Russian Strategy rather than Winter reason for victory against Napoleon

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Many discredit the Russian military strategy and their effective scorched earth policy. This short clip on the French Retreat of 1812 shows how the Russians moved against the Grande Armee and strangled it

e57180e7c1a8bb65d18c5109f1c5f325.jpg

Top quality video :denzelnigga:

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
Napoleon made a fatal mistake when he thought a quick punitive expedition of Russia would be successful. He should have planned for a longer campaign and sorted out logistics first, this campaign doomed him and Leipzig was the final nail in the coffin - not Waterloo.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Napoleon made a fatal mistake when he thought a quick punitive expedition of Russia would be successful. He should have planned for a longer campaign and sorted out logistics first, this campaign doomed him and Leipzig was the final nail in the coffin - not Waterloo.
Yeah, many think it was Waterloo that ended Napoleon but the battle of Leipzig sealed his fate. Also his defeat in Spain cost him dearly. His finest troops were bogged down in a endless guerrilla war :damedamn:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I have once rode a bicycle at autumn it was like 7 to 3 c° only wearing jacket and skinny jeans with sport shoes, and suddenly it was snowing with little rain, with the snow melting on me my hands and feet frozen immediately :damn: it was shitty moment I stopped in near market for a while, I waited like 15 min to feel back my feet and hands I don't which this to anybody :francis:

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
I have once rode a bicycle at autumn it was like 7 to 3 c° only wearing jacket and skinny jeans with sport shoes, and suddenly it was snowing with little rain, with the snow melting on me my hands and feet frozen immediately :damn: it was shitty moment I stopped in near market for a while, I waited like 15 min to feel back my feet and hands I don't which this to anybody :francis:
Imagine being in the middle of nowhere in Russia in winter while being stalked by Cossacks and Russian imperial army :jcoleno:

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
Never ever underestimate "General Winter", as the Russians refer to it.

The German supply lines and logistics were too long when they were in the outskirts of Moscow. Should've just focused on taking Leningrad and Stalingrad and stabilizing the front and captured territories within those lines.

The campaign in Ukraine and the Caucasus was necessary to ensure food and energy (oil). Instead of halting and stabilizing what they had concquered, the Germans chew off more than they could eat and it all resulted in catastrophy. They simply couldn't wage full frontal advancement towards Moscow and stabilize conquered territories at the same time. Should've focused on one.

Either securing conquered territories or go full attack on Moscow directly.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Very interesting.. The Russian also brought down nazi Germany to its knees.
They kept stalking the French retreating,

They blocked the roads, kept on setting ambushes, burned bridges down, captured French supply depots in the cities occupied by the French

They made it a living hell and a journey of death :damn:

Last edited:
They kept stalking the French retreating blocked the roads, kept on setting ambushes, burned bridges down, captured French supply depots in the cities occupied by the French

They made it a living hell and a journey of death :damn:

I think they used similar tactics against the Germans.. The Russians don't joke around, they let you in smoothly and finish you off after you think you've won.. Caadi ma ahan

@SamaalicEra
The Russian tactic is actually not bad, I never knew ambush tactics could be this deadly... It's probably one of the reasons why the soviet union as well as the Americans lost the war with the Talibans in Afghanistan.. If you continually keep ambushing and exhaust your enemy they'll eventually get drained and you might end up winning.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
@SamaalicEra
The Russian tactic is actually not bad, I never knew ambush tactics could be this deadly... It's probably one of the reasons why the soviet union as well as the Americans lost the war with the Talibans in Afghanistan.. If you continually keep ambushing and exhaust your enemy they'll eventually get drained and you might end up winning.
They used ambushs to disrupt the march. They would purposefully let some units escape in order to trap others

They also followed and stalk the French throughout the entire retreat and were picking them off without any major battles but trying to starve them and break the discipline

500000 died all together, Almost the entire French Army :jaynerd:

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
General Kutozov preventing Napoleon from Marching through Kaluga to Smolensk was what screwed over Napoleon

He made him march on ruined land with no food or supplies and Grande Armee lived off the land

It was a splendid move

@Abdisamad3 :lawd:

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
Many discredit the Russian military strategy and their effective scorched earth policy. This short clip on the French Retreat of 1812 shows how the Russians moved against the Grande Armee and strangled it

View attachment 118795

Top quality video :denzelnigga:

the reason the russian won was because they don't follow the rules of war ie you can't just capture Moscow and then call it a win like in many other places the russians where capable of residing land and just continue fighting due to how large the country is and due to the scorched earth policy the french army could not rely on taking any resources that locals had witch was one of Napleons strategies as it allowed his army to replenish and continue fighting at the same time.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
the reason the russian won was because they don't follow the rules of war ie you can't just capture Moscow and then call it a win like in many other places the russians where capable of residing land and just continue fighting due to how large the country is and due to the scorched earth policy the french army could not rely on taking any resources that locals had witch was one of Napleons strategies as it allowed his army to replenish and continue fighting at the same time.
This is very true. Also see how the Russians put so much pressure on the French. They captured cities from the French that had French supplies before the French army got there. They were closing off his escape route and smashing them aswell

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
It's too big and the Russians can fall back into Siberia.

So long as Siberia is part of Russia, Russia can not be conquered
Russians can not fall back into Siberia the tactic of draining someone can work both ways. Russian winters and modern tech make scorched earth while eating off the land elsewhere in russia impossible especially for any army large in size. They have industrialized and are now reliant on there western side completely.

It wasn’t the winter that won it was the ego and shortsightedness of the German/french against the lower russian that lost. The same way Russia was victimized in Finland later on.