved them on their tombs and the insects are mentioned in the Iliad, the Mahabharata, the Bible and Quran. Swarms have devastated crops and have caused famines and human migrations.

4 years back the locust spread happened across East Africa and impacted Somalia.
Somalia has declared a national emergency as large swarms of locusts spread across east Africa. The country's Ministry of Agriculture said the insects, which consume large amounts of vegetation, posed "a major threat to Somalia's fragile food security situation".

To me this explanation sounds the most logical. It could be a combination of all of the above reasons but this being the most significant reason. @Emir of Zayla @Midas @NidarNidar @Step a side

Last edited:
Yeah this is what I was sort of talking about . I finally found the podcast that talked about how climate change been 1600-1800 impoverished an area the author calls the "red sea littoral

And this is is the podcast

Great i'll take a listen. The climate in northern western Somali coast has been described the same throughout the medieval period, heck it's been called Jabarta(burning country) for that reason which is another name for Guban plains which we still call it today.

But who knows it might have taken a nose dive, he might have some information on the famine and plague as well.

I saw something about North-East being affected by droughts, and this coincided with the weakening of our Sultanate. I'll post link if I see it again.

Drought and famine are two seperate things. Drought is a period of drynness and lack rainfall, it might contribute to famine which is lack of water and food, its not the direct cause most often. Since they had ways to mitigate against it, irrigation/water transport, storage systems, trade etc.

So famines are essentially man made in most cases , and result of poor management.

The North East largely survived the collapse sem-intact only it's interior urban economy didn't because it was connected to Awdal. Bari morphed into a hybrid system combining traditional governance with islamic state model of governance, there was fragmentation split Warsan/Dhuloo for example when they were all under 1 leadership. In the past it was most likely a fully Islamic state the way North Western and South Central systems are described and how it was later on with Hobyo .

Last edited:

Emir of Zayla

π•Ήπ–†π–™π–Žπ–”π–“ 𝖔𝖋 π•»π–”π–Šπ–™π–˜
The two most prominent explanations given for the collapse is Oromo expansion and Portuguese maritime disturbance, both don't seem like very convincing explanations.

I am extremely doubtful of the Oromo invasion argument, firstly the portuguese noted that Awdalites weren't weakened by the war or loss of Gragn and were easily equipped to defend their territory. Heck Emir Nur carried it on, dubbed the second conqueror. And you can see consecutive Emirs of Awsa and Harar do punitive successful expeditions against them pushing them away , even Ugas Malik of Gadabursi in 1576 is recorded to land defeats against them

Same with the Portuguese bombing/disturbance argument, for one most of the army was away on conquest left the northern coast unguarded and the remaining stationed navy deviated to defend mecca and jeddah, so you have a mention of a famous Zayla Admiral partaking to defend it. When they sailed around Mogadishu much like Mecca/jeddah it was heavily guarded and didn't even bother initially. Even the places they did raze, like Barawa , the natives that deserted came back and quickly rebuilt the city and went back to activity, so how can that explain a collapse?

The Portuguese utterly failed to establish any dominion in the red sea. So how are they explaining that as a cause for Awdals collapse? Heck they couldn't even help Ethiopians in establishing a base on the coast so they continued to be landlocked and any time they landed on the Somali coast they got butchered.

A good study on their failure:
Conquistadores, Mercenaries, and Missionaries: The Failed Portuguese Dominion of the Red Sea

One interesting theme i noticed that is consistent and logically explains it is the famine and plague that are told in Southern/North West Somali traditions,
aExdZCz.png

An Introduction to the Economic History of Ethiopia,

local awdalite chronicles speak of it also during Emir Nur's time you are probably familiar with it which also probably reduced Harars population to the same number and then i saw someoene share this Arabic source mention it

If you are confused about ''Al-Mujahid'' , its what the Ottomans like Salman Reis called Awdalites who are conducting jihad against the christians. He calls Zayla this in another paragraph i shared before, but it nonetheless confirms whats known in local sources and traditions.

Arabian Studies - Volum 4 -

Although the sources don't mention Locust, it's most the likely the cause of a massive locust swarm, because they mention plague and famine together.

4 years back the locust spread happened across East Africa and impacted Somalia.

To me this explanation sounds the most logical. It could be a combination of all of the above reasons but this being the most significant reason. @Emir of Zayla @Midas @NidarNidar @Step a side
I think the Somali-Portuguese conflicts had the greatest impact on us. The Oromo migrations may have reached Bali and Hararghe but they were stopped from going any further by great fortifications and the Somali armies. Meanwhile the Portuguese had warred against us from Mogadishu to Zeila. To give you an idea of how big the impact was, Hafun alone was greater than Aden in trade and commerce before the Portuguese sacked it, forget about metropolises like Mogadishu or Zeila.
Screenshot_20240221-164213_X.jpeg

I think the Somali-Portuguese conflicts had the greatest impact on us. The Oromo migrations may have reached Bali and Hararghe but they were stopped from going any further by great fortifications and the Somali armies. Meanwhile the Portuguese had warred against us from Mogadishu to Zeila. To give you an idea of how big the impact was, Hafun alone was greater than Aden in trade and commerce before the Portuguese sacked it, forget about metropolises like Mogadishu or Zeila.View attachment 343227

This is Hafun being spoken of? That's mind boggling