Regarding "Bantus" in Somalia.

I know this is a very controversial topic and most people don't like hearing this but as Somalis we need to be open minded and not ignorant when it comes to this specific topics so we're not held back.

I find it really hard to believe that all Madows are descendants of Bantu slaves. I don't believe that their population went from 50k to almost million in less than 150 years. There are most definitely indigenous Madows who are not of Bantu origin but rather pre-Cushitic populations who roamed Somalia before the arrival of early cushites. Tribes like shiidle shabeele, Eylo, gawawiin, makane, hintire, and boni are definitely indigenous not just because they say so but the regional and historic evidence. The only Bantu slaves that were brought were definitely the Zigua and the Shambara (nyassa, makua, ngindo, Yao).

If you even look at a shambara clan tree you will see that they are definitely not horn African, not just because of the names, but also how short the lineages are compared to other Madow tribes.

Shambara don't even speak proper Maay it's like a creole between maay maxaa and their native language Zigua speak their own tongue. But have you ever heard a shiidle or makane speak Somali? It sounds so proper and pure. Like this topic has been keeping me awake for years when I read articles that document non Somali population that live in Somalia that were all known as "boon" or "madow gaalo" and the Eyle tribe from Buur Heybe has pre Islamic ties to Somalia they were the first to discover pottery and the man who discovered it sacrificed his wife to satisfy his creator and guarantee success, which was a part of early waaqefana or Waaq which predates Islam in the region and the coming of Bantus was way after the country became Muslim so the Eylo are definitely not of Bantu origin. But there
are also many Afaafs, in Somalia there's Udub and afaaf. Udub is the nobles and Afaaf is entree. I don't think Bantus were in the country long enough to get absorbed to a clan they usually keep to themselves and try to keep their culture and tradition alive.
Raxanweyns have a lot of absorbed Madow but their are also pre Arab slave trade documents of them like "bôn helai" or eelay boon they talked about how eelay tried to kill off all their boon because they were outnumbering the fileec but most refused. And Biimaal afaaf are definitely of the same stock as the indigenous Madows and also wardaay have so many Madow looking people Ormas in general tend to look Madow. I think they are all the same as hunter gatherer populations from Ethiopia who were probably Omotic but they definitely are Cushitic or Nilotic admixture because they are a lot taller than the pure Bantu populations of lower Juba and some of their hair and features look like the average jileec.

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
I know this is a very controversial topic and most people don't like hearing this but as Somalis we need to be open minded and not ignorant when it comes to this specific topics so we're not held back.

I find it really hard to believe that all Madows are descendants of Bantu slaves. I don't believe that their population went from 50k to almost million in less than 150 years. There are most definitely indigenous Madows who are not of Bantu origin but rather pre-Cushitic populations who roamed Somalia before the arrival of early cushites. Tribes like shiidle shabeele, Eylo, gawawiin, makane, hintire, and boni are definitely indigenous not just because they say so but the regional and historic evidence. The only Bantu slaves that were brought were definitely the Zigua and the Shambara (nyassa, makua, ngindo, Yao).

If you even look at a shambara clan tree you will see that they are definitely not horn African, not just because of the names, but also how short the lineages are compared to other Madow tribes.

Shambara don't even speak proper Maay it's like a creole between maay maxaa and their native language Zigua speak their own tongue. But have you ever heard a shiidle or makane speak Somali? It sounds so proper and pure. Like this topic has been keeping me awake for years when I read articles that document non Somali population that live in Somalia that were all known as "boon" or "madow gaalo" and the Eyle tribe from Buur Heybe has pre Islamic ties to Somalia they were the first to discover pottery and the man who discovered it sacrificed his wife to satisfy his creator and guarantee success, which was a part of early waaqefana or Waaq which predates Islam in the region and the coming of Bantus was way after the country became Muslim so the Eylo are definitely not of Bantu origin. But there
are also many Afaafs, in Somalia there's Udub and afaaf. Udub is the nobles and Afaaf is entree. I don't think Bantus were in the country long enough to get absorbed to a clan they usually keep to themselves and try to keep their culture and tradition alive.
Raxanweyns have a lot of absorbed Madow but their are also pre Arab slave trade documents of them like "bôn helai" or eelay boon they talked about how eelay tried to kill off all their boon because they were outnumbering the fileec but most refused. And Biimaal afaaf are definitely of the same stock as the indigenous Madows and also wardaay have so many Madow looking people Ormas in general tend to look Madow. I think they are all the same as hunter gatherer populations from Ethiopia who were probably Omotic but they definitely are Cushitic or Nilotic admixture because they are a lot taller than the pure Bantu populations of lower Juba and some of their hair and features look like the average jileec.
You think bantu tribes just hopped over Cushitic Somalis and Oromo and ended up in southern Somalia?
No bantu is native to Somalia. They're descendants of Slaves brought by Omani merchants to Banadir coast and sold to Somali merchants who brought them to the fertile farms further inland mostly along the Juba river, their tribes are well known, including the "Zigua" you mentioned, and are mostly of Tanzanian extract.

How can native speakers of Zigua who come from northern Tanzania be native to Somalia?

1718831075061.png

Stop yapping sxb

There are also some Mathoweyn peoples that descend from slaves brought over by Italians, that it also well documented I'll bring sources if you want.

Never said that
You think bantu tribes just hopped over Cushitic Somalis and Oromo and ended up in southern Somalia?
No bantu is native to Somalia. They're descendants of Slaves brought by Omani merchants to Banadir coast and sold to Somali merchants who brought them to the fertile farms further inland mostly along the Juba river, their tribes are well known, including the "Zigua" you mentioned, and are mostly of Tanzanian extract.

How can native speakers of Zigua who come from northern Tanzania be native to Somalia?

View attachment 332189

Stop yapping sxb

There are also some Mathoweyn peoples that descend from slaves brought over by Italians, that it also well documented I'll bring sources if you want.
never said that Bantus are native to the horn you’ve read nothing I said. I said they are most likely Pre Cushitic hunter gatherers who are related to Ari banna and Mekan tribes of Ethiopia. All of those tribes in Ethiopia and northern Sudan predate us Cushites so why is it hard to believe that similar groups lived in Somalia. Like i honestly want people to start doing ancestry tests on these people if you just look at them they look different from the average Bantu Somali.

View attachment 332189

Stop yapping sxb

And can you source the document stating Italians bought in African slaves?

no Jrweyne clan is native to Somalia, but the northern ones came from West Ethiopia down the shabelle river fleeing from the Oromo invasion, according to their own myths.

also only the southern two tribes (mushungli and shambara- aka gosha) are of Bantu origin, though I wouldn’t call them Bantu now seeing as that is a linguistic category and they speak Af Maay Dhoobe.

And can you source the document stating Italians bought in African slaves?
Italians didn’t bring in slaves at all. Majority of gosha were either maroons on their way to Arabia or escapes from Swahili/zanzabari plantations.

He might be confusing it with the fact that italian forced labor during the fascist period was mostly compelled from non-samaale/sab clans so as to avoid a rebellion.

no Jrweyne clan is native to Somalia, but the northern ones came from West Ethiopia down the shabelle river fleeing from the Oromo invasion, according to their own myths.

also only the southern two tribes (mushungli and shambara- aka gosha) are of Bantu origin, though I wouldn’t call them Bantu now seeing as that is a linguistic category and they speak Af Maay Dhoobe.
Yeah I see what you’re saying when I said “Bantu” I mean their origin and I heard of that myth specifically from the reer bare they call themselves reer shabeele now.

What about the non Gosha/mushunguli southern jrweyne clans?

What about the non Gosha/mushunguli southern jrweyne clans?
Makanne, Kaboole, Shabelle, Shiidle, Eyle, Gawaawiin etc are all of same ethnic stock and all claim to have migrated from eastern Ethiopia
They migrated from Bale, which used to be Somali, when the Oromos took it over. They were clients of the Digil and they followed them down the river. I have a video of one of their sheikhs explaining their history

They migrated from Bale, which used to be Somali, when the Oromos took it over. They were clients of the Digil and they followed them down the river. I have a video of one of their sheikhs explaining their history
Thanks for explaining. Would you mind shearing the link of the sheikhs?

We have other Bantus like Bajuni but the descendants of slaves are so numerous because they have the best land in the country and live off of farming. We gave them the conditions to do so. Look at the population in other East African countries who live the same lifestyle. Uganda e.g.

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
OP there are madow in the south that aren't slave decedents you're 100% on the ball with that. Even ignoring how the math behind their population explosion would make no sense, Raxanweyn assimilated many different groups when they migrated from Bale to Koonfur Galbeed in the middle ages. They were mostly Somalioid groups lakiin you can see in the appearance of some Raxanweyn that there were a more distinct group of people living in the south.

Imo these were the decedents of the original HG tribes of Somalia that were very distantly related to Omotics. We won't know for sure though until some of these assimilated/mixed RX take a DNA test.

Trending