[RBX-DEV] Anyone interested in game development?

Steeq

@Discord: steeq
(READ THIS BEFORE REPLYING: Don't reply unless interested in the post )
Sup, it's Steeq (Saddiq)!

So, basically, like on the title RBX does mean Roblox, I'm talking about that platform you've probably seen your younger siblings play if you're not familiar with it. Some people like to dunk on it just because Roblox is a big platform with a large audience of minors. But in my view, it's extremely profitable. I've worked on projects and done commissions—some went nowhere and ended up straight in the trash, but others did well, and I still get a percentage from those even though I’m no longer actively working on them. So far made around $36k USD on the plateform through DevEx (How Devs Exchange Robux->USD ). I know that doesn't sound like alot, however I am very early into my career, and haven't fully released a single project of my own yet. I've met hand full of Somalis that were in the same feild as me, don't want to drop names, but 2 are doing better numbers than me, 3 are in the same boat as me, but aren't programmers, and the rest are time wasters, the "idea man" type, where they don't provide anything to the table, but expect to build a team for there own dream projects. However with this forum I'd like to meet some of my own people who want in, not in the sense of building a team for my own studio, but just more of a community focused direction.

How does game development work on roblox?

I'll speak as if you don't know anything about it. Roblox games although some are jokes, and others look like they belong somewhere else entirely.
Roblox devs make money through a mix of user purchases, playtime engagement, and direct payouts. Unlike Steam or Unity, Roblox is like YouTube for games, with more ways to earn directly from players. Premium Stipends pay devs for keeping Premium (paid subscription) users engaged in their games. If a lot of Premium players spend time in a game, Roblox rewards the dev for that playtime. Sales of Goods (Ingame-Currancy / One or Monthly Payments) is a major revenue stream where devs create and sell in-game items like skins, weapons, or game passes for Robux, the virtual currency players buy with real money. This Robux can be converted to cash through DevEx (Developer Exchange), making Sales of Goods highly profitable for devs with popular games. Premium Payouts add to earnings based on how much time Premium players spend in a game. The longer they stay, the more the dev earns from a shared payout pool, acting like a bonus for keeping players engaged. Group Payouts are a way to distribute earnings within dev teams, where the group owner can pay members directly from the game’s earnings, useful for larger projects. Together, these features mean Roblox devs can make money through multiple streams without relying solely on direct sales, earning both from playtime and purchases. DevEx lets them cash out the Robux they’ve earned into real money, creating an easy, profitable cycle for active games.

Scripting Aspect: https://luau.org/
Are built using Luau, a programming language which is not the same as Lua but built using subsets from a version that came out on 2006. Luau includes optimizations for performance, type-checking, and debugging tools tailored to game development on Roblox, making it versatile for creating complex game mechanics, UI, and custom systems.

Everything else is the same as any other game engine, Blender or any 3d modeling software works, .obj / .fbx / .png / .jpg / etc all works even bones/pbr texture, just no shaders uploads!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Keep in mind, game development is challenging in general—a lot harder than most areas within the IT bubble. However, it's also one of the most rewarding fields if you manage to overcome the hurdles that cause so many projects and studios to fail. Success in game dev means creating a product that isn't a one-time purchase or disposable content like a movie or video; instead, it offers the opportunity to build high-retention formulas that generate passive income over time. Once the core game system is fully built and optimized, it becomes a self-sustaining 'money machine' that can keep generating revenue with minimal upkeep. In essence, the real payoff is in achieving that stability—something few manage to reach, but those who do can see long-term financial rewards with little to no ongoing work.

As far as the community I want to build goes, I'll be active working on my projects when I am online, however if I do have spare time can give lessons or tips, even help code if you are getting started.
Temporary Discord server invite: https://diskord.gg/K2VfgZyXeh (Replace K with a c)

Won't be and am not very active on this website as a whole, nor am I in alot of discord servers only in 2 that I own and 2 I use privately, plus this one will be my next one. You can reach me on discord at any time, I am very active due my mobile phone being with me or my pc having discord open in the background!
Add Discord Link: https://discord.com/users/991078539627470899

Last edited:

Steeq

@Discord: steeq
Here are studios that are hiring for there own games to give perspective in the field:

Creator Studio of Bedwars / Islands:
1730094554666.png

Another Studio Called: Voldex
1730094292909.png

Creator Studio Of Tower Defense Simulator: (Offering $85,000-95,000 Salary)
1730094365998.png

many more averaging $70k as minimum
but it's far more profitable like in the near millions profitable to do a indie or even solo studio such as myself!

Trending