Somali people origin

NidarNidar

모Resident Netrunner모
VIP
No. Proto-Nilotic is a linguistic term which is way younger than the genetic conversation we're talking about. But if you mean proto-Nilotic as the genetics of the proto-Nilo-Saharans, then that too is wrong.

Those groups share ancestral roots but even they were a separate lineage. We're not derived from them.

Let me show you a simplified picture that is discreet to illustrate how wrong people are when they say "proto-Nilote":
View attachment 295061
This makes a lot of sense, would this group be closely related to the Sandawe or Hadza?

1695380192166.jpeg

PCA plot showed closest SSA group outside of typical horner/NEA was the Sandawe, Hadza and then Mursi, closest NA group was Timimoun Amazigh and other Amazigh groups.

"Although the Khoisan were originally thought to possess the oldest human DNA lineages, those of the Sandawe are older. This suggests southern Khoisan originated in East Africa.[2]"

1695380567267.png

I've heard of Khoisan haplogroups extracted from predynastic tombs around the Nile.

How much ANA do you believe our ancestors have? I thought any ANA our AEA ancestors had came from an iberomaurusian related source
When I say ANA it means two things. ANA-proper, the Ancient North Africans and related DNA source. And there is the lazy and vague ANA which is a basket of every weird reading that can't be attributed to specific signatures or origins and vaguely might look like ANA but could be an artifact of an inherent drift from one of the genetics we have that is not ANA. Or some proto-Eurasian back migration that had so much non-Eurasian DNA retained and mixed with people in northeast Africa... It's difficult to say what is what in that regard. We might be surprised in the future when we gain a resolution. I think we need serious studies that utilize scientific tools to capture these developments.

And to your question regarding if we might find AEA. Maybe, I probably would think so. If we ever sample those Gebel Sahaba types. Those I would think would hold lots of such DNA, probably very Nilotic-like. Maybe we could even see dead basal sub-lineages that only passed on limited DNA or related to parts of our DNA removed indirectly. Parts of me want our current needs satisfied but I also want the complexity of the regions pre-historic mapped out. Similar to how Europeans are oriented with their hunter-gatherers.

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri aka Targaryen of the Awalid Kingdom.
This makes a lot of sense, would this group be closely related to the Sandawe or Hadza?

View attachment 295106
PCA plot showed closest SSA group outside of typical horner/NEA was the Sandawe, Hadza and then Mursi, closest NA group was Timimoun Amazigh and other Amazigh groups.

"Although the Khoisan were originally thought to possess the oldest human DNA lineages, those of the Sandawe are older. This suggests southern Khoisan originated in East Africa.[2]"

View attachment 295107

I've heard of Khoisan haplogroups extracted from predynastic tombs around the Nile.
Tutsis,Masais,Datooga,Ari,Kikuyu etc are all closer to us than the Sandawe or Hadza.

View attachment 295106

View attachment 295107

Those groups are furhter down in a gepgraphic paleolithic forager genetic cline.

Hadza and Sandawe are mixed groups:

This is likely not the best model, still, not so far-fetched (averages):
1695418263693.png

If you remove the food producer DNA in those groups (meaning, Sudanese; Somali, Yoruba), you'll have something roughly like this:

Sandawe 65.3% Kakapel (ancient hunter-gatherer from southwestern Kenya with excess central African DNA) with 34.7% southern African hunter-gatherer.

Hadza will show something roughly, 49.7% Kakapel, 44.3% Mota, and 6% South African hunter-gatherer.

I put in the relevant ancient samples for hunter-gatherers and it only picked up Mota and Youruba:
1695420072718.png

Still, notice the big distance...

With Somali sample:
1695420237625.png

Notice we don't pick up Yoruba. This can be explained by two reasons, we lack West/Central African related DNA and it is the fact that Mota doesn't provide Sudanese, a highly rich East African DNA with the structural consistency, so it compensates using Yoruba-like. We don't need that because our East African DNA is less, likely Mota got some variation related to it in excess. But check out the distance; shows how we really have nothing to do with that sample. Also, notice how Mota consumes so much Eurasian-like DNA...

Included some sims:
1695421442017.png

"BasalEurasian" in this case "BasalEurasian:ZlatyKun_minusBachoKiro_minusWest Eurasian)" -- simulated stuff. Nothing evidentiary -- purely experimental -- even methodological confirmation which is not good for asserting values behind results. We're not too constrained with things so might as well check things out.

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
Those groups are furhter down in a gepgraphic paleolithic forager genetic cline.

Hadza and Sandawe are mixed groups:

This is likely not the best model, still, not so far-fetched (averages):
View attachment 295223

If you remove the food producer DNA in those groups (meaning, Sudanese; Somali, Yoruba), you'll have something roughly like this:

Sandawe 65.3% Kakapel (ancient hunter-gatherer from southwestern Kenya with excess central African DNA) with 34.7% southern African hunter-gatherer.

Hadza will show something roughly, 49.7% Kakapel, 44.3% Mota, and 6% South African hunter-gatherer.

I put in the relevant ancient samples for hunter-gatherers and it only picked up Mota and Youruba:
View attachment 295228

Still, notice the big distance...

With Somali sample:
View attachment 295229

Notice we don't pick up Yoruba. This can be explained by two reasons, we lack West/Central African related DNA and it is the fact that Mota doesn't provide Sudanese, a highly rich East African DNA with the structural consistency, so it compensates using Yoruba-like. We don't need that because our East African DNA is less, likely Mota got some variation related to it in excess. But check out the distance; shows how we really have nothing to do with that sample. Also, notice how Mota consumes so much Eurasian-like DNA...

Included some sims:
View attachment 295233

"BasalEurasian" in this case "BasalEurasian:ZlatyKun_minusBachoKiro_minusWest Eurasian)" -- simulated stuff. Nothing evidentiary -- purely experimental -- even methodological confirmation which is not good for asserting values behind results. We're not too constrained with things so might as well check things out.
How much do you know about ancient human dna? Do you believe we might have some homo sapien idaltu (herto man) DNA? Herto man was discovered in the afar region

How much do you know about ancient human dna? Do you believe we might have some homo sapien idaltu (herto man) DNA? Herto man was discovered in the afar region
How much do I know about ancient DNA? Some and little, depending on what the conversation is about. If you mean DNA regarding specimens in 150,000 years of age, then nothing. And I will further assert that no one knows what the genetics of Herto Man is either. There is a high chance he was a dead-end. Within speculatory, non-scientific grounds, a hypothetical proposition that appears on the surface rational claims that current humans are a resultant mosaic composite of many different humans that live in complex environments around Africa. Thus, extant humans are the homogenized versions of that complex mixing. "Homogenized" is purely put in a relative context.

I think humans are just humans. What motivates us now is what drove them then, behaviorally as well. You don't need any anthropology to come to this conclusion.

Based on what I know, most Somali males carry E-V32, which descends from the Iberomaurusians' E-M78; and most Somali males and females carry various sub-Saharan African haplogroups ("L" haplogroups) [Link]. So, Somalis appear to be a mixture of Iberomaurusian males who migrated into the Horn and mated with indigenous African females. However, when modeling Somalis using Vahaduo, the program will choose Natufian rather than Iberomaurusian in order to model part of Somalis' ancestry.

Collectively, this all implies that Somalis paternally descend from a mixture of Iberomaurusian males and Natufian females. More than likely, Natufians migrated into North Africa and the females were taken by the Iberomaurusian males; and their mixed male progeny then migrated into the Horn of Africa and mated with indigenous African females, thereby creating Somalis (and the other Afro-Eurasian Horners).

The Iberomaurusians and the Natufians shared ancestry; the former's E-M78 and the latter's E-Z830 both descend from E-M35:
  • E-M215 (E1b1b) -> E-M35 -> E-L539 -> E-M78 (E1b1b1a1) [Link]
  • E-M215 (E1b1b) -> E-M35 -> E-Z827 -> E-Z830 [Link]
However, the Iberomaurusian culture began ~25,000 years ago, while the Natufian culture began ~15,550 years ago. This implies that the Natufians were an offshoot of the Iberomaurusians. Additionally, E-M35 was the most downstream haplogroup in the paternal lineage of the Iberomaurusians and the Natufians that existed ~25,000 years ago, which implies that it was the paternal haplogroup of the first Iberomaurusians.

E-M35 originated in the Horn of Africa according to phylogenetic analyses, which implies that the Iberomaurusians were partly sub-Saharan African / indigenous Horn African. This is consistent with peer-reviewed scientific studies that have concluded that the Iberomaurusians were partly sub-Saharan African; for example, Ancient West African Foragers In the Context of African Population History [Link] models the Iberomaurusians of Taforalt as deriving 54% of their ancestry from the same source as SSAs such as Mota, the SSA component of the Agaw, and West Africans & Bantus [Link].

This also explains why the Natufians have been determined to have been 6% Omotic (SSA) in the peer-reviewed scientific article, Re-analysis of Whole Genome Sequence Data From 279 Ancient Eurasians Reveals Substantial Ancestral Heterogeneity (2018) [Link], which states the following:

“The Natufian sample consisted of 61.2% Arabian, 21.2% Northern African, 10.9% Western Asian, and 6.8% Omotic [SSA] ancestry. The transition in the Levant from the Epipaleolithic to the Neolithic period involved an increase of Arabian ancestry at the expense of Northern African and Omotic ancestries.”

As already implied, the Iberomaurusians and the Natufians were partly Eurasian; the Iberomaurusians carried Eurasian Maternal Haplogroups M1b and U6a [Link], and the Natufians carried Eurasian Maternal Haplogroups J2 and N1 [Link, Table 2]. So, when their mixed progeny migrated into the Horn of Africa and mated with indigenous African females, they brought Eurasian DNA with them, which explains why Somalis have been determined to be 40% West Eurasian, according to peer-reviewed scientific studies, such as Genome-wide analyses disclose the distinctive HLA architecture and the pharmacogenetic landscape of the Somali population [Link].

"Principal component analysis with PLINK software showed approximately 60% East African and 40% West Eurasian genes in the Somali population, with a close relation to the Cushitic and Semitic speaking Ethiopian populations.... This study also found that VKORC1 haplotypes in Somalia are more similar to those found in West Eurasians rather than in other Sub-Saharan Africans, probably reflecting the considerable West Eurasian gene components found in the Somali population."

Note that there were archaic humans known as Aterians were who present in North Africa between 150 kya and 20 kya, which overlaps with the first 5000 years of the Iberomaurusian culture therein - and which overlaps with the the time period at which E-M35 formed (34,700 years ago, according to YFull). Therefore, it's likely that the carriers of E-M35 who migrated to North Africa from the Horn of Africa mixed with the Aterians; the product of this intermixing would have been the Ancestral North Africans (ANA). Therefore, the Iberomaurusians - being a mixture of ANA and Eurasians - likely had Aterian ancestry, which is consistent with their robust mandibles and overall robust anatomy - which are unlike those of anatomically modern humans.

Here's a quote from the peer-reviewed scientific article, The relevance of late MSA [Middle Stone Age] mandibles on the emergence of modern morphology in Northern Africa (2022) [Link].

"In Northern Africa, Aterians display similarities to Iberomaurusians and recent humans in the area as well as to the Tighenif and Thomas Quarry hominins, suggesting a greater time depth for regional continuity than previously assumed…. Iberomaurusians are clearly larger than their contemporaries, covering a similar size range as Aterians and early H. sapiens…. Even though we have no proof of an in-situ population succession, Aterian morphology fits the human fossil gap between Jebel Irhoud 11 and Iberomaurusians, suggesting a greater time depth for regional continuity in Northern Africa than previously established."

Therefore, the Iberomaurusians were a mixture of anatomically modern humans from the Horn of Africa who carried E-M35, anatomically modern humans from Eurasia (who carried M1b and U6a), and very possibly Aterians.

As for the Natufians, their African ancestry (Aterian and SSA) was less than that of the Iberomaurusians, which can be explained by their presence in the Middle East and their subsequent intermixing with full-blooded Eurasians.

Therefore, Somalis probably have a bit of Aterian ancestry from via their Iberomaurusian and Natufian ancestry.

For a full breakdown of the origin of the Iberomaurusians and Natufians, read my article here. Also, here is my Human Ancestry Graph for Africans, part of which represents what I've explained.

Last edited:
Nile Valley is where they have stayed for a very long time.

There is really no such thing as a definite geographic Urheimat for Ancestral East Africa because that lineage is supposedly tied to one of the oldest lineages we have. When we go back to 100 kya, I can't really say where people were exactly but we can say, that those people split from West Africans ~80 kya, and that they split from Eurasians ~70 kya, and so on. It's kind of strange how East Africans were the same trunk as non-Africans when they split from West Africans. It's fascinating.

ANA was probably a population that split from the lineage that was West African-East African-Eurasian, so maybe some 10s of thousands of years before we split from West Africans because I remember the Taforalt paper claimed the African DNA at the exclusion of the Near Eastern stuff was equidistant to the West Africans and East Africans. That to me is telling how it was just another deep African variation that went north and started to diverge. Why do I say that? Because Ust'Ishim, a lineage that split from Eurasians before the West and East Eurasian split was equally distant to both Eastern Eurasians and Western Eurasians. So ANA has to be some diverged group that split from us before we split from West Africans. It can also be a good reason why it shows strange Eurasian-like properties because maybe it enriched some variation of the African-sourced Eurasian-like diversity it had when going through the genetic drift (because this was, after all, a time when we were one diversity with non-Africans) -- remember that non-Africans are just a bottlenecked version of an African variation, after all.

But given ANA is in North Africa, Ancestral East African rich people are in Northeast Africa and West Africans are in the northern part of West Africa (just to give this consistent meaning), then I think the genesis could be anywhere in the modern Sahara, maybe central, maybe even eastern. The Saharan desert was a very different place back then with likely diverse forms of environmental variation. I don't think the group separated in southern Africa or anything like that.

Ancestral North Africans (ANA) were one of the progenitors of the Iberomaurusians and were indigenous to North Africa. Therefore, the Iberomaurusians' genetic makeup and morphology can be used to determine what ANA were and where they were from.

The Iberomaurusians of Taforalt - who lived between 15,100 and 13,900 years ago - carried Paternal Haplogroup E-M78 according to the peer-reviewed scientific article, Pleistocene North African Genomes Link Near Eastern And Sub-Saharan African Human Populations (2018) [Link].

"Consistently, we find that all males with sufficient nuclear DNA preservation carry Y haplogroup E1b1b1a1 (M-78; table S16). This haplogroup occurs most frequently in present-day North and East African populations."

Additionally, the Iberomaurusian culture emerged approximately 25,000 years ago according to the scientific article, New radiocarbon dates for the earliest Later Stone Age microlithic technology in Northwest Africa (2016) [Link].

“The new radiocarbon ages for Tamar Hat are closely comparable to the ages originally obtained by Saxon et al. (1974), but are more reliable because they are on bone collagen which has fewer issues with possible contamination. The calibrated ages indicate a timespan of at least 5000 years for the LSA [Later Stone Age] occupation, beginning near the base at 25,845–25,270 cal BP and ending at around 20,122–19,632 cal BP. It is noticeable that the industry appears ‘suddenly’ and with no obvious antecedence.”

Therefore, the paternal haplogroup of the first Iberomaurusians would have been E-M35, because E-M78 did not exist yet and E-M35 was the most downstream ancestor of E-M78 that did exist at that time.

E-M215 (E1b1b) -> E-M35 -> E-L539 -> E-M78 [Link].

E-M35 formed approximately 34,700 years ago according to YFull [Link]; and it formed in the Horn of Africa according to the peer-reviewed scientific article, Origin, Diffusion, and Differentiation of Y-Chromosome Haplogroups E and J: Inferences on the Neolithization of Europe and Later Migratory Events in the Mediterranean Area (2004) [Link].

Subsequently, ANA - who would have carried E-M35 - partly descended from Horners. I say "partly" because their progeny - the Iberomaurusians - possessed morphological traits that were consistent with the morphology of a divergent branch of modern humans / Homo sapiens whose stone-tool culture existed in North Africa between 150 kya and 20 kya: the Aterians [Link].

Aterians appear to have been the descendants of the Jebel Irhoud humans - and the Jebel Irhoud humans have been classified as basal Homo sapiens (i.e. humans who were at the beginning of the transition from Homo heidelbergensis to Homo sapiens). Both the Jebel Irhoud human fossils and the human fossils of Aterians were discovered in Morocco, which supports this conclusion.

Therefore, while the basal Homo sapiens of East Africa were evolving into anatomically modern humans and Homo sapiens idaltu (Herto Man), those of North Africa were evolving into Aterians. This means that Aterians were a different subspecies.

Here's a quote from the peer-reviewed scientific article, The origin and Evolution of Homo sapiens (2016) [Link]. It concerns the Aterian human fossil Dar-Es Sultane II H5.

"Deciding on how to classify Dar-Es Sultane II H5 is difficult. It has a rather modern looking face and frontal bone shape, but both are very large in size, as is the supraorbital development. Although previous assessments have suggested that it could represent an Aterian intermediate between the Middle Stone Age associated Irhoud specimens and those of the Iberomaurusian, (i.e. the local late Upper Paleolithic) morphometric analyses place it closer to Jebel Irhoud 1 and the Qafzeh crania than to the late Pleistocene fossils."

This indicates that ANA were a mixture of anatomically modern humans who carried E-M35 and Aterians.

Here's a quote from the peer-reviewed scientific article, The relevance of late MSA [Middle Stone Age] mandibles on the emergence of modern morphology in Northern Africa (2022) [Link]. It states that there is morphological continuity between the Jebel Irhoud humans, the Aterians and the Iberomaurusians, which supports this conclusion.

"In Northern Africa, Aterians display similarities to Iberomaurusians and recent humans in the area as well as to the Tighenif and Thomas Quarry hominins, suggesting a greater time depth for regional continuity than previously assumed…. Iberomaurusians are clearly larger than their contemporaries, covering a similar size range as Aterians and early H. sapiens…. Even though we have no proof of an in-situ population succession, Aterian morphology fits the human fossil gap between Jebel Irhoud 11 and Iberomaurusians, suggesting a greater time depth for regional continuity in Northern Africa than previously established."

The human skeleton that was discovered at Nazlet Khater - Egypt [Link] and is estimated to be 33,000 years old fits the temporal and geographic parameters of ANA: Egypt is in North Africa, where ANA resided; and 33,000 years ago is a little after the time that E-M35 is estimated to have formed (34,700 years ago).

As should be expected, the skeleton possesses a mixture of anatomically modern and divergent Homo sapiens traits; his skeleton is slender overall, but he has a massive mandible and a very low and recessed frontal bone (forehead) [Link].

What separates the Iberomaurusians from their ANA ancestors is the Iberomaurusians' Eurasian ancestry; the maternal haplogroups of the Iberomaurusians of Taforalt were M1b and U6a, and they indicate that Eurasians migrated into North Africa approximately 24,000 years ago - which was close to the time that the Iberomaurusian culture emerged.

M1b and U6a either originated in Eurasia or descend from maternal haplogroups that originated in Eurasia; and they formed approximately 24,000 years ago.

Here is a quote from the aforementioned article Pleistocene North African Genomes Link Near Eastern And Sub-Saharan African Human Populations (2018) [Link].

Mitochondrial consensus sequences of the Taforalt individuals belong to the U6a (six individuals) and M1b (one individual) haplogroups, which are mostly confined to present-day populations in North and East Africa. U6 and M1 have been proposed as markers for autochthonous Maghreb ancestry, which might have been originally introduced into this region by a back-to-Africa migration from West Asia.... Notably, the diversification of haplogroups U6a and M1 found for Taforalt is dated to ~24,000 yr B.P. (fig. S23), which is close in time to the earliest known appearance of the Iberomaurusian culture in Northwest Africa [25,845 to 25,270 cal. yr B.P. at Tamar Hat].

Nile Valley is where they have stayed for a very long time.

There is really no such thing as a definite geographic Urheimat for Ancestral East Africa because that lineage is supposedly tied to one of the oldest lineages we have. When we go back to 100 kya, I can't really say where people were exactly but we can say, that those people split from West Africans ~80 kya, and that they split from Eurasians ~70 kya, and so on. It's kind of strange how East Africans were the same trunk as non-Africans when they split from West Africans. It's fascinating....

Regarding West Africans (and Bantus), you've stated that we split from Ancestral East Africans 80 kya. This is impossible.

West Africans and Bantus carry haplogroups that originated in East Africa or that trace back to East Africa within the past ~39,200 to 52,300 years at most, such as E-M132, E-M2, and various subclades of L3. Note that we also have older haplogroups (e.g. subclades of A00, L1 and L2) via ancestry that is much more distantly related to that of East Africans, but they are not relevant to the portion of our ancestry that your comment concerns.

According to YFull, E-M132 [Link] formed approximately 49,800 years ago and E-M2 [Link] formed approximately 39,200 years ago. Therefore, the paternal lineages of West Africans split from East Africans 39,200 to 49,800 years ago at most.

In regard to our subclades of L3, consider Figure 1 [Link] of the scientific article Mitochondrial genetic profile of the Yoruba population from Nigeria (2019) [Link], which shows that the Yoruba of West Africa carry L3d, L3e, and L3f.

Also consider the scientific article Phylogenetic and phylogeographic analysis of African mitochondrial DNA variation (2004) [Link], which states the following:

"Further evidence for the influence of the Bantu movements on the genetic landscape of Africa is widely reported; the broad distributions of the haplogroups L3e1 and L3e4, for example, are reported to be the due to the Bantu dispersals (Bandelt et al 2001)."

According to the peer-reviewed scientific article, The Making of the African mtDNA Landscape. American Journal of Human Genetics (2002) [Link], L3e formed approximately 45,000 years ago in the region of Sudan (which is partly in East Africa) - and L3f formed in East Africa as well (though a date is not specified).

"L3e (fig. 9b) is the most widespread, frequent, and ancient of the African L3 clades, comprising approximately one-third of all L3 types in sub-Saharan Africa. This haplogroup has recently been dissected in some detail by Bandelt et al. (2001), who suggest an origin for the haplogroup in the Central Africa/Sudan region ∼45,000 years ago.... Both L3f (fig. 8a) and L3g (fig. 8b) are rare and also appear to have an East African origin."

Furthermore, according to the peer-reviewed scientific article, Ancient West African Foragers in the Context of African Population History (2020) [Link], West Africans and Bantus derive at least 69% of our ancestry from the same source that provided 71% of Mota's ancestry, 59% of the Agaw's ancestry, and 54% of the Iberomaurusians of Taforalt's ancestry. This is represented in Figures 5 and S3.17 of the article; versions of these two figures that have been labeled by me show that the paternal haplogroup of their shared source of ancestry was E-P2 (E1b1) [Link].

E-P2 (E1b1) is the most downstream haplogroup that is ancestral to all of their paternal haplogroups (except West Africans and Bantus' E-M132), which indicates that it must have been the paternal haplogroup of the population from which they all descend.

West Africans & Bantus:
E-P2 (E1b1) -> E-V38 (E1b1a) -> E-M2 [Link]

Mota:
E-P2 (E1b1) -> E-V38 (E1b1a) -> E-M329 -> E-V2403 -> E-Y175024 [Link]: Mota's entry is id:I5950; if you hover your mouse's cursor over it, it will display the text "Ancient DNA."

The Agaw:
E-P2 (E1b1) -> E-M215 (E1b1b) [Link]: The Agaw tested positive for E-P2 (E1b1) but tested negative for E-V38 (E1b1a), which means that they carry unidentified subclades of E-P2 (E1b1); the only other branch of E-P2 besides E-V38 (E1b1a) is E-M215 (E1b1b), which means that the Agaw carry subclades of E-M215. These results have been recorded in the doctoral thesis Variation in Y chromosome, mitochondrial DNA and labels of identity on Ethiopia (2011) [Link]. Their paternal haplogroup results are recorded on line 380 of columns Q & R of the thesis’ excel spreadsheet, in which they are listed as “AG” (an abbreviation of “Agaw”); 74 Agaw males who speak a Cushitic language and 52 Agaw males who speak a Semitic language tested positive for E-P2.

The Iberomaurusians of Taforalt:
E-P2 (E1b1) -> E-M215 -> E-M35 -> E-L539 -> E-M78 [Link]

Based on this, the upper bound of West Africans' paternal divergence from East Africans was 52,300 years ago, when E-P2 (E1b1) formed.

Also, E-P2 (E1b1) originated in East Africa according to the peer-reviewed scientific article, Origin, Diffusion, and Differentiation of Y-Chromosome Haplogroups E and J: Inferences on the Neolithization of Europe and Later Migratory Events in the Mediterranean Area (2004) [Link]:

“Both phylogeography and microsatellite variance suggest that E-P2 and its derivative, E-M35, probably originated in eastern Africa. This inference is further supported by the presence of additional Hg E lineal diversification and by the highest frequency of E-P2* and E-M35* in the same region. The distribution of E-P2* appears limited to eastern African peoples. The E-M35* lineage shows its highest frequency (19.2%) in the Ethiopian Oromo but with a wider distribution range than E-P2*.”

As for the lower bound of our paternal divergence, West Africans and Bantus' E-M2 formed 39,200 years ago, as already stated.

Therefore, the time frame within which West Africans and Bantus could have split from East Africans paternally was 39,200 to 52,300 years ago - not 80,000 years ago.

The aforementioned time at which West Africans and Bantus' L3e formed (45,000 years ago) fits within this range. Additionally, E-M132's formation 49,800 years ago also fits within this range.

As for the maternal haplogroup of the population from which the aforementioned groups and Mota share ancestry, it appears to have been L3e'i'k'x, since that is the most downstream haplogroup that is ancestral to all of their related maternal haplogroups that I could determine.

West Africans & Bantus: L3e'i'k'x -> L3e [Link]

Mota: L3x -> L3x2 -> L3x2a -> L3x2a2 -> L3x2a2b [Link]

The Agaw: I have not found a source for their maternal haplogroups.

The Iberomaurusians of Taforalt: As already stated, their maternal haplogroups came from their Eurasian ancestry - not from their African ancestry.

L3e'i'k'x likely originated in East Africa, because it is a direct subclade of L3 and because L3 likely originated in East Africa.

Last edited:

Garaad Awal

Do you have any proof that 70% of Agaw carry non-Cushitic paternal lineages? I’m pretty sure you pulled that out of your ass like most of your nonsensical post.

I’m to lazy and busy to dissect your post but I’m definitely calling bs on that stat you made up

Do you have any proof that 70% of Agaw carry non-Cushitic paternal lineages? I’m pretty sure you pulled that out of your ass like most of your nonsensical post.

I’m to lazy and busy to dissect your post but I’m definitely calling bs on that stat you made up
1. Where did I say that 70% of the Agaw carry non-Cushitic lineages?

2. My post is not pulled out of my rear, nor is it nonsensical. It's filled with links to sources that support my conclusions, and my conclusions are logical. What do you find to be nonsensical about it?

Are you referring to this part of my post?

The Agaw:
E-P2 (E1b1) -> E-M215 (E1b1b) [Link]: The Agaw tested positive for E-P2 (E1b1) but tested negative for E-V38 (E1b1a), which means that they carry unidentified subclades of E-P2 (E1b1); the only other branch of E-P2 besides E-V38 (E1b1a) is E-M215 (E1b1b), which means that the Agaw carry subclades of E-M215. These results have been recorded in the doctoral thesis Variation in Y chromosome, mitochondrial DNA and labels of identity on Ethiopia (2011) [Link]. Their paternal haplogroup results are recorded on line 380 of columns Q & R of the thesis’ excel spreadsheet, in which they are listed as “AG” (an abbreviation of “Agaw”); 74 Agaw males who speak a Cushitic language and 52 Agaw males who speak a Semitic language tested positive for E-P2.

If so, it doesn't say that 70% of the Agaw carry non-Cushitic paternal lineages. It says that 74 Agaw males tested positive for E-P2 (E1b1) - and the source for this claim is right in the post: Variation in Y chromosome, mitochondrial DNA and labels of identity on Ethiopia (2011) [Link].

I even explain how to find the data, by stating that it's on line 380 of the excel spreadsheet's columns Q and R. Click on the link, download the Excel spreadsheet, and navigate to line 380 of columns Q and R.

That spreadsheet also shows that 29 Agaw males who speak a Cushitic language and 23 who speak a Semitic language carry Paternal Haplogroup J - and that 35 who speak a Cushitic language and 21 who speak a Semitic language carry A3b2. They carry multiple paternal haplogroups.

Garaad Awal

Are you referring to this part of my post?

If so, it doesn't say that 70% of the Agaw carry non-Cushitic paternal lineages. It says that 74 Agaw males tested positive for E-P2 (E1b1) - and the source for this claim is right in the post: Variation in Y chromosome, mitochondrial DNA and labels of identity on Ethiopia (2011) [Link].

I even explain how to find the data, by stating that it's on line 380 of the excel spreadsheet's columns Q and R. Click on the link, download the Excel spreadsheet, and navigate to line 380 of columns Q and R.

That spreadsheet also shows that 29 Agaw males who speak a Cushitic language and 23 who speak a Semitic language carry Paternal Haplogroup J - and that 35 who speak a Cushitic language and 21 who speak a Semitic language carry A3b2. They carry multiple paternal haplogroups.
Nobody uses E-P2 anymore it's called E-P177

Nobody uses E-P2 anymore it's called E-P177
That doesn't change my point. E-P177 formed 49,800 years ago according to YFull [Link] and is ancestral to paternal haplogroups of West Africans and Bantus, Mota, the Agaw, and the Iberomaurusians of Taforalt. This indicates that they all share common ancestry from a population that existed far less than 80,000 years ago; this counters the user to whom I was responding, who said that West Africans split from Ancestral East Africans 80,000 years ago (and therefore before East Africans split from Eurasians).

In actuality, Eurasians split from East Africans and West Africans first - and then East Africans and West Africans split from each other between 39,200 (when E-M2 formed) and 49,800 years ago (when E-M132 formed).

No. Proto-Nilotic is a linguistic term which is way younger than the genetic conversation we're talking about. But if you mean proto-Nilotic as the genetics of the proto-Nilo-Saharans, then that too is wrong.

Those groups share ancestral roots but even they were a separate lineage. We're not derived from them.

Let me show you a simplified picture that is discreet to illustrate how wrong people are when they say "proto-Nilote":
View attachment 295061
Do know of any studies and papers regarding this AEA population? What about you @Emir of Zayla do you have any information about AEA and when they split from Nilotics?

Last edited: