Northern Somalis from the 19–20th century

Hamzza

VIP
Do you have any close up pics of faces like the OPs. You can’t tell with features with those pictures.
a18a0b7d23d3d8eb81b188771c30be33.jpg
ebe5f7cdf66f42dcd671b0188a4ca7e9.jpg
FB_IMG_16764801105842420.jpg

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
A lot of our dhaqan has died. Most if not all have long hair, yet my mum is always going in on my bro for his long hair and they act like it’s the worst thing even though I wager my own grandfather and his father had long hair in their youth.

It’s strange. When I look at pictures and read about Somalis of old, they seem entirely unrecognizable but at the same time exactly the same. I felt that way when I read Burton. In some instances they were very familiar and in many ways alien. So much has changed, even our own ayeeyo’s childhood would feel foreign to modern day Somalis back home.
So much seems to have been lost, its shocking. Us somalis take pride in our forefathers, you would think we would know how they lived. Its not even ancient knowledge we lost, a lot have been lost in the past 60 years. 60 years ago the nomads use to dress in the traditional white cloth but now everyone has macawiis and a shaati. Very weird.
not even from times of colonialism but

Can tell this a bunch off diaspora kid who never gone back and visited badiiyo nomad folks. They all look healthy and strong just the city folks who eat too much pasta meanwhile rer badiiyo eat alot soor cambuulo xiliib and drink alot caano gel. The diaspora however are all skinny or skinnyfat both genders need to relax with the boor and eat healthy.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Uma maleeynaayo wax qalad ah in aan sameeyay, walaal...

..I just think that they resemble some people I've seen in Nilo-Saharan groups from Chad to Darfur

:manny:
Im just fucking with you sxb

Also whats make them look nilo-saharan to you? For me they look very somali/cushitic.

At least someone can see where I’m coming from. Saying Bantu was wrong, but there is something non Somali looking about some of them.

I (probably mistakenly) pride myself on my ability to pick out African ethnic groups, and I would never have guessed that they were Somali; to be fair, I've only ever interacted with diaspora Somalis

Im just fucking with you sxb

Also whats make them look nilo-saharan to you? For me they look very somali/cushitic.

You're chill, bro so I thought perhaps you were only half joking

The nose, lips and eyes on those people look somewhat Nilo-Saharan to me

I (probably mistakenly) pride myself on my ability to pick out African ethnic groups, and I would never have guessed that they were Somali; to be fair, I've only ever interacted with diaspora Somalis

You're chill, bro so I thought perhaps you were only half joking

The nose, lips and eyes on those people look somewhat Nilo-Saharan to me
Yes, I too feel as though some look very Nilo Saharan. Shouldn’t be too shocking as even today some Somalis today have a Nilotic look although not as common. Our ancestors were also Proto-Nilotics anyways, but the pictures of Southern Somalis (the non Bantus) look like modern day Somalis.

Trending

Latest posts