Northern Somalis from the 19–20th century

Yusuf Abdi Ali Rashid

King of Prussia
I want to grow out my hair like him, but sadly i was born with a prussian chin.
1676498207767.png

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
Source? I doubt they are all Issaq, Issaq numbers have always been inflated due to British bias. Harti, Dir, Ciise Yibir, Tumaal, and Madhibaan probably outnumber them.
Wdym by bias? Would would colonials care about the population of these tribes?

Hamdule

J Haplogroup Enthusiast
Source? I doubt they are all Issaq, Issaq numbers have always been inflated due to British bias. Harti, Dir, Ciise Yibir, Tumaal, and Madhibaan probably outnumber them.
Second guy is madhiban, third guy is tumaal, and last guy is madhiban.

the others are isaaq

https://www.somnet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=354304 Source :)

Wdym by bias? Would would colonials care about the population of these tribes?
Colonial bias, Italians did it too. Even today, Ethiopia and Kenya hide real census numbers for the Somali population. I could be wrong, I apologize if I am

Arkan

RM7
Gadabursi
Screenshot_20230216_142357_Twitter.jpg

Habar Awal
Screenshot_20230216_142355_Twitter.jpg

Ciise
Screenshot_20230216_142354_Twitter.jpg

At what point did Northern Somalis drop the application of Ghee (Butter) on their hair and embrace the new look above

Do these guys look Nilo-Saharan? @Nilotic

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

 
Gadabursi traditional ceremony (dethroning of an Ugaas) View attachment 254610
Very interesting. Somalis usually say cimaamada ha ya qadin and here in this image we see what it use to mean. Taking the turban meant the dethroning of the nabadoon and now it became a cultural saying. One other interesting thing is their very long hair. I think ugas roble is cissa.

Last edited:

Arkan

RM7
Very interesting. Somalis usually say cimaamada ha ya qadin and here in this image we see what it use to mean. Taking the turban meant the dethroning of the nabadoon and now it became a cultural saying. One other interesting thing is their very long hair. I think ugas roble is cissa.
Makes sense. In traditional inauguration ceremony (caleemo saarka) they also have multiple Cimaamads placed on their head.

Nah, it was Ugaas Rooble the 2nd of the Gadabursi, not the Ciise. They never dethroned their Ugaas Rooble
Screenshot_20230216_152940_Chrome.jpg

Garaad diinle

 
I wonder does anyone know what this hairstyle is called? I call it timo raamo raamo what about you? Timo raamo could also be an insult meaning unkempt hair. How do they make their hair look like this?

cIfFOWj.png

UmrbwR8.png

Last edited: