Original Somali/Berber culture is matriarchal

Is Somali culture in it's essence matriarchal?

• Total voters

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Unsure about whether Somali Culture was Patriarchal or Matriarchal in the Pre-Islamic Era due to no information available. However, im sure the Araweelo story is a mere myth that was created to keep Women in check.

As for Berbers, they're a heterogeneous bunch. Tuaregs may be Matriarchal, but other Berbers won't be.
Yeah scholars believe all the Bible stories were myth's too.
Most Somali genealogies point to a matriarchal society in the past.

Also all Berber culture in it's essence was matriarchal, scholars agree on this. Islam changed that, but still when looking at their cultures, traces of their matriarchal past can be found.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Berbers are a pastoralist nomadic society and pastoralist societies are almost never matriarchal men are useful and needed while women offer nothing in a society where you need to defend an area hunt and kill to survive and protect yourself from wild animals etc

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I do believe so. If you look at Somali genealogy many clans bear the name of a woman. This in my opinion is also an indication for Somalis having been a matriarchal society.
Because the father marries multiple women, so to know from which woman the came, they name him ina habar, Somalis like to differentiate the offspring

CaliTedesse

VIP
Berbers are a pastoralist nomadic society and pastoralist societies are almost never matriarchal men are useful and needed while women offer nothing in a society where you need to defend an area hunt and kill to survive and protect yourself from wild animals etc
Amus bro you don't know Berbers I grew up with them their women are just like Somali women, many are manly in spirit and the female has more sway over a Berber home.

CaliTedesse

VIP
Because the father marries multiple women, so to know from which woman the came, they name him ina habar, Somalis like to differentiate the offspring
When looking at families back home. Somali women are the breadwinners and take care of the family. Many Somali women and I've seen plenty documentaries make sure the family gets to eat while the male just chews khat and chills with friends. These are also traces of matriarchal society.

CaliTedesse

VIP
1590611546900.png

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
When looking at families back home. Somali women are the breadwinners and take care of the family. Many Somali women and I've seen plenty documentaries make sure the family gets to eat while the male just chews khat and chills with friends. These are also traces of matriarchal society.
Maybe this is after the civil war, but before that Somalis used the chew khat at weekends, like western with beers

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Amus bro you don't know Berbers I grew up with them their women are just like Somali women, many are manly in spirit and the female has more sway over a Berber home.
war adiga iska amus bro i grew up with them too don't mean i can speak about thier culture and define who they are thats something only a berber can do not you

who is this guy is he a historian looks more like a drunk truck driver, either way, i stand by my claim

ps commanding at home and matriarchy are two different things it doesn't mean she makes the decisions it just means she's a stay at home mom

CaliTedesse

VIP
war adiga iska amus bro i grew up with them too don't mean i can speak about thier culture and define who they are thats something only a berber can do not you

who is this guy is he a historian looks more like a drunk truck driver, either way, i stand by my claim

ps commanding at home and matriarchy are two different things a man might work outside and gets the bill while the women stay at home doesn't mean she makes the decisions she just means she's a stay at home mom
You are dumb and you did not grew up with them you are UK xoolo.
Half a million of them live here and 10 thousands in this city.

Plus that is a documentary and that man fought for Berber rights in Morocco and is a Berber himself. You are just a Somali from a forum drunk on nationalism and CuSHEIT.

Last edited:

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
You are dumb and you did not grew up with them you are UK xoolo.
Half a million of them live here and in this city.

Plus that is a documentary and that man fought for Berber rights in Morocco and is a Berber himself. You are just a Somali from a forum drunk on nationalism and CuSHEIT.

tenor.gif

:wtf: relax i just gave my opinion