Puntland Local Election 2024

Calaami

Garaadka Guud ee Beesha Calaamka
It was very wise of TPEC to give each party specific days to campaign. Everything is orderly, the parties are adhering to the rules, this is very pleasing to see unfold.

Calaami

Garaadka Guud ee Beesha Calaamka
Took the time to view most of the parties campaign speeches today and yesterday on FB. A lot of the parties are spending a large amount of time describing the different programs and projects they’d work on if elected. Mideeye doesn’t seem to be doing this, they need to if they want to do well. Populist talk may work in Afisyoone election but Puntites need to hear your real ideas.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Great analysis from the Rift Valley Institute regarding local elections.
https://riftvalley.net/sites/defaul...ing Puntland's local government elections.pdf
RVI Puntland Elections.png

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
Can you summrize it?

It goes through the agreement reached between Deni and the political parties. 11 of the 13 issues that were resolved. Some issues that remained unsolves as of March 2023 when this report was completed were:

• Increasing the number of political associations that would become political parties post local elections from three to a larger number.
It seems that Deni is trying to resolve this by opening the constitution and making a change to five political parties from the constitutional three. As of today this is the main issue in contention. I don't understand why the political associations oppose Deni since this will make more them into permanent parties. Those opposed maybe Mideeye and Horseed are opposed because they think that weakens them.

• Political associations could not agree on what elections model open list or closed list proportional representation.
TPEC decided this for them and chose to go with closed list proportional representation.

• Reduction of the number of local council members
The political parties want the number of councilors reduced. The government agrees but have to wait for the June session of the parliament to make the changes.

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP
It goes through the agreement reached between Deni and the political parties. 11 of the 13 issues that were resolved. Some issues that remained unsolves as of March 2023 when this report was completed were:

• Increasing the number of political associations that would become political parties post local elections from three to a larger number.
It seems that Deni is trying to resolve this by opening the constitution and making a change to five political parties from the constitutional three. As of today this is the main issue in contention. I don't understand why the political associations oppose Deni since this will make more them into permanent parties. Those opposed maybe Mideeye and Horseed are opposed because they think that weakens them.

• Political associations could not agree on what elections model open list or closed list proportional representation.
TPEC decided this for them and chose to go with closed list proportional representation.

The political parties want the number of councilors reduced. The government agrees but have to wait for the June session of the parliament to make the changes.
Thanks bro for your information.

To my limited understanding:
Constitutional amendment is not required for political party increase; in the Constitutional bylaws, there is articles, of which provisions guide as to how Elections are to be governed, and actions to take in the event General Elections could not be held on time. As happened with Xaashi, Cadde and others after them, Parliament reviews the said articles, submits recommendations, and so it is decided, and agreed upon. Of course conflict could arise, as Somali politicians hardly ever differentiate legalities from politics, in that what is legal could beget political crises, if there is no consensus by stakeholders.

The question of Constitutional amendment arises 'cos seasoned politicians are concerned of Deni's tyrannical tendencies, and what he might get up to, as he has done a few times, and theirs are warning shots to Deni, and to the public, for they have responsibility to do so.

Just a thought.

Is this new? I have not seen proposals, or discussions to that effect, ever since Gaas vacated villa Garowe. He floated the idea a few times.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
The question of Constitutional amendment arises 'cos seasoned politicians are concerned of Deni's tyrannical tendencies, and what he might get up to, as he has done a few times, and theirs are warning shots to Deni, and to the public, for they have responsibility to do so.

Just a thought.

Is this new? I have not seen proposals, or discussions to that effect, ever since Gaas vacated villa Garowe. He floated the idea a few times.

Faroole & co talking points hanoola imaan. Deni is the best president Puntland has had thus far. He is pro democracy and wants to be relected through a popular vote. It is those that are opposed to Deni that have no confidence in the people of Puntland and want to maintain this system of clan elections.

Last edited:
Faroole & co talking points hanoola imaan.
'Duf ku bax, xishoonba mayside waa ku sidee'. Faroole, my least favourite leader to have occupied villa Garowe, did not even cross my mind.

Deni is the best president Puntland has had thus far. He is pro democracy and wants to be relected through a popular vote. It is those that are opposed to Deni that have no confidence in the people of Puntland and want to maintain this system of clan elections.
Slay the devil, and give his dues. I would concur Deni is bold, and have surpassed all expectations, as I did state before, yet I am not blind to his shortcomings.

Care to elaborate on the question concerning 'Local council members' revision strategy?

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
'Duf ku bax, xishoonba mayside waa ku sidee'. Faroole, my least favourite leader to have occupied villa Garowe, did not even cross my mind.

Slay the devil, and give his dues. I would concur Deni is bold, and have surpassed all expectations, as I did state before, yet I am not blind to his shortcomings.

Care to elaborate on the question concerning 'Local council members' revision strategy?
Deni has shortcomings, one of which is he agrees in principle to fiscal federalism i.e tax revenue sharing and the sharing of natural resource revenue.

The parties and Deni agree that it is crazy to have 33 paid council members for every class A district. There is no need for that many reps. The law that governs How many reps there are will be changed in the next parliamentary session.

Deni has shortcomings, one of which is he agrees in principle to fiscal federalism i.e tax revenue sharing and the sharing of natural resource revenue.

The parties and Deni agree that it is crazy to have 33 paid council members for every class A district. There is no need for that many reps. The law that governs How many reps there are will be changed in the next parliamentary session.
Then we are on the same page. Again, local council number reduction, or increase is a procedural matter, manageable through consensus, hardly tantamount to crises.

What prompted the 'hanoola imaan' dig? Are Faroole people flooding your gates in your quiet quarters?

Trending

Latest posts