Somali woman who was smashed in the face with a beer mug forgives her attacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
A woman who was struck with a glass beer mug at a Minnesota Applebee's for speaking a foreign language came face to face with her attacker in court this week and offered the woman her forgiveness.

Jodie Burchard-Risch, 44, of Ramsey, was sentenced on Tuesday to 180 days in jail followed by five years of probation, along with alcohol monitoring and counseling, after she pleaded guilty in October to third-degree assault in the attack on Asma Jama.

According to a criminal complaint, Burchard-Risch was dining at an Applebee’s in Coon Rapids on October 30, 2015, when she overhead Jama, who is Muslim of Somali descent, speaking Swahili to her family and became upset.

The document detailed how the irate patron yelled at Jama to either speak English or go back to her country, then refused to leave when a restaurant employee tried to step in.

Without any provocation, Burchard-Risch, who was sitting in a nearby booth, threw a drink at Jama, then grabbed a glass beer mug and smashed it in the woman’s face before fleeing.

The attack left Jama with a deep bloody gash on her lip that required 17 stitches, as well as cuts to her nose and right eye.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

At Burchard-Risch's sentencing at Anoka County Court on Tuesday, Asma Jama reiterated that more than a year after the attack, she is still living in fear.

'I use to be a carefree person, and now I can’t go anywhere by myself,' Jama said, addressing her attacker seated impassively at the defense table.

At times holding back tears, Jama said she still carries within her the trauma of the attack but she bears Burchard-Risch no ill will, reported the station WCCO.

'My religion teaches me to forgive so I can get on with my life,' Jama told Burchard-Risch. 'In front of everybody here, I do forgive you and I hope that you choose love over hate. ... I just want you to understand at the end of this that we are all the same.'

The defendant, who spent much of the hearing staring straight ahead or looking down at her hands on the table, said nothing in response and issued no statements after the sentencing, but her attorney , Rod Tschida, said he does not see his client as a 'lunatic' or a' racist.'

'I see her as someone not unlike many others that come before the court that has an alcohol problem that brought her here,’ he said.

Burchard-Risch was on probation for a past DWI incident when she attacked Jama last year, according to Fox 9. If she violates the conditions of her supervised release, the 44-year-old could face a 37-month prison term.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
'I see her as someone not unlike many others that come before the court that has an alcohol problem that brought her here,’ he said.

Her own lawyer is throwing her sideways to the dogs :dead:

Kulaha she's basically another every day substance-abusing criminal not the racist variety :deadpeter:

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
What's with her accent? Nvm, she speaks Swahili, hence the accent.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
I think she came to the US recently but her grasp of the language is great.

And goddamn she fine. Nacala trash woman almost scarred her face.

Yeah, I didn't read the article, she's probably reer Eastleigh

Lil Resse

GIVING RNB B!TCHES DAT SKRONG MEAT, ON KING DAVID
where's everyone that was defending cadaans for kicking out em niggas out the airplane now :mjpls:

You gotta be kidding me:kanyehmm:. Why forgive? Even if the system failed her, I'd encourage her to seel her own form of justice by ambushing that woman and breaking her legs and arms. How can you forgive someone who did that to you?:snoop:

You gotta be kidding me:kanyehmm:. Why forgive? Even if the system failed her, I'd encourage her to seel her own form of justice by ambushing that woman and breaking her legs and arms. How can you forgive someone who did that to you?:snoop:

Anyone can get even but only a strong person can forgive.

Besides, the justice system exists for a reason.

The sentence was light though.

Anyone can get even but only a strong person can forgive.

Besides, the justice system exists for a reason.

The sentence was light though.
Forgiving when you have been assaulted and injured and disfigured and embarrassed like that is not a sign of strength. I don't want to call this girl any names but that's not what being strong means.

Kulahaa she sat across her 'passively':camby:of course she is going to act nice and do whatever it takes to be forgiven. Man soMali people can be so stupid sometimes. Forgive her?:what1:

Because holding a grudge is haram and forgiving is the easiest way to move on. And it also shows her to be a much bigger and better human than her attacker. It's good for her and her community's image as a Somali Muslim, and I applaud her.

I recommend this video, similar case to this incident
Watch the whole thing before commenting on it.

Because holding a grudge is haram and forgiving is the easiest way to move on. And it also shows her to be a much bigger and better human than her attacker. It's good for her and her community's image as a Somali Muslim, and I applaud her.

I recommend this video, similar case to this incident
Watch the whole thing before commenting on it.
:bell: so she has to forgo her rights in exchange of our rep? Do cadaans care? I don't think so. If she had done what the white lady did, she'd be labelled a terrorist and probably go to jail for years. Forgiveness is a good thing in general but not in this case.:camby:

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
If she had done what the white thug did she'd be labelled a terrorist. That white girl in Leicester who was assaulted by drunk Somali girls years ago didn't forgive her attackers - and the British tabloid went absolute ham on the Somali girls.

If she had done what the white thug did she'd be labelled a terrorist. That white girl in Leicester who was assaulted by drunk Somali girls years ago didn't forgive her attackers - and the British tabloid went absolute ham on the Somali girls.
Exactly! Righwing nutjobs would probably blame Islam and immigration policies. When it comes to whites, I believe in no forgiveness even if it saves their lives. I'd seek the max punishment if it was me.

:bell: so she has to forgo her rights in exchange of our rep? Do cadaans care? I don't think so. If she had done what the white lady did, she'd be labelled a terrorist and probably go to jail for years. Forgiveness is a good thing in general but not in this case.:camby:
Forgoe her right to what? Hold a grudge? Whether she forgives her or not, she can't do anything. So forgiveness and moving on is the better thing

White people expect non whites to forgive them or turn the other cheek, however, you will never see whites do the same this is a known fact and anyone who denies is blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.