See if you can solve this puzzle

which is larger

• A

• B

• same

Results are only viewable after voting.

xiin-finiin

general of ciidamada sida raha ubooda
let A be the set of all non-negative whole numbers. So, A = {0,1,2,3,4... going on forever}. And let B be the set of all non-negative even numbers. So, B={0,2,4,6,... going on forever}. Now, the question is, does A have more elements than B or does B have more elements than A or do they have number of elements ? pls justify your answer. if you've seen this question( or a similar one) or have a maths background, pls refrain from answering. I ask because i am collecting data for something.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Omar del Sur

RETIRED
VIP
how can there be bigger and smaller infinites????? an infinity is an infinity

(but I will add, though.... this kind of topic I think is speculative.... I don't claim to have definitive knowledge.. these are just my thoughts)

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
let A be the set of all non-negative whole numbers. So, A = {0,1,2,3,4... going on forever}. And let B be the set of all non-negative even numbers. So, B={0,2,4,6,... going on forever}. Now, the question is, does A have more elements than B or does B have more elements than A or do they have number of elements ? pls justify your answer. if you've seen this question( or a similar one) or have a maths background, pls refrain from answering. I ask because i am collecting data for something.

thanks in advance
both A and B have an infinite number of elements

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄
Would it not be option B since I assume decimal places would also be allowed in B. Unless B is also even whole number which I’d then say option A since no numbers are removed whilst option B is removing odd whole numbers

xiin-finiin

both A and B have an infinite number of elements
thats correct. but how do they compare to one another? keep in mind that there are infinities of different "sizes". So even though A and B are infinite sets, that doesn't necessarily mean their sizes (cardinality) is the same.

xiin-finiin

Would it not be option B since I assume decimal places would also be allowed in B. Unless B is also even whole number which I’d then say option A since no numbers are removed whilst option B is removing odd whole numbers
to whoever is reading this, please don't look at the spoiler before answering the question.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

How are you casually asking gender war experts and fkd experts to prove a math theorum? anyways, I am gonna go and say A has more number because it contains all the odd numbers that is not contained in B, so it has more but I am sure the answer isn't that simple.

xiin-finiin

How are you casually asking gender war experts and fkd experts to prove a math theorum? anyways, I am gonna go and say A has more number because it contains all the odd numbers that is not contained in B, so it has more but I am sure the answer isn't that simple.
Lool, thats actually the point of this post. I was curious how someone who never saw this question and wasn't familiar with math would answer.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Math is too arbitrary for me to get really interested in. It becomes fun when you use in combination with something like physics (the fun bits like relativity). Would there be any real life application to this?
Maths as a field isn’t really about direct real life applications, it just lays out alit of ground work that other fields use

Trending

Latest posts