Somali culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like somalis are loosing their culture slowly. I mean we don't name our children with somali names, we rarely dress up in white traditional attire like our ancestors did on special occasions. Which in my opinion looked extremely classy and culturally superior to regular clothing. Why did we stop wearing white? at the very best we should wear them on national holidays like eid or on special occasions.

somali-nomads.jpg
image-420x390.jpg

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
It’s 2019 sxb.

My son getting named abdi curry

And he finna be wearing bape, supreme and many other designer brands.

You can keep your lame ass clothing. Your son gonna get roasted when he pull up to school wearing those robes.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Our politicians should wear Somali cultural clothes like the Saudis do in their country.
AP230363120895.jpg

Instead they dress like this.
large.jpeg

This is how our leaders dressed in the old days.
downloadfile.png

sultan-mohamoud-ali-shire-2.jpg

68eed7b46a9d46cbc25c6b7f4918ad49.jpg

d670f0e237d972ab2703ca66d93cfb2d.jpg

I feel like somalis are loosing their culture slowly. I mean we don't name our children with somali names, we rarely dress up in white traditional attire like our ancestors did on special occasions. Which in my opinion looked extremely classy and culturally superior to regular clothing. Why did we stop wearing white? at the very best we should wear them on national holidays like eid or on special occasions.

somali-nomads.jpg
image-420x390.jpg

First it was European colonialism, then communism and then salafism.

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
I also see a lack of knowledge of our customs and traditions. For example most people don’t know what a xirsi is, traditional necklaces that enclosed texts from the Quran.
upload_2019-1-31_10-41-38.jpeg

upload_2019-1-31_10-42-16.jpeg

upload_2019-1-31_10-44-54.jpeg

Nowadays wearing this would be seen as pagan or backwards.

I agree it would be nice to modernize (since you can't wear it everywhere) that clothing in some way.

somali-nomads.jpg
image-420x390.jpg
Bro, cultures evolves all the time from outside influences to independent innovations.
Instead of bringing back the old culture, we should stop with the massive western influences and let it evolve with a mix of indigenous ideas and outside influence

I also see a lack of knowledge of our customs and traditions. For example most people don’t know what a xirsi is, traditional necklaces that enclosed texts from the Quran.View attachment 64494
View attachment 64495
View attachment 64496
Nowadays wearing this would be seen as pagan or backwards.
Most Somali Habro still have this style of necklace. Its usually gold and worn during weddings and special occasions, no Quran inside it though.

somali-nomads.jpg
image-420x390.jpg
Anyways, this nomad cloth is what poor people used to wear. If I going to wear something traditional, I'm going to wear high-class Majeerteen Kingdom era cloth:banderas:

Anyways, this nomad cloth is what poor people used to wear. If I going to wear something traditional, I'm going to wear high-class Majeerteen Kingdom era cloth:banderas:
It wasn't what poor people wore, it's what nomads wore... which was the vast majority. Its beautiful.

Crow shared what leadership wore.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
First, we should abandon Islam and then come back to Waaq if we want to preserve our unique culture. Otherwise, i'll promise that the "Somali culture" will be fully Arabised in 2050.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Just saying the pics OP posted looked more Somali then the other guy's pics.

I thought you guys were talking about your autenthic culture and not one adopted from Arabs via Islam.
Both of them are our authentic culture. The white robes are nomadic clothing. That isn't all we had. City dwellers and nobility wore different types of clothes.

We had a variety of different styles for people in different walks of life.
777b387326c7f94774aaa9489e0daab8.jpg
Keenadiid.jpg

5f2d2cadf78b0663cfbeddee113d6fbc.jpg

IMG_20180622_183207.jpg
b1113b0887a8092646acee1903cc387a.jpg
271dec473d806329f39ce04700ada934.jpg

Last edited:
most of the nomads were poor, those that could afford it (merchants, leaders,etc) wore different attires.

@embarassing is right. The vast majority of Somalis wore the nomadic style, whereas suldaans/chiefs, sheikhs and merchants wore similar to what the OP posted.

Here is a mid-19th century description of Sharmarke Saleh, a Habar Yunis merchant turned ruler of Zeila, Berbera & Tadjourah:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.