Manshalah, the umah was better...

Im starting to believe that the notion that as time we somalis have fallen off from the deen is mostly false, more like these people decided to become more religious as they grew up

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Im starting to believe that the notion that as time we somalis have fallen off from the deen is mostly false, more like these people decided to become more religious as they grew up
My hooyo told me that in Scandinavia, back in the late 80s to early-mid 90s, Somalis used to go to the bar or go clubbing on the weekends and drink alcohol. It's like they became religious overnight or something:faysalwtf:(not that it's a bad thing or anything kk)

My hooyo told me that in Scandinavia, back in the late 80s to early-mid 90s, Somalis used to go to the bar or go clubbing on the weekends and drink alcohol. It's like they became religious overnight or something:faysalwtf:(not that it's a bad thing or anything kk)
What do you think made them change? :cosbyhmm:

I have older relatives that used to go to discos and bars in Xamar before the war.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

100%. The number of aunties I've seen who are so hard-line about their daughters here in the Khaleej being Abaya wearing mutawa3 friendly girls when they used to, according to my mother, be knee-length skirt and open hair sporting girls back in the day is alarming. Religious conservatism in general increased among Somalis over-time if you even look at our ancestors a century ago. A woman being dressed like this in any current Somali town would be scandalous when it was the norm in the 1800s:

OYP5FVJ.jpg

I can already picture a hyper-ventilating adheer popping out of a corner in a modern suuq and covering her shoulders for her.

100%. The number of aunties I've seen who are so hard-line about their daughters here in the Khaleej being Abaya wearing mutawa3 friendly girls when they used to, according to my mother, be knee-length skirt and open hair totting girls back in the day is alarming. Religious conservatism in general increased among Somalis over-time if you even look at our ancestors a century ago. A woman being dressed like this in any current Somali town would be scandalous when it was the norm in the 1800s:

OYP5FVJ.jpg

I can already picture a hyper-ventilating adheer popping out of a corner in a modern suuq and covering her shoulders for her.
Great that we became more religious though the attitudes on it need to change and cool down a bit :whoa:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
What do you think made them change? :cosbyhmm:
Oh, my bad I missed this post, didn't get a notification for it.

I think all the religious seminars(muctamar) that were held back-to-back, back in the 90s and early 00s changed our parents' mindset. From what I heard these muctamars were pretty huge in the Somali diaspora, they would address anything from the situation back home to diinta.

Somalis back then genuinely, believed that they would reside in the West for a short-term and then pack their bags and go home as soon as the civil war is over, but alas that was never the case. 30 years later, and we're still going strong.
It's pretty tragic when you think about it, but it is what it is.

Boogie

Islam wins doesnt take Ls Long Live Somalia 🇸🇴
The UK is horrible alhamdullah my parents didn't migrate there its like if u paint a small toy and tell someone to eat it