My name is Toby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator

This is from Roots 2016, a 4 part mini-series. Best I've seen in a month.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
We don't need to get sociological and all, it's just a good TV show. This clip exemplifies that people have to accept their position. "I'm Kunte Kinte". No. I don't think so.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
We don't need to get sociological and all, it's just a good TV show. This clip exemplifies that people have to accept their position. "I'm Kunte Kinte". No. I don't think so.
Is that what you got from this?
Seems like a bit of a cynical moral to glean from a brutal scene like this.

images (1).jpg

When I came to AMERICA, I was ignorant of this history so it easily came to me to look down and blame blacks for everything that went wrong with their community. Once I got educated on the history though, all I could see in America was a descendant of a slave and descendant of a slave owner, or a descendant of someone who robbed an Indian of their land. Now I run into people who potentially voted for trump in the streets pretending to be Normal human beings. This country is ugly when ignorance rules.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
What's that mean?
What I meant was that it's such an emotional and brutal scene, and it seems a little off that the lesson you think that scene is teaching is "Everyone should know their place". Seems a little jaded and cynical.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
What I meant was that it's such an emotional and brutal scene, and it seems a little off that the lesson you think that scene is teaching is "Everyone should know their place". Seems a little jaded and cynical.
No I said position.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
No I said position.
Same concept. I assume a show like this would advocate the opposite position; to teach that when you don't have your lot in life you fight for it. That is what the slaves themselves did back in the day, they rebelled and fought as much as they humanly could. Many just subjected themselves to that punishment and lost hope, effectively doing what you said. They know their "position". And that's a real sad way to live, I think.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
Same concept. I assume a show like this would advocate the opposite position; to teach that when you don't have your lot in life you fight for it. That is what the slaves themselves did back in the day, they rebelled and fought as much as they humanly could. Many just subjected themselves to that punishment and lost hope, effectively doing what you said. They know their "position". And that's a real sad way to live, I think.
Yeah you are right that's very sad but I'm not a slave so I'm only giving my POV. I'm thinking of myself in that position I would tell him my name is Kaleel once maybe twice if I'm cheeky then I'd stop. That's why I never understood people being tortured in Guantanamo for instance. I mean they clearly want you to tell them what they want to hear so go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.