Somali woman who identifies as African American gets shredded by actual AAs 💀

Unbridled arrogance is usually the greatest indicator of stupidity :pachah1:

African American (ADOS) are their own distinct people that have their own distinct history, heritage and culture. Same way Somali-American or a Ghanaian-American are still individuals of African descent but they’re still their own distinct people.

She’s being obtuse and isn’t accepting actual nuance and context. I can’t stand people like that. Usually, they do it on purpose which is even more frustrating.

Technically, she’s right. She’s of African origin and an American citizen.

But her take is divorced of context or even respect for the 400 yrs that AAs have endured and the distinct identity built by their community. Furthermore, her lack of nuance denies the collective experiences of ADOS and doesn’t delve into why they simply referred to themselves as ‘African’ American instead of a specific African country like she has the privilege of doing.

She’s being obtuse and isn’t accepting actual nuance and context. I can’t stand people like that. Usually, they do it on purpose which is even more frustrating.

But her take is divorced of context or even respect for the 400 yrs that AAs have endured and the distinct identity built by their community. Furthermore, her lack of nuance denies the collective experiences of ADOS and doesn’t delve into why they simply referred to themselves as ‘African’ American instead of a specific African country like she has the privilege of doing.

It’s only recently these distinctions have been made. Obama, who is of African descent, was heralded as African American. Before that it was Afro Caribbeans migrating to the USA who became AA after one generation (Notorious BIG etc). Somalis will be called African Americans in a few generations by white people.

It’s only recently these distinctions have been made. Obama, who is of African descent, was heralded as African American. Before that it was Afro Caribbeans migrating to the USA who became AA after one generation (Notorious BIG etc). Somalis will be called African Americans in a few generations by white people.
You’re right, but I think what makes Obama different is that he had an American mother who kinda legitimized him, along with an AA wife. Although he was more seen as the first ‘black’ president. That was what was mostly celebrated. I remember Fox News was trying to kick up a fuss because of Kenyan heritage and foreign sounding name.

I highly doubt Obama would have been treated like an AA if he was the son of two immigrant Kenyans with a Kenyan wife to tow.

You’re right, but I think what makes Obama different is that he had an American mother who kinda legitimized him, along with an AA wife. Although he was more seen as the first ‘black’ president. That was what was mostly celebrated. I remember Fox News was trying to kick up a fuss because of Kenyan heritage and foreign sounding name.

I highly doubt Obama would have been treated like an AA if he was the son of two immigrant Kenyans with a Kenyan wife to tow.
Yeah true. I do think the whole ADOS and FBa stuff is being funded by some neocons and Zionists republicans. Tariq nasheed is always policing black people for supporting Palestine. I think some right wing lobby’s have realised differences between migrants and AA can be exploited to reduce democratic vote, hence why see the focus on Kamalas lack of blackness.

I truly believe the average AA has such deep seated identity issues. Instead of cowering to their mental health issues by saying we are black (when they allow us) and saying we are not black when they say we cannot all other Africans and Africans of the diaspora should just claim African and their nationality.

Let them have that word and move on. African is your race and you are Somali American.

These people aren’t mentally well. They scream antiblack when Somalis call themselves Somali and then harass a girl calling herself black. Bisinka

Are you American? African American and Black American are the only race options to choose for in forms. This girl knows she’s Somali and is saying her race is black (American) because that’s what she has to choose and what she was told to choose.

The word black and African American both encompass a race AND an ethnicity. If a Somali or a Nigerian were to claim that they were not black American or African American you and I both know AAs would JUMPED down their throats and say oh if a cop saw you they wouldn’t give a f*ck, you are BLACK, stop trying to think you’re better than us by claiming xyz.

Are you American? African American and Black American are the only race options to choose for in forms. This girl knows she’s Somali and is saying her race is black (American) because that’s what she has to choose and what she was told to choose.

The word black and African American both encompass a race AND an ethnicity. If a Somali or a Nigerian were to claim that they were not black American or African American you and I both know AAs would JUMPED down their throats and say oh if a cop saw you they wouldn’t give a f*ck, you are BLACK, stop trying to think you’re better than us by claiming xyz.
Who cares about the irrational amongst them who want everyone to be the same as them? The facts remain that AA are now a distinct identity and Somalis have nothing to do with them apart from melanin levels and being originally from the same continent. The similarity between a Somali and an AA is like that of an English men and a Turk.

As for your argument that Somalis only have the option of ticking AA, then in that situation you’re right, I didn’t know this since I reside in the UK, but ticking a box for identification purposes is a tad different to walking around calling yourself African American when the only reason why African Americans call themselves that is because they don’t even know what ethnicity originally hail from and are a mix of different West African ethnic groups as well as white DNA due to slave masters. There is no reason why a Somali who knows not only his country of origins but even his town back home and count back ten generations calling themselves AA outside of ticking a box.

Furthermore, as for whites not being able to tell a difference, they know enough to target the Minneapolis Somali community and spew specific Islamaphobia with Trump specifically mentioning our community.

They know about Somalis and probably hate us more than they hate Christian AA.

Last edited:

Kisame

Plotting world domination
VIP

We're Somali american bro. Yea were black but our proper identification is Somali american.

Most diasporan blacks know this and identify with their ethnic groups like Nigerian Americans, Jamaican Americans and etc.

Not worth arguing this.

Keo

VIP
It will never happen since we aren't descendants of slaves, that's what the term African American means. We are Somali American.

Trending

Latest posts